USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Sorry Augie, I said question and then hit you with 3 or 4.  :huh:

So it sounds like the sanding sealer acts similarly to the pumice in the french polishing, in that it fills as well as finishes.

That answers alot.

Thanks for the time to answer all of my crazy questions. I always seem to learn better from those that understand then from reading instructions. I agree with you on the colour and grain variation of wood and the beauty to creates, although for the Pinnace build I'm wanting to have evenly coloured wood so went with boxwood, as the evenness of colour in Chucks build also I find striking.

I also handpicked the basswood in the canoe to simulate symmetry. Great minds think alike. I feel that small details like that although sometimes ultimately unnoticed by theirselves, make the whole build so much better.

There are just so many options, and I like exploring them all. Thanks again for the tutorial.

I found that sanding sealer worked great for preparing the lower planking for applying the copper tape. It gives a good finish so that the copper doesn't show the grain or imperfections in the wood surface.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the color Ben and Rusty.  The pre-stain made the basswood take the color surprisingly well.

Sherry -  Much of what we create is an illusion.  But fear not -- no attempt would ever be made to pass her off as POF.  Mark would go ballistic after all the work he's put into Licorne :D

Er... no I won't.   I'm mellowing out....  :)   41 days and counting.  :D  Yes, there is a not so subtle irony on planking a POF and framing a POB.   But that's what makes this hobby so dang much fun.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work on those frames, Augie, your choice of stain will make a perfect contrast with the color of the planking B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Framing of the stern has begun.

The uprights are installed in pre-cut slots in the aftmost bulkhead which establishes the appropriate angle preliminarily.  The final adjustment is carried out during the installation of the lintels and sills which frame the stern windows.  I'm trying to be very cautious with alignment here as tolerances are tight.

The lintels and sills are laser cut from 3/16" ply, 2 layers laminated together to form 3/8" fillers.  In the first photo, the lintels have been installed and faired to the stern.  I have taped a template of the windows to the stern for illustrative purposes:

post-56-0-09661300-1379870361_thumb.jpg

The lintels need to be faired inboard as well because of their thickness:

post-56-0-86446200-1379870448_thumb.jpg

Normally this inside fairing would be a chore around here.  But I used a 'pencil sander' (?) I got from Microlux to do the job:

post-56-0-55333600-1379870557_thumb.jpg

I'm not certain this tool is the best thing since sliced bread but it just saved my butt.  I foresee more uses in future.

Tomorrow we'll start to get the sills installed and faired in a similar fashion.  I'll post some long range shots then.

Did I mention this is a lot of fun ??? :)  :)

50 hours into the build.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie, regarding the sander.  How fast does it remove material?  How long do the sanding pads last?  I see you used it for faring so it must be able to remove material moderately fast?  I've been looking at this one or the proxon one.

I've also thought of using a dremel with the flex shaft attachment for fairing.  Since it's rotary instead of oscillating, it should hog out material pretty quickly...

Thanks for the answers, your build's looking good!

Edited by cookster

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Nice to see some progress Augie!

You have the nerve to use a machine for the framing?

Are you not afraid that you remove to much?

If possible I keep mine far away  :D  :D

name-graphics-sjors-328505.gif

Augie,

Good progress... :)

Just waiting to hear your feedback on the pencil sander.   Probably better for fine work than trying to be gentle with a rotary tool?

Is counting hours a new requirement? :huh:  It makes me tired to think about that...... :D :D

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by Script

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Augie,

Nice work.  Good choice on the pencil sander. I'm finding a ton of uses for mine as I can control it a lot better than a Dremel.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The stern is looking great, Augie, very nice work, thanks to for sharing the technique of using a pencil sander.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Nice Augie!!....... like the pencil tool, I've seen it before on MM site, but wasn't too sure about it, seems you have put it to good use!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

nice shaping of the stern Augie ;)    never tried one of those........then again,  I hardly use my dremel.   I rely a lot on good 'ole elbow grease.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.  I've gotten some inquiries on the sander here and via PM.  So here are some details.  Got it from Micro Mark and here's a link to it:

http://www.micromark.com/micro-sander,7704.html

Those of you familiar with my 'brute force' technique know I avoid power tools like the plague.  But way back when I was doing the ship's boat for Syren, there was a lot of sanding on the inside of the hull to thin it out (it was bread and butter construction).  I figured there had to be a better way so I got this baby.  The Dremel for these type of operations scares me....even with a flapwheel.

So it's been sitting in the corner for 8 months and I finally decided to learn how to use it and give it a try.  It reciprocates, one speed only.  Comes with a variety of head shapes and stick on sandpaper to match.  I have 180 and 240 grit.  Did this job with the 180.  It's slow and gentle and easy to control.  I was amazed I could actually follow the curve of the transom and work from either side toward the center.  Not cheap but I have one other Micro Lux tool (mini drill press) and their stuff seems to last forever.

I'll see what else it's useful for. 

Sjors - I didn't break out the belt sander for this operation.   :D  :P

Mark - I think your posts on using it finally got me to take mine out of the box :)

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

OK, Augie, why do you have to find another $90.00 tool that I now have to buy?????? You realize that you have now started another craze of "must have" items on the bench!

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Looks great Augie - this seems like a very useful tool for those tight corners - might be worth the investment!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hey Augie, it looks like you are moving right along! I like what I see so far.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Great progress, Augie. Your framing is done very nicely! And I love your color choice . . . have to keep that one in mind for later models  :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Some additional progress on the stern.

Rather then fiddle with a paper template, I made a balsa spacer to set the height of the sills.  This will determine the height of the windows:

post-56-0-15417200-1379955253_thumb.jpg

The sills were then installed.  Once again the pencil sander was used to fair them to the transom .... inside and out.  It has now been determined this tool IS the best thing since sliced bread:

post-56-0-46236000-1379955497_thumb.jpg

As a final check, another paper template was used to see if we're in the ballpark:

post-56-0-50328700-1379955597_thumb.jpg

Finally, here's an overall shot as it's been a while:

post-56-0-27988200-1379955689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

Thanks for the info......ordered a loaf... :P

On another note.....it doesn't quite reach the status of a thermos bottle.....hot things hot and cold things cold.....how does it know? :huh:

Cheers,

Jim

Jim-

The 'management' of this thread accepts no liability for miscellaneous tool purchases and denies all culpability for any recommendations (implied or otherwise) as to the actual utility of the specified devices.

But heck --- it works !!!! :)  :) 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thank you Chuck.  Not really quick.....just a lot of days with no where to go.  Plus good advice from Ben and Rusty.

So far, so good.  Now we flip her upside down for a few stern ports and fillers.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice work, Augie.  Taking copious notes - and wishing I could do half as well on the simple ones I am building!

Wayne,

I'm impressed..........copious notes......I can only take mine in English.......do you have a translator program or are you fluent in copious?(Like Sjors)... :P :P :P :P

Jim

Augie, would you please clarify what a pencil sander is? That stern is really shaping up by the way!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne