Chris Watton and Vanguard Models news and updates Volume 2

9 hours ago, ASAT said:

Chris, any news on Bristol? 

A little longer on that, as we need to move to a larger premesis in order for me to produce another kit of that size. That or I let Indy stock run down completely, stop selling it and another large kit take its place.

It comes down to space to stock the kit parts, laser cut sheets,materials, boxes, plans/manuals etc. Whe have, or the company has outgrown our home.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

On 12/5/2023 at 9:00 AM, chris watton said:

and another small kit

Now that's exciting :) Any hints?

Simon.

Current build HM Cutter Trial - Vanguard Models

Previous: Saucy Jack - Vanguard Models Polaris - OcCre

In the stash:

HMS Speedy v2023 - Vanguard Models

Nisha - Vanguard Models

HM Gun Brig Adder - Vanguard Models

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

I prefer to wait until copper becomes available again before developing kits that have copper bottoms.

Copper is available, but it is expensive at the moment. What you could do is develop and release the kit without the copper bottom. Sell the coppering kit as an optional extra. If people want to swallow the cost, they can. If they want to save some money and go for an alternative (e.g. paint to simulate copper) they can. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

1 minute ago, Keith_W said:

Copper is available, but it is expensive at the moment. What you could do is develop and release the kit without the copper bottom. Sell the coppering kit as an optional extra. If people want to swallow the cost, they can. If they want to save some money and go for an alternative (e.g. paint to simulate copper) they can. 

According to my photo etch suppliers, copper is not available right now, and hasn't been for almost a year now.

logo.jpg

17 minutes ago, chris watton said:

According to my photo etch suppliers, copper is not available right now, and hasn't been for almost a year now.

Chris,

The world is short of copper and the situation is likely to be tough for the foreseeable future. There is huge growing demand for copper globally from the drive to net zero and electrification. Electric vehicles (which use 3-4x the copper of an internal combustion engine vehicle), decentralised renewable generation which needs to be connected to electricity grids (both of which are copper intensive), etc. Whilst copper supply is under pressure with few sizeable new ore bodies being found or new mines being developed; existing mines are experiencing significant ore degradation and do not have infinite mine lives. Most commodity experts I meet forecast the copper market being in material deficit from 2026 and with the deficit getting worse each year to 2030.

Sure Tesla are doing some clever stuff with 48V and reducing the need for copper in EVs, but it’s unlikely to be sufficient or soon enough. Short of a major macroeconomic event such as a major recession or collapse in Chinese demand, I don’t see what derails the scenario outlined above. 

The current inability of your supplier to source copper may be due to post-covid supply chain and inflation related dislocations, so near term supply of copper sheets to your supplier may return, but longer term, high quality copper sheets are likely to become unavailable again or very expensive. 

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

5 hours ago, James H said:

I quite like the tape. More of a scale thickness and cleaner to apply. 

Same. I prefer the tape over the plates.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

I remember seeing a list that Chris posted of models he would like to possibly develop for the Vanguard line someday and I was so surprised to see the Constitution on his list. For us Yanks on  this side of the pond, the Connie would be a wildly popular model without a doubt. I don't know if I have enough years left to see it happen but, if it does come out before I'm gone, I'll be one of the first in line to buy for sure! 🤞 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

OK, just a little update.

I have been very busy, if not producing stuff, then trying to carry on with my next two smaller developments.

Today I finally completed the hull detail for kit number 15, the gun brig Adder of 14 guns (1797 - Acute Class). 12 x 18 Pounder carronades and 2x24 Pounder carriage guns. I think this has taken three weeks in total to get this far, perhaps two weeks for masts and rig.

Size wise this fits neatly in between Alert and Speedy. The designs were a lot more involved than I initially anticipated, with the bluff bow and foredeck drooping down as it goes forward, presumably to help negate the recoil of the large 24 Pounders.

As with Trial Cutter, it has drop keels, and all hull detail above main wale is pre cut and engraved, meaning very little planking required, which is also painted (or coppered) anyway.

This was meant to be a nice cheap and simple kit, but as usual, I went too far, and ended up with a very detailed little kit with many laser cut and engraved sheets.

Scale - 1:64th (of course..)

Hull Length - 406mm

Overall Length (Rigged) - 606mm

Height Overall - 464mm

This class was a Henslow design, and if you don't like the name, there is quite a choice:

Acute

Adder

Asp

Assault

Biter

Blazer

Bouncer

Boxer

Bruiser

Clinker

Contest

Cracker

Crash (!!)

Sparkler

Spiteful

All ordered and built in 1797

Adder was actually lengthened in 1798 to 97' along the main deck, so I doubt she was ever coppered in the as built guise. Most seem to have been coppered at a much later date after their launch, hence the white bottom.

No idea how well this will sell....

Adder 1.jpg

Adder 2.jpg

Adder 3.jpg

Adder 4.jpg

Adder 5.jpg

Adder 6.jpg

Adder 7.jpg

Adder 8.jpg

Adder 9.jpg

Adder 10.jpg

Adder 11.jpg

Adder 12.jpg

Adder 13.jpg

Adder 14.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

That looks nice Chris. Perhaps I’m seeing things or it’s part of the stand, but are those daggerboard keels on the bottom?

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

And here are some pics of the 'pre-prototype', the hull I used to getconfirmation (or not) of the main parts fit. The channels were changed, as the original plans had them located in different positions, and the main channels needed changing due to the forward most 'stool' being just a little too forward of the main mast..

This hull served its purpose and is now in the bin.

Adder 15.jpg

Adder 16.jpg

Adder 17.jpg

Adder 18.jpg

logo.jpg

1 minute ago, chris watton said:

Yes, in fact, I do mention the drop keels in my post.

🤦‍♂️I see…apologies. I’ve only had one cup of coffee this morning, so far.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

12 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

I love those names, like a “evil” version of Snow White’s little friends! 🤣

I thought they were Santa's other reindeer.....

“Now, Biter! now, Blazer! now, Boxer and Bouncer!
On Cruiser! on Clinker! on Sparkler and Spiteful!"

Sorry it does not rhyme.

As for the model, it looks to be an attractive subject and more manageable than many of the usual ones.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

That is a very interesting looking ship. Different and nasty looking. Will the kit come with masting and rigging? Thanks for the great new designs and kits.

43 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I think this has taken three weeks in total to get this far, perhaps two weeks for masts and rig.

3 minutes ago, usedtosail said:

That is a very interesting looking ship. Different and nasty looking. Will the kit come with masting and rigging? Thanks for the great new designs and kits.

logo.jpg

Just now, usedtosail said:

Oops, sorry Chris. I got so excited from the pictures I forgot what I had read.🤪

:) All of my kits are full kits, all include masts and rig. In fact, all plans for this one are already complete, including the mast and rig plans.

logo.jpg

3 hours ago, gsdpic said:

“Now, Biter! now, Blazer! now, Boxer and Bouncer!
On Cruiser! on Clinker! on Sparkler and Spiteful!"

". . .  on Sparkler and . . ."

***CRASH***

😧

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

4 hours ago, chris watton said:

No idea how well this will sell....

Well, I like it! But then I have a thing for small warships -- the ones that did the lion's share of the work without getting much of the glory.

I read up on Adder and was slightly surprised to see that she had a very short service life -- only eight years before being sent to the breakers.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

There she is! I am glad you went with her, its such a weird ship. And she actually looks better than I imagined.  Kind of the opposite to Speedy which has the most beautiful and proportionate lines. Perhaps you should sell it as a pair under the name "the beauty and the beast"? 

I think it will sell just because it stands out to basically everything else on the market. 

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

38 minutes ago, Vane said:

I think it will sell just because it stands out to basically everything else on the market. 

Yip, I will be watching out for this one being put on sale.  Plus should be small enough to hide from the admiral 🤞

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

4 hours ago, mugje said:

It´s a cool unusual design, I like it! It somehow reminds me of a little tank but then on water :) 

Uh-huh. Ugly little bugger. Placed alongside, would make my Grecian even more beautiful.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren