JSDF Light Armor Vehicle by Jack12477 - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1:35 Scale

I've had this kit in my stash for quite a while. Decided to dig it out and work on it while I wile away time waiting for my left eye to heal from cataract surgery. It had the worst cataract,  also worst myopia and astigmatism,  so it was done first. Right eye dominates so it's been compensating even tho it has a cataract also. 

I hadn't planned on a build log so I never took all the opening photos.  

This is a very nicely done kit. It comes with a die-cast metal chassis which adds a bit of weight to the model. I'm brush painting it with Vallejo paints for now. I may finish it by airbrushing in end, all depends on what my doctor says. 

Okay! The box art and contents:

20221001_113013.thumb.jpg.eb7473bac839091cd87778e856f68059.jpg20221002_124214.thumb.jpg.8642c89813a64e1d4dab5276ffac1d55.jpg20221002_124128.thumb.jpg.0d558216671096bb97867bd40a87109e.jpg20221002_124230.thumb.jpg.54f87c72eb3b3b43a37d453ad39206b5.jpg20221002_124253.thumb.jpg.745a85200d82d62fd4186a6f9bc54465.jpg

Since I had already started I don't have a lot of photos. Below is the progress to-date:

20221001_113043.thumb.jpg.20e5954f809ae1bbf3cf58cb5b48b9dd.jpg20221001_113252.thumb.jpg.2970053862f1944f05da07b46fa26890.jpg20221001_114005.thumb.jpg.ac2aa40cb3a258d7dcfbd11bf04dd470.jpg

The nicks and dings in the paint will get retouched in due course.  

Edited by Jack12477

Same as Alan  Jack,   hope the eye/s    settle down,      very interesting looking kit.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm in Brother...

I brush paint everything most of the time my friend and I'm sure this will look fabulous when done....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Oh I'm in!

Real nice looking kit, don't strain that left eye😉.

Nothing wrong with brush painting. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I'm in.  I hope all is going well with the eye and healing.  Looks like a interesting build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks like I am catching something at the beginning for a change. Be right back with my hammock and peanut brittle, (Just got a new stock in). Need to take good care of that eye. I do not know of any kits in Brail. 🤔

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I think your eyes will recover quickly. Mine did when I had the cataracts cleared up last year. And the build is interesting. Tamiya has done some of their newer kits with metal frames, etc. I have a 1/48 He-219 with the lower part of the cockpit as a metal weight. Good way to stop the dreaded taildragging tricycle gear aircraft. I'm researching paint schemes, since I don't really want to do a dark blotch over light blue scheme.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I do not know of any kits in Brail. 🤔

Oh I don't know about that, Lou.

Back in '63/'64 I attended a George Shearing concert at Notre Dame. He came on stage with two drop-dead gorgeous blondes on each arm, each wearing an ankle length Satin gown, one in Black, other in White. His famous Black and White Satin album had just been released.  When he reached the piano, he picked up the album cover, showed it to the audience (the two models who accompanied him onstage were on the cover) and  asked  "How do you like my new album cover? I personally picked the models after interviewing them in Braille !"  

Needless to say the concert was fabulous, one of the greatest Jazz pianist!  

Edited by Jack12477

That was in the good old days before it was a possible jail offence if they change their minds twenty years later 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

23 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Oh I don't know about that, Lou.

Back in '63/'64 I attended a George Shearing concert at Notre Dame. He came on stage with two drop-dead gorgeous blondes on each arm, each wearing an ankle length Satin gown, one in Black, other in White. His famous Black and White Satin album had just been released.  When he reached the piano, he picked up the album cover, showed it to the audience (the two models who accompanied him onstage were on the cover) and  asked  "How do you like my new album cover? I personally picked the models after interviewing them in Braille !"  

Needless to say the concert was fabulous, one of the greatest Jazz pianist!  

Reminds of old joke about school and taking "anatomy by braille".  Ok... I'm headed to the naughty corner again.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

16 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Reminds of old joke about school and taking "anatomy by braille".  Ok... I'm headed to the naughty corner again.

Was that a "comparative anatomy" course ? 

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Was that a "comparative anatomy" course ? 

Of course it was, how else would the girls and boys learn about what was taught in the two different health classes, the teachers sure wasn't going to teach it... {chuckle} 

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

16 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Of course it was, how else would the girls and boys learn about what was taught in the two different health classes

And now days they have three classes!

Got a little extra room over there in the corner Mark?

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well, Mr Murphy paid a visit to the workshop yesterday. While trying to install the steering wheel it decided to bling thru the space time continuum into another dimension.  Three of us crawled around the cement cellar floor with bright LED flashlights and couldn't find the little sucker. So this will be the 1st MRAP with joystick steering. 😁😉😊🤫

Looking forward to this one Jack!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Well, Mr Murphy paid a visit to the workshop yesterday. While trying to install the steering wheel it decided to bling thru the space time continuum into another dimension.  Three of us crawled around the cement cellar floor with bright LED flashlights and couldn't find the little sucker. So this will be the 1st MRAP with joystick steering. 😁😉😊🤫

You thought about  digging up the floor  with some jack hammers  -  it might have  propelled its self  into the concrete😉

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

No ! But taking a page from contemporary events, I think I will make this a telepathically steered vehicle. The driver has to "think about" where he wants the vehicle to go and it will automatically steer in that direction. 😎👹

Just a thought,  have you checked the soles of your shoes and the knees of your trousers!!🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤭

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

10 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

have you checked the soles of your shoes and the knees of your trousers

I've had parts fall into folds of clothing. This past weekend, my tweezers did the "ping fling" thing and sent a finished pitot tube through the portal between dimensions. 🙄

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I've learned a couple of things with small PE that might help in the future.   One is that I go barefoot when working with it.  If you step on it, you know it.  I have had carpet in my shops (spare bedrooms) so the bare feet aren't on a cold floor.  The other is a small collection of small pliers with the "bent" tips and then a small amount of beeswax applied.  The beeswax can easily be removed when done.   Also, a few toothpicks with the ends coated in the beeswax.   

I've also learned that the Jedi mindtricks don't work at finding them.  So skip that.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

At the moment I am attempting to learn how to use a wet pallette,  paint the driver figure after I first applied black primer, the oversprayed that with white primer holding it so the the airbrush was shooting downward over his head. Next step is to apply a glaze coat using the wet pallette to hold/mix the paint. This is all new technique for me. Very slow going too. 😴 

58 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

At the moment I am attempting to learn how to use a wet pallette,  paint the driver figure after I first applied black primer, the oversprayed that with white primer holding it so the the airbrush was shooting downward over his head. Next step is to apply a glaze coat using the wet pallette to hold/mix the paint. This is all new technique for me. Very slow going too. 😴 

With my figures  I use a pallette  and just  mix  into it  a range of colours  I  want  one colour at a time,   normaly starting with the skin face and hands,     to me  a "wet pallette"  is  just  keeping  the mixed paint  wet  with  water.    Different  people  paint the rest of the figures  details  in different ways  but I try  to  do the  fine details  like  belts  etc first  the the clothing  and normaly  kind of work downwards  with  shoes/boots  last.

Hope that helps.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Well, saw my eye surgeon this morning. Good news/Bad news: Good news is my left eye has healed well enough that he can now do the right eye, scheduled for next Monday, 10th. Bad news is my near vision, i.e from nose to arms length, will be shot. Will have to wait for both eyes to heal before he can prescribe new glasses for reading. But they did give me a pair of those OTC "cheaters"  (2.50) which may work. 🤔 

Meanwhile, I will continue to plod along as best I can. 

9 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Well, saw my eye surgeon this morning. Good news/Bad news: Good news is my left eye has healed well enough that he can now do the right eye, scheduled for next Monday, 10th. Bad news is my near vision, i.e from nose to arms length, will be shot. Will have to wait for both eyes to heal before he can prescribe new glasses for reading. But they did give me a pair of those OTC "cheaters"  (2.50) which may work. 🤔 

Meanwhile, I will continue to plod along as best I can. 

Good luck with the further surgeries Jack! 🤞🤞

Small update

After 2 primer coats on the figure, first black, then white over black, I hand brushed two coats of his uniform green and two coats of flat flesh. Still more too do on the figure, his uniform is camo, like paint splatter. 🤔

20221005_150214.thumb.jpg.f17a108de080974f7c047b95dd39b897.jpg20221005_150433.thumb.jpg.f0d315ca6ef2938b0d4c5075128ecba8.jpg

painted interior of cab green gray. Still trying figure out how I want to approach painting exterior.

20221005_150320.thumb.jpg.61d0b78ea9bd50d8fb6fb2c8ee3f9d72.jpg

chassis assembled with seats and undercarriage 20221005_150340.thumb.jpg.3aee4635a8ce1ac8a99e8f35b6eafd36.jpg

Stay tuned for the next installment of the One-Eyed Jack painting 😁😁 [the camera sees detail better than I do with magnification]

Edited by Jack12477

5 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Will have to wait for both eyes to heal before he can prescribe new glasses for reading.

In the end brother, I'm sure you will be very happy with the change, but it will take some getting used to...

Quote: