Queen Anne Style Royal Barge by Chuck - FINISHED - Syren Ship Model Company - 1:24

IMG_0779.JPGThanks

This isnt the best image but you can see them on these oars for the prince Fredrick Barge.  Also note how thin the blades are.   They also seem to have a metal protective band on the edge which I did not show.  I painted it like it is sometimes shown on other contemporary models.  Lots of ways to make your oars/sweeps unique.

192758-1310732553.jpg?itok=KBjxWlm_

Prince+Frederick%2527s+barge+oars.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZULh7JT4y_gLYdoQdE0z

Hi Chuck!

I don't remember if I ever mentioned this but there could be a better way to transfer any decorations on wood - decals.

if you can provide the image for those who wish to go that way than it can be printed on clear decal paper using ink jet printer.

Than just follow instructions for decal transfer. I set decals with Solvoset which dissolves decal film, leaving an appearance of

image painted on wood.

Chuck, that's one. I use the Testor's decal paper which I can get in Hobby Lobby among others.  Used it on my Marie Jeanne model.  I have the Testor's Decal Maker software. And I use the Microscale Industries Micro-SOL, Micro-SET, Micro-Gloss and Micro-Flat solutions to set the decals. Even works on cloth sails.

Edited by Jack12477

If you use this, make sure you choose Ink Jet or Laser, which ever appropriate.  Lots of instructions on making and applying decals on U-Tube.

Maury

Chuck:

Testor's also makes the decal papers.  I have used the Testor's product with great success. The only problem is that printers do not print white but as it doesn't appear that you are using white it's not a problem.  The print your own decal papers must be sealed after being printed with an ink jet printer or the inks will lift when wetted to apply.  Testor's (and others) sell the clear coat in a rattle can.  As with all decals they need to be applied over a smooth surface and dull  or matt paints need to have some clear gloss applied first then the decal applied and then overcoated with dull coat or matt coat to match the model's surface.  The clear overcoat also hides the edge of the decal film - as thin as it is w/o the overcoat you can see it.    http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/tools/decals/

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I think I will stick with paper on these but just give the file for folks to "bash" a bit and use their own decal paper of choice.   

Here is the file.

dolphinsweeps.pdf

Any decal film should be ok, but of course leave it to the individual modeler to decide if they want to go that route and keep the cost of the kit down.

I think friezes can also be done that way (if there is white color present, than back ground has to be painted white or decal printed on white decal paper)

I did not think of sealing the ink... good point!  I used ready made decals and as Jack said, they can be applied even on cloth if set with special solution

• 2 weeks later...

Almost there....

This photo shows the contents of the kit.   I am just finalizing a few more things.  The kit is made from all cherry with some additional boxwood accents.  You get the resin casting set minus the seven items you will be carving.  But the seven items will be available later as an option for those that dont want to carve them.  I hope everyone at least tries.  You get two sheets of plans and printed friezes for the panels and sweeps.   The pedestals and sweep racks are also included.   There will be no printed instructions in the box to keep costs down but the full set will be available as a download on my site as usual.   There are 25 laser cut sheets of cherry and boxwood that range in size and thickness.  The planks are pre-spiled and laser cut for you. The real fragile stuff is carefully packaged in bags rather than being left in the laser cut sheets like the etched panels that are inboard.  They are boxwood and very fragile.

This kit contains everything you need to build it just like I have straight out of the box including pre-printed flags on tissue paper.  It is a fully framed model with floors and toptimbers just like the contemporary models and will retail for $235.  It will be available real soon and just in time for Christmas.

Let me know if you have any questions.

kitcontents.jpg

sweeps2.jpg

Chuck

Chuck, will this kit be beyond the skills of someone with only a couple of kits under their belt? I'm sure the pre spiled planks will sure help. I'm currently build MS Glad Tidings and she has pre spiled planks and it sure helped me learn the process. 

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

I dont think so.  Beyond some of the parts being fragile it really isnt a difficult model to build in my opinion.  BUt I am not a good gauge of whether his should be considered an advanced kit or intermediate.   I would be very interested to hear from folks who buy it and build it for a a more fair description.  Its probably easier to build than the pinnace kit and longboat kits I designed because the planking is spiled and only a few planks are shown.   

Chuck

I have the longboat and pinnace kits in my stash but have not started them yet. Maybe I'll get the longboat going alongside my Glad Tidings to get more experience. I already set the Triton cross section aside while I learn how to do cleaner work. Finishing my guitar gave me enough confidence to try about anything though.

Al

Current Builds:

Looks like a real interesting project. Only question is are your servers going to hold up to all the orders rushing in when it goes live😁

I would be in so much trouble getting this magnificent kit. 

Checking my allowance for this period I am already over my budget so, for now I am sad to let it go.

Would be such a good complement to the Longboat.

Chuck, that is a beautiful kit.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I'll have to dig around behind the couch cushions for some spare change, but I'm VERY interested, Chuck. Can you give me a price which includes the seven carving pieces ??

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

The additional carving pieces will be around $10.   If most want them instead I will probably just include them straight away.  But rather than hold up production more I will concentrate on releasing it without them.  The castings are what take the longest amount of time to produce.  I am actually looking to try and find someone to do the casting right now so I dont have to.  It takes days to make the castings for just six kits doing them on my own.  If you guys know anyone....let me know.

Chuck

Congratulations on getting the barge kit almost ready to market.  This is going to be an awesome kit for any ship modeler to build.   The design of this kit will make us look like expert ship modelers when we build it.  I know you will be stuck in your shop trying to keep up with the demand.

Edited by Ryland Craze

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I am just wrapping up the MFG for the first 13 barge kits.  All of these kits are already sold.  They will be going to the San Diego club as they will be building this as a group.   I am waiting on a new delivery of wood to make the next batch and they will be placed on the site for sale.   I just wanted to keep all of you guys in the loop on my progress.  

In addition,  and this is good news all around.....after making the first 13 kits I was able to get a better handle on the time and $$$ for their cost.  Based on this info I am happy to report that my original price of $245 per kit was a bit high as I can produce them a bit cheaper than originally thought.  Therefore when they are released the price will actually be $225 per kit.  Shipping in the US will be just $7.50 while International shipping will be $22.50 which is the actual cost for most countries while a few others are even higher but I will cap it at $22.50 regardless.

Chuck

Great news Chuck, You dah Man!!

Everyone has been suggesting that I include all resin castings and offer the boxwood carving blanks as the add-on.   I just might do that but it will increase the price and take a couple of weeks more.  I am curious as to what most of you think about that.  If most of you would prefer to have the resin castings set complete as part of the standard kit let me know. Its no big deal but that just means 7 more castings per kit to make.   The resin castings are shown below as opposed to carving your own.  But I do hope that many of you will at least give it a try.

resin carvings.jpg

While I am in Florida at the conference I did manage to update my site with a page for the kit....including part one of the two part instructions for download.   Part two will be added in about two weeks just in time for the first production kits to become available.

https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/royal-barge-kit.php

Chuck, maybe you could offer them as a separate fitting or an optional part. I know for myself I would like to try carving them but being able to order the casting's if I got frustrated would be nice.

Al

Current Builds: