Chris Watton and Vanguard Models news and updates Volume 2

28 minutes ago, mugje said:

Great to hear your plans! What do you considering "medium size"? The Flirts and DoK or also Sphinx size? Just wondering :) 

Grecian is a kit I would consider 'Medium Size', with a hull length of over 500mm (vessels with a main deck length of around 100 feet, give or take a few feet). Speedy and Duchess would be Small/Medium, and Sphinx Medium/Large.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

To those who have bought a Sherbourne kit, I have just noticed an issue with one in every eight laser etched decks.

If you have the deck on the left of the picture, with the bitt square hole not aligned like it is on the right of the picture, please contact me so that I can arrange a replacement deck.

Sherbourne deck.jpg

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 7:55 AM, chris watton said:

My 'Future Projects' Folder, what I would very much like to do for main kits before I die. (not included are smaller subjects) - all 64th

I offer another ship that you might give some consideration as a subject  :  Namure 90  1756    it underwent a bit of a metamorphosis  for the Nelson Era but as launched is my choice.  There is a bit of fame attached to it now.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Look what just arrived in my mailbox.

image.jpeg.1543711101ba484bedc2ce5d07bb2551.jpeg

I enjoyed your interview -- maybe someday in this life I'll get a chance to tour your new facilities before getting James to take me to a proper fish and chips establishment.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Chris…the man, the legend. 

is this the NRG magazine all us members should receive?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

7 hours ago, glbarlow said:

us members

Is that U.S. or us ?

I would like to read the article but not yet a member. 

I should get round to joining here in the U.K.

Tim

Current Builds :

Cutter "Speedy" 1828 from Plans by Bill Shoulders at 148

Bounty Launch - Scratch build - FINISHED
85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

6 hours ago, oakheart said:

that U.S. or us ?

Us, as in us members

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...

I have just ordered a Sherbourne and I’m pretty excited about it. I have the Caldercraft version in my shame pile.

I’ve been wanted to build a Vanguard kit since they started but postage costs to NZ are crazy. (Because the kits are heavy and we are literally on the other side of the planet!)

But I am a beginner, Chris is doing us beginners a solid and subsiding this kit for us beginners so I asked the Admiral and got permission to go straight at them.

Im excited to finally join the Vanguard and ask respectfully that when I start my build log that I get a couple of you fine boat builders to follow along and help a new guy out.

So excited!

i will tag along, and learn from you

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

5 hours ago, Jonny 007 said:

I have just ordered a Sherbourne and I’m pretty excited about it. I have the Caldercraft version in my shame pile.

I’ve been wanted to build a Vanguard kit since they started but postage costs to NZ are crazy. (Because the kits are heavy and we are literally on the other side of the planet!)

But I am a beginner, Chris is doing us beginners a solid and subsiding this kit for us beginners so I asked the Admiral and got permission to go straight at them.

Im excited to finally join the Vanguard and ask respectfully that when I start my build log that I get a couple of you fine boat builders to follow along and help a new guy out.

So excited!

Thank you!

Next month, a YouTuber will start a build of Sherbourne, so this may also be of help for you:

Tagliamare - YouTube

logo.jpg

6 hours ago, Jonny 007 said:

So excited!

You couldn't choose a better brand of kits to learn with. Start a build log, plenty of us will follow though many are finer than I!

Simon.

Current build HM Cutter Trial - Vanguard Models

Previous: Saucy Jack - Vanguard Models Polaris - OcCre

In the stash:

HMS Speedy v2023 - Vanguard Models

Nisha - Vanguard Models

HM Gun Brig Adder - Vanguard Models

On 4/8/2024 at 11:46 AM, Jonny 007 said:

I have just ordered a Sherbourne and I’m pretty excited about it.

Welcome to the Vanguard builders, I'm building Sherbourne; it is a very nice (as in fine) kit with some elegant laser work.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:44 PM, glbarlow said:

Chris…the man, the legend. 

is this the NRG magazine all us members should receive?

Yep. The print edition has shipped late to subscribers; I had my digital edition 2 weeks ago.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

On 3/29/2024 at 3:49 AM, oakheart said:

Is that U.S. or us ?

I would like to read the article but not yet a member. 

I should get round to joining here in the U.K.

Tim

You should, Tim; well worth the dosh. Very nice publication if I say so myself* And allow me to suggest the digital edition that arrives promptly, unencumbered by two postal entities...

*Full disclosure: I'm a Director of the NRG, the owner/operators of ModelShipWorld.

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

17 hours ago, hollowneck said:

allow me to suggest the digital edition

Hi Hollowneck  @hollowneck Can I get back issues once I have joined?

Tim

Current Builds :

85 ft. Harbour Tug. scratch built  from plans by Francis Smith. ( FINISHED but no build log for this )

HMS Lightning. kit bashed from Deans Marine HMS Kelly kit ( FINISHED ) yes at last....

10 hours ago, oakheart said:

Hi Hollowneck  @hollowneck Can I get back issues once I have joined?

Yes, but be aware that digital editions of the Journal are relatively new. Send a query to our editor, Paul Fontenoy, he'll have a good handle on when the Journal went digital (nrjeditor@gmail.com). Also, check out www.thenrgstore.org for Back Issues, Articles, etc. You'll discover yet another treasure trove of all things ship modeling there.

Ron

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

12 hours ago, tlevine said:

Or go to the NRG store

Ha - that looks a really good resource, is there an index for what's on them ?

Thanks toni @tlevine

Sorry Chris @chris watton I have hijacked your thread.

Tim

Current Builds :

Hi Chris

On topic question ( I hope ), I recently ordered and received your excellent figure for 'Hornblower', I would like to remove the base so I can fit him to the deck of a ship.

Can I just Dremel it off, not sure how the plastic will respond?

Tim

Current Builds :

8 minutes ago, oakheart said:

Hi Chris

On topic question ( I hope ), I recently ordered and received your excellent figure for 'Hornblower', I would like to remove the base so I can fit him to the deck of a ship.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Honestly, I am not sure as I have never tried to remove the base. I guess a Dremel would work if you are careful.

logo.jpg

52 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I guess a Dremel would work

Thanks Chris @chris watton Only one way to find out, I will let you know.

Tim

Current Builds :

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, oakheart said:

Hi Chris

Tim

I did this and you have to be really gentle as resin is brittle. First I used a saw to cut off most of the excess, then once there was only the small bit near his feet I used a craft knife to carefully shave it off the bottom in thin layers.

The key is to go slow, especially as you get nearer the feet.

BE's suggestion of sanding down would also work.

I wouldn't recommend power tools, I suspect you will end up breaking it.

Edited by Thukydides

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, oakheart said:

Hi Chris

Tim

To the other advice, I'd suggest supporting each foot while you trim off the base.

When you display the figure, consider adding a bit of supporting scenery below the knee to help keep the figure safe and upright.
This is common on stone (and ceramic) statues, e.g. Nelson's column (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson's_Column#/media/File:Admiral_Horatio_Nelson,_Nelson's_Column,_Trafalgar_Square,_London.JPG)

Edited by Pitan

I’ve been planning on removing the base, I thought everybody did!!!  Now wondering if you could print some out without the base 🤔

47 minutes ago, HardeeHarHar said:

I’ve been planning on removing the base, I thought everybody did!!!  Now wondering if you could print some out without the base 🤔

I may try that one day, but please bear in mind I have around 15 different figures, with most in 4 different scales, with the files already made for these. I would need to do the same again without the base.

logo.jpg

31 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I may try that one day, but please bear in mind I have around 15 different figures, with most in 4 different scales, with the files already made for these. I would need to do the same again without the base.

Seems like a bunch of work for minimal gain. Removing the base is not hard.

That being said if you ever go down this route I would say the way to go to avoid too many different versions would be to include a base as a separate piece that anyone who wants can then glue to the figure. That way you don't have to produce two different types of models.