Chris Watton and Vanguard Models news and updates Volume 2

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

will be live soon

I just put one in my basket along with Hornblower

Thanks Chris

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

30 minutes ago, JeffT said:

They would be nice if available in the other boat types as well, like launches and yawls for example 😃

I do plan to have a full suite of these in this form, but they take time. Concentrating on clinker boats first is my priority, as these are never easy to plank in small wood form. Not quick to produce, too, the smallest takes 5 hours to print, the middle size 7 hours, and the 32nd scale hull is 12 hours.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

2 hours ago, chris watton said:

I do plan to have a full suite of these in this form, but they take time. Concentrating on clinker boats first is my priority, as these are never easy to plank in small wood form. Not quick to produce, too, the smallest takes 5 hours to print, the middle size 7 hours, and the 32nd scale hull is 12 hours.

Wow. I didn't realize they took so long to print.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

On 2/2/2024 at 7:55 PM, chris watton said:

Cutter (full kit – various scales) – VANGUARD MODELS

My 1:48 scale has just dropped through the letter box.

Quality is fantastic.  Thanks Chris @chris watton

Now it's out with the paints.

Tim

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

Very nice!

This seems to be a 18ft cutter. Do you also plan to offer a smaller 12ft or 14ft boat, suitable for your smaller vessels, such as Alert?

22 minutes ago, flyer said:

Very nice!

This seems to be a 18ft cutter. Do you also plan to offer a smaller 12ft or 14ft boat, suitable for your smaller vessels, such as Alert?

I have shrank the file for a 16 footer (3-d print and laser cut parts), which I shall produce in the next few weeks (64th)

I say a few weeks because right now, I am laser cutting production parts for Adder and Sherbourne.

logo.jpg

11 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Stopping by your website watching for Adder/Sherbourne updates and spotted you have a “Customers models” section, a nice touch. Are you actively wanting those sending or you approaching builders directly?

You can send them via PM, no problem! 

Am currently masting and rigging Adder (only on shrouds, first job for rigging), this will be another two weeks, then I do the same for Sherbourne. After this, I need to put the manuals together (last job, which will take a full week at least - plans are already fully complete). So am thinking the end of next month for release, assuming no delays for printed stuff. Whilst trying to finish the models, I am also laser cutting the production sheets for each, which is about 30% complete as I type. All PE is already here with me and all resin fittings complete. Adder will go in a Grecian sized box, and Sherbourne Fifie/Zulu box.

After these two, work will start on a medium sized kit, but I will take my time on this, I feel I need to slow down a little....

logo.jpg

On 1/12/2024 at 4:19 PM, chris watton said:

OK, just a little update.

I have been very busy, if not producing stuff, then trying to carry on with my next two smaller developments.

Today I finally completed the hull detail for kit number 15, the gun brig Adder of 14 guns (1797 - Acute Class). 12 x 18 Pounder carronades and 2x24 Pounder carriage guns. I think this has taken three weeks in total to get this far, perhaps two weeks for masts and rig.

Size wise this fits neatly in between Alert and Speedy. The designs were a lot more involved than I initially anticipated, with the bluff bow and foredeck drooping down as it goes forward, presumably to help negate the recoil of the large 24 Pounders.

As with Trial Cutter, it has drop keels, and all hull detail above main wale is pre cut and engraved, meaning very little planking required, which is also painted (or coppered) anyway.

This was meant to be a nice cheap and simple kit, but as usual, I went too far, and ended up with a very detailed little kit with many laser cut and engraved sheets.

Scale - 1:64th (of course..)

Hull Length - 406mm

Overall Length (Rigged) - 606mm

Height Overall - 464mm

This class was a Henslow design, and if you don't like the name, there is quite a choice:

Acute

Adder

Asp

Assault

Biter

Blazer

Bouncer

Boxer

Bruiser

Clinker

Contest

Cracker

Crash (!!)

Sparkler

Spiteful

All ordered and built in 1797

Adder was actually lengthened in 1798 to 97' along the main deck, so I doubt she was ever coppered in the as built guise. Most seem to have been coppered at a much later date after their launch, hence the white bottom.

No idea how well this will sell....

Adder 1.jpg

Adder 2.jpg

Adder 3.jpg

Adder 4.jpg

Adder 5.jpg

Adder 6.jpg

Adder 7.jpg

Adder 8.jpg

Adder 9.jpg

Adder 10.jpg

Adder 11.jpg

Adder 12.jpg

Adder 13.jpg

Adder 14.jpg

The Kent history forum is a treasure trove of info for many things nautical. This link might be useful for anyone tempted by the Adder and her sisters. 

https://kenthistoryforum.com/index.php?topic=111.0

11 minutes ago, Thukydides said:

I don’t know how you manage to design and build so many ships so quickly. She is a very interesting looking ship with the drop keels and bow chasers.

I did rush the rig, cut a lot of corners, meaning it took around 5 days from shrouds to braces - but I only need the model to look presentable for box art...

logo.jpg

4 hours ago, chris watton said:

I did rush the rig, cut a lot of corners, meaning it took around 5 days from shrouds to braces - but I only need the model to look presentable for box art...

I don’t know Chris, your rushed rigging in 5 days would make most of us very happy if we did it! 🤣

34 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

I don’t know Chris, your rushed rigging in 5 days would make most of us very happy if we did it! 🤣

Well, it wouldn't stand up to too close a scrutiny  - used lots of CA for securing knots instead of the usual PVA, so if damaged, it will be a nightmare to fix. Also lots of simple knots instead of the more usual seizings. I have included minimal rig for this, with running rigging being just tyes, lifts and braces - but still manages to look pretty busy up top.

Still laser cutting the parts for both kits, onto the laser etched decks. This time, for both Adder and Sherbourne, I am using more power for the engraved parts, so they are not so light, as seen on the prototpe models (which have the exact same batch of 0.8mm pear I used for the prototypes and the same laser engrave and cut settings).

logo.jpg

she also looks great

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

3 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

That brings a smile to my face, like many I cut my wooden model boat building teeth on the Caldercraft Sherbourne, how kits have moved on! :imNotWorthy:

I remember doing that, I did that and I think a Ballahoo Class Schooner at the same time back in 2000, took about 3 weeks from very start to finish. This one took quite a bit longer, and I hope it will show in the kit.

logo.jpg

46 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

That brings a smile to my face, like many I cut my wooden model boat building teeth on the Caldercraft Sherbourne, how kits have moved on! :imNotWorthy:

Here's my old "Sherbourne Mk. I". Tweaked her to include a spreadyard rig. Never did get a case for her -- she's still sitting in the same wooden cradle.

image.jpeg.2dd9a7e1553e5cb761093d0a69c18e5d.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

I will not be able to get Sherbourne as cheap as the other one, as this is very pre fabricated with many more parts, but I do plan to subsidise the first batch so that I retail it for under £150. One of my aims (as well as making a little profit) has always been to encourage new modellers to the hobby, and not put them off with crap.

Sherbourne has 19 A3 size plan sheets (as well as a full colour A4 manual), with 10 plan sheets dedicated to the very simple masts and rig, breaking the rigging down into bite size portions. I have included here the plan sheets for the laser cut sheets and PE, so you can see what actually goes into the bulk of this kit, as well as a couple of profile plans.

Sherbourne Plan Sheet 1.jpg

Sherbourne Plan Sheet 2.jpg

Sherbourne Plan Sheet 3.jpg

Sherbourne Plan Sheet 4.jpg

Sherbourne Plan Sheet 5.jpg

Sherbourne Plan Sheet 9.jpg

Sherbourne Plan Sheet 8.jpg

logo.jpg

34 minutes ago, chris watton said:

One of my aims (as well as making a little profit) has always been to encourage new modellers to the hobby, and not put them off with crap.

I can attest to your success there! It worked for me. 

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)