dafi

SMS Trinkstein by dafi - SOS - Stone on Soil - Flush deck frigate of the Austrian Mountain Navy

SMS Trinkstein

Not too long ago, I was visiting my moms family in the austrian Alps near Vienna. Then trekking a bit the mountains, I found her, in 1850 meters altitude, well hidden in the secret austrian dockyards, the SMS Trinkstein, the proud flagship of the Austrian Mountain Navy :-)

800_Gebirgsmarine_3818.jpg

800_Gebirgsmarine_3821.jpg

The sharp lined heavy metal bow and the magnificent curves, build out of the finest local materials that made her as strong and imperturbably as possibly, made my immediately cry of happiness.

Later on, in the mountain hotel, after some touristic Germknödel (yeast dough dumpling with a mix of poppy seeds and sugar, filled with spicy plum jam and melted butter on top), some Jagertee (mixing overproof rum with black tea. It is served warm and is typically consumed during winter), some Schnaps (translation unnecessary) and some more Jagertee my mind started drifting away ...

... and I saw her, the SMS Trinkstein ploughing with 11 to 12 knots through the transhumance of the Rax-Schneeberg-Plateaus, battering the elements into submission.

And I recognised the SMS Trinkstein as a two masted flush deck frigate, a ship of the late Stonehenge-class, introducing the cruiser stern much earlier than any other nation. In many respects these classes were unique in many respects, but it is difficult to gather information due to the secret bases they operate from.

Length over all stones is about 7,635 fathom, extreme width about 6,7 ell. The crew usually were some. 

And my inner eye saw the building up of the mountain waves, the storm-battered ground, cut by the sharp lined heavy metal bow ...

800_Trinkstein_7989.jpg

... and the massive stone breast hooks, giving the needed strength to the stempost ...

800_Trinkstein_7983.jpg

... down to the enormous kelsons needed for the ultimate stable installation of the masts

800_Trinkstein_8001.jpg

Also I saw emerging the great bow wave, being pushed forward by the vast brutal strength of the bow though the untouched earth leaving battered earth and scattered stones all over behind. Yes I was able to hear and feel that.

The ships mascot was arriving soon ... 

800_Trinkstein_8015.jpg

... as was the rest of fresh pressed crew with their cute blue and white dress uniforms.

800_Trinkstein_8038.jpg

And there he came, with proudly shown chest, our flamboyant master and commander, receiving his hat and uniform ...

800_Trinkstein_8030.jpg

... and being the proud conquerer of earth, wind and daisies, master of the elements :-)

800_Trinkstein_8034.jpg

Edited by dafi

Most important messages fast set ...  

800_Trinkstein_8039.jpg

... there she sails, the proud frigate, only the storm jib set, driven by the devastating energy of the elements, riding the crests, her flag beaming with pride, being pushed by her crew to the limit, always facing abyss and downfall!

800_Trinkstein_8045.jpg

The crew is fighting the elements, the earth is splashing high, each hand movement is set with precision. With concision our master guides this pride of the austrian mountain marine towards new shores ... 

800_Trinkstein_8040.jpg

... my Heart will go ooooo-o-ho-o-n ...

800_Trinkstein_8049.jpg 

... and the crew becomes one.

800_Trinkstein_8041.jpg

But what is this? The pilot missed the ship? Still stands on the far off 
shore? This in these extremely difficult waterways? Hastily the crew puts up the blue and yellow flag ...

800_Trinkstein_8043.jpg

... but he? He stays calm ...

800_Trinkstein_8050.jpg

... he knows that he is best equipped ...

800_Trinkstein_8052.jpg

... and so he keeps sailing towards Victory :-)

800_Trinkstein_8053.jpg

Epilogue:

Sometimes later, I was taken out of that wonderful dream, being sent downhill again. But this moment, I took it with me ☺

Liebe Grüße, Daniel

The complete story to be found in german:

Edited by dafi

Now,that was fun!

You might be interested to know about the 'stone boats' that were used by settlers on the Canadian prairies. These were actually wooden sleds to move stones and rocks away as the pioneers cleared the land. When I first came to Canada and heard that expression, my mental image was exactly that of your stone frigate!

Hello Daniel, :)

I record having seen this before, but viewed it in detail. That's a very nice story, and proves that tradition and history prevail over all. The model is a wonder, especially when back with it's rich history.

Well Done Daniel.

Now,that was fun!

You might be interested to know about the 'stone boats' that were used by settlers on the Canadian prairies. These were actually wooden sleds to move stones and rocks away as the pioneers cleared the land. When I first came to Canada and heard that expression, my mental image was exactly that of your stone frigate!

Not just the prairies, all over the country where there was land that required stone removal. You can still find them here and there, especially among the Menonnite communities who haven't yet given up horse power (litterally).

Dafi: A wonderful, humourous little project.

Andy

Thank you all!

My pleasure - building and enjoying your comments :-)

Very appreciated!

Daniel

Ah, Friends....... Between this topic and his disastrous Victory thread, I fear it may be time to send the Model Minions to get poor Dafi in hand. As we say in New Mexico, "His goats have left him". Ordinarily, it would not be so worrisome, but I am concerned that he is becoming an organizational blowhole in the tight knit fabric which is MSW. This last business about him disrobing in public, raving about his "main mast", sadly indicates that we must terminate his further activities with extreme prejudice. It is my hope that some institution will accept a greatly toned-down version of his modeling activities, with only limited access to sharp instruments that he now wields with a relish veering into mania, and provide a course of medication( or, yes, some sort of lobotomy) which will give him relief and protect the innocent public from any further horrors. The current Crypto-zoological catastrophe that is "DAFI" must be brought to heel without delay.

john

Trinkstein?  My German is not so good - does this translate as "drinking glass"?  A fascinating build, to say the least!

Bob

Hy Bob, it means "Trinking Stone", pure coincidence or more, non lo so* ...

;-)

XXXDAn

*I do not know

Thank you Sirs, the joy is on my side !

Perhaps, but there will be controversy over whether the padded room should be 1:64 or 1:48.  :wacko:  :rolleyes:

Ok, lets compromise: 1:100 ...

... let the feast begin ...

;-)

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Greetings from the my Christmas-Eve-walkies to my favorite stonefrigate.

My heart will go on !

Just see and feel the spume:-)

SMS-Trinkstein_151224_8621.jpg

It looks like the old girl got battered a bit by the harsh elements up there :-)

Just look at the foremast!

SMS-Trinkstein_151224_8624.jpg

Cheers and all the best, Daniel

Edited by dafi