Chris Watton and Vanguard Models news and updates Volume 2

I thought I would start a new thread, as the original was getting a little too big.

OK, for at least the next 5 years, I have my developments more or less already mapped out. The subjects cover a wide range of vessels from the 17th to early 19th Century.

For 2023, I have three confirmed. The first is Indy (of course). I may add as an optional extra cistern/chain pump housings. This has been my largest development to date, taking well over a year of full time work, and having Jim make the prototype and taking the manual photo pics and text. If I were to do this, then Indy would have been a 2 year development.

After Indy, I will have the American schooner Grecian (1812) almost ready, which I anticipate releasing in April/May. I have almost finished the mast and rig drawings, and profiles, so this may come together pretty quickly once Indy is released. 

From Wiki:

Thomas Kemp of Baltimore designed Grecian with several innovations. She was pierced for 20 guns, though she never carried that many, and her gunports were unique, designed perhaps to save weight. She had a long, curving stem, and a shallow, less convex bow. Grecian's first captain was James Phillips, and under him she had made one voyage to France. She received letter of marque No. 944 in December 1813, under Captain Knapp.

Not sure how much of that can be trusted, though, as she was not pierced for 20 guns, she has 18, with the fore-most being next to useless due to the distance between port and starboard (very sharp bow, so 7 per side being usable, in my opinion). It seems she had a mix of guns, being more standardised when in the British navy. What I have done is give enough guns for carronades, 6 and 4 pounders. I am sure the 4 pounders were used at the front, due to space issues, with the 6 pounders being nearer the middle and rear - so the modeller will have a choice of what to fit where.

After this, I will start on HMS Surprise, and this should be released this year, assuming all goes well.

And that's it for now....

ETA - My real love is frigates, as I have said before. If I had my way completely, the next five or six releases would be frigates from 32 guns upwards! But I cannot....

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Thanks for sharing Your product road map for the coming year. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks for the update. I look forward to the release of the Grecian😁.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

I really like how your frameworks lock themselves into place, ensuring the hulls do not twist or warp.

That is a great idea!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thanks for sharing your plans for the new models that you are planning to develop and release in 2023. I think the American schooner Grecian will be wildly successful especially on this side of the pond. All the best in 2023! 

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Just had a chance to to check out the Grecian in "The Search for Speed Under Sail". Oh boy, she has really sweet lines. 

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

2 hours ago, mugje said:

Looks quite big! What's the hull length?

Hull Length only - 505mm

Overall Length with bowsprit and gaff boom - 878mm

ETA - and I had better add - Scale - 1:64th

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Thanks for sharing the first impressions of Grecian! That model will be even slightly longer than Cruiser and Jalouse!

It will be an interesting build of an impressive schooner. As the Indy for me is regretfully out of the question (not enough space to build/display and most likely beyond my skills 😒...), I am very curious to see the prototype (and price idea) when available.

Grecian is surely an option for me to get another VM kit!

Best regards

Uwe

9 minutes ago, Oboship said:

Thanks for sharing the first impressions of Grecian! That model will be even slightly longer than Cruiser and Jalouse!

Grecian is surely an option for me to get another VM kit!

Best regards

Uwe

I sincerely hope so! lol

Cruiser is 100 foot along the deck, Grecian is 95 foot, so not a lot in it.

I suspect the price will be around the same as Speedy.

logo.jpg

Today I received the fittings and more fragile laser cut sheet box. This fits within the main box, protecting the parts further when in transit, as the main MDF hull parts are very heavy. 

Indy Box 1.jpg

Indy Box 2.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Looks like a very interesting subject.

I'm loathe to post this because of clogging up this thread...but, I wonder if it would make sense to start a new thread specific to each new kit project?  Hopefully that will keep people on topic and focused, and reduce the inevitable back and forth with parallel development activities, pet peeves etc.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

59 minutes ago, Beef Wellington said:

Looks like a very interesting subject.

I'm loathe to post this because of clogging up this thread...but, I wonder if it would make sense to start a new thread specific to each new kit project?  Hopefully that will keep people on topic and focused, and reduce the inevitable back and forth with parallel development activities, pet peeves etc.

This thread just updates you guys on what I am up to, there are separate threads/build logs by Jim Hatch which concentrate on each of the new kits.

logo.jpg

As Chris notes, these posts already exist in the form of James' build logs for each model.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...

OK, designs for the Baltimore privateer Grecian have been completed, and here are some pics of the 'quick and dirty' build I do, to check final designs. I do mean quick, as this time last week, it wasn't even planked! With that in mind, please note that I have literally threw the bits together on this without too much clean up. All this is for is to check all laser cut designs, to make sure all fit as they should - and if they don't, they are removed, a new part cut and re applied.

I have included a lot more ordnance than she ever carried, but if I just included a couple of 4 pounders and a couple of x 6 pounders, I am sure that wouldn't go down so well. So what I have done and will include is a choice. There will be 12 x 18 pounder carronades, 8 x 6 pounder long guns and 4 x 4 pounders. I have gone with a mainly carronade armament, plus a pair of 6 and 4 pounder cannon - but the modeller can change this if they so wish.

I will also include a 3d printed 20 foot cutter hull and the laser cut floors, thwarts and oars to go with it.

I have included a couple of pics showing its size in relation to Sphinx and Speedy - the latter looks very tubby when sat next to the very sleek schooner!

Grecian 6.jpg

Grecian 100.jpg

Grecian quick and dirty build 1.jpg

Grecian quick and dirty build 2.jpg

Grecian quick and dirty build 3.jpg

Grecian quick and dirty build 4.jpg

Grecian quick and dirty build 5.jpg

Grecian quick and dirty build 6.jpg

Grecian quick and dirty build 7.jpg

Grecian quick and dirty build 8.jpg

logo.jpg

All three of them are beautiful.

Bob

current build                               past builds

Mayflower - Model Shipways - 1:76.8                              USS Peary (DD 226) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:96 (gallery)

upcoming builds                                                                     USS DeHaven (DD 727) - Tehnoart Ltd - 1:192

Statenjacht - Kolderstok - 1:50                                            USS Robert E. Peary (FF 1073) - 1:250

Fluytschip - Kolderstok - 1:72   

Looks really nice Chris. I assume once this is done you'll be moving on to Sophie. With that said, you know people are going to be clamoring for a Jack Aubury figure to captain her.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

9 minutes ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

Looks really nice Chris. I assume once this is done you'll be moving on to Sophie. With that said, you know people are going to be clamoring for a Jack Aubury figure to captain her.

Jim

No Sophie, just Surprise. :)

logo.jpg