Queen Anne Style Royal Barge by Chuck - FINISHED - Syren Ship Model Company - 1:24

Chuck

This way of bending planks using hair dryer is new to me.

Any details on setting up a bending station?

Preparing for my next build

A bending station is literally just a place to clamp your plank and plug in your hair dryer.  I have an old length of 1 x 6 that I put on a table about 4 feet from my model.   The hair dryer is all plugged in and I have a clamp or two to cecure the plank for shaping.  Thats it.....!!!!

Chuck

I love the technology of the bending station! :)

Maury

A very low-tech yet effective use of space.  Having a bending station near by makes for a quick and painless planking experience.

The three strakes are all completed.  I will add the flying transom and nail the planks (simulated) before removing the bulkhead centers.  

Any thoughts or comments are always appreciated.

bowplanked.jpg

plankingdone.jpg

plankingdone1.jpg

baseremoval.jpg

Thanks,  I removed the base holding the frames in position.  Each piece came free really nice with a little wiggle.  Then rather than throw it away....I used some scrap wood and now its a work-base.  I wont remove the frame centers until the transom is positioned.  But first I must carve the inside decoration.  This is the Queen Anne monogram that goes on the inboard side of the flying transom.  In the photo above you can also see the flying transom being temporarily tested.  It fits well.

intransomcarving.jpg

Then I will glue it into position permanently.  The flying transom and decoration are made from boxwood.

The carving you see is just 1/32" thick.  Anything more would be too thick.  So we shall see how it goes.  I havent started carving it yet and just placing it on the flying transom it looks pretty good.  I hope I dont make a mess of it.

Chuck

What a fascinating project Chuck, you also seem to be cruising through this.  Its amazing what can be accomplished with a laser cutter and some lateral thinking.  Any estimates on a potential release date?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks

I have no idea when it will be done.  In fact,  I just want to get this as far as removing the frame centers...I am going back and  forth between Cheerful and this project....one weekened at a time......maybe one day during the week I get to work on one or the other.  The good news is that these smaller boats dont take that long.  Once its planked inboard there really isnt much left to do that is very time consuming.

Chuck

Good luck on the carving of that crown, Chuck.  I did some cutting at 1/32" and carving can be done, but just use an extreme light touch.  Beautiful work on this barge.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks

I hear what your saying.....the trick will be to secure the work-piece to a base before carving starts.  Then remove it afterwards.  I may also simplify the crown a bit more before starting the carving.  I may change those crosses on the crown to simple spheres.  I might be a bit ambitious with the small details.

This is a learning experience for me as well and this kit was produced to give folks some guidance on carving these details.   As I mentioned,  at some pint I will provide resin castings for these but I am hoping those interested will give this kit a try just for the opportunity to try their hand at carving like this.  It will I hope be a good introduction to carving.

Maybe you will surprise yourself and it will be something you really enjoy and excel at.  :)

Chuck

A milestone is reached....the frame centers were removed.

This is easy to do but you must be careful and use a slow and light touch.  File the little tabs on the port and starboard sides to release the top of the frame centers.

removingframecenters.jpg

Then carefully bend the frame center til the little tabs break down below releasing the centers.  BUT....its important to bend towards the floors on these two piece frames.  That eliminates any tear out on the floors and futtocks.  The tear out will happen on the frame centers instead which is what you want.

removingframecenters1.jpg

And this is what it looks like immediately after finishing.  It always looks messy but after a bit of clean-up and fairing inboard, it should look pretty good.  This is the most delicate stage of the build.  The hull is pretty sturdy but until the footwales/floorboards and platforms are in...its best to be careful.  Fairing inboard requires a slow, gentle yet deliberate sanding to reduce the thickness of the frames significantly.

Chuck

removingframecenters2.jpg

Very nice Chuck, this will be another excellent model.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

really nice.  As close to POF as anyone is ever going to get.

Maury

Thanks Maury

Here are some photos with her all cleaned up and the inboard frames faired and thinned down.  I had to clean it up because I couldnt stand looking at it so messy.

fairingdone.jpg

fairingdone1.jpg

Very nice.  I can not wait to see more.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi Chuck, on a separate subject.  Have you ever considered offering a stove kit?  The mass produced items provided in kits are really not great at all, and think it would be possible to develop  a 'kit' from laser cut items.  Would have thought this could also be easily scaled between 1:64 and 1:48 and have quite a market as well.  Just a thought...hoping the answer is yes  :)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Yes a stove and a capstan are mini-kits that are on my to-do list.   They are in fact already designed.  I just have to find time to build the prototypes and get them to market.   

Probably after the Cheerful and barge is finished.

Speaking of the barge.   Just a bit of progress to report,   I am much more comfortable with it now as the footwales and platforms are in.  This really strengthens the hull.   

One of the issues on the longboat and pinnace kit were watching folks not know where the the platforms and seats should be.  How deep in the hull.....etc.  Using this device you will be able to measure off the plan and then transfer the tick marks to your model.  You will mark the height on the frames where each element should be.  This takes the guesswork out of it.  You will use this tool to determine the proper placement for the platforms and seats and thwarts and inboard planking.

First place the tool against the inboard plan at a frame.  Measure from the top of the caprail down to the top of the element you are working on....like the aft platform..make a tick mark

depthgauge.jpg

Then sit the depth gauge tool on top of the sheer caprail of your model against that same frame. Slide it port to starboard until your tick mark lines up with the inside of the frame.  Transfer that mark.

depthgauge1.jpg

Its a simple device but it works really really well.

platformson.jpg

I would also like to comment that in my honest opinion if you get this far with the kit you are about 45% finished.  There really arent that many more parts except of course the carving which will take time.  BUT since up to this point every single piece is laser cut for you it goes very quickly.  This includes the floorboards and platforms.  My goal is to laser cut all of the parts to this kit if its humanly possible.  This goes for all of the inboard parts and planking too.

platforms.jpg

Chuck

Yes but in many cases they would show and not be covered by something.  Also it is very hard to not go too deep when etching wood.  So any slightly deeper etch line would weaken the frames too much.  Been there and done that with this prototype.  The frames are just too thin at only 1/16" thick.  Especially if it goes with the grain.

Chuck,

Thanks for the tool tip. This should be obvious but when building we (okay I) don't think laterally very well. Too task oriented.

This will help when my Pinnace get's there. Still planking slowly due to many other acitvities right now.

Beautiful work on your barge, you make it look easy.

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Very nice Chuck, that tick-jig will make life a lot easier :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Don...

I nailed the planks today.  The clinker planks had a row of nails along the bottom edge that actually went through the beveled plank beneath it.  You can see that in this image of the queen Mary barge.  Black mono-filament was used and this will be added to every kit so you guys can use it and try it out.  Its a great way to simulate bolts on other projects and in this case nails.  It went quickly.  You can see that they used many more nails than I showed but ike the contemporary models I am just showing a stylized version of it with far few.

bowqueenmaryshallop.jpg

I used 20 pound black line which required drilling with a #74 bit.  Then dip in CA and stick it in the hole.  Use a straight razor to cut the line flush.  Its nice stuff to work with.  I may switch to 15 pound line for the kits though.   Slightly smaller.   But each kit will come with more than enough to complete this model and some extra so you can use it on other things.

blacknails.jpg

The molding was added and I even got a chance to paint some red on the hull.

Its summer so sales are slow and I have more time work on the models.  I almost forgot how much fun it is. 

moldingon with paint stripe.jpg

Chuck

Truly exciting Chuck!  I just picked up the Long Boat and Pinnace kits. Lately, the idea of a smaller subject that still has good detail has been appealing. This one follows suit. My credit card is ready :D

Better get ready the day this hits the market.........

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Thanks

I hope you are right about folks being interested.  Its always a nerve racking experience to spend the time and money developing something like this with the hope folks will want it afterwards.  

I am having so much fun building it at any rate.  :)

excellent design and beautiful first model Chuck,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I will order the day it's released, or pre-order when-if that option exists.

Looks fascinating and filled with new skills to learn!

Bruce

"I hope you are right about folks being interested.  Its always a nerve racking experience to spend the time and money developing something like this with the hope folks will want it afterwards. " 

Chuck,  Frustrations of an entrepreneur, but you are doing what you love and are much appreciated by all.

Maury