Licorne by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - POF - TERMINATED LOG

Thanks for the pictures Mark  :D  :D  :D  :D

Looks like a ship....O wait..it is a ship !   Sorry....... ^_^

And before December 2014 I want an other update with pictures !  :P

Enjoy the Christmas days and I ( we ) wish you a very good start of 2014 with a lot of building time .

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

Great to see an update Mark, The gunports look nice and clean.

Merry Christmas to you  and family.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the likes and comments.

And before December 2014 I want an other update with pictures !  :P

Enjoy the Christmas days and I ( we ) wish you a very good start of 2014 with a lot of building time .

There will be pictures before next December, Sjors.   Will November work?    :D  :D  :D :D  

Very nice progress! Its inspirational to follow along and see your work. In your opinion, whats the hardest stage of a build like this?

/Matti

Serious question, Matti, and it gets a serious answer.   The hardest is the sometimes overwhelming enormity of the project.  The planning, mainly.  I've redone the order of things several times and I suspect I'll do it several times more.  I'm constantly asking myself:  "what have I missed?  A piece, a dimension?"  Second hardest.. the measuring and re-measuring to make sure I'm following the plans correctly.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No Mark, November will not work !

You are retired and do not have much time to do modelling  :P  :P  :P

Like your answer to Matti.

Building is always spending more times to see at things goes where, when,and how things goes....

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Mark.

A very nice build.

I concur with "what's the hardest part" it's so easy to miss or skip a minor detail and your screwed later.

Looks like everything in order(no skipping or missed parts) :)

Have a happy Christmas and a constructive new year.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thanks for the answer Mark. I'm ambivalent when it comes to modeling, I enjoy research very much, but also enjoy to just jump in and just see what happens, improvise if you will. I like the freejazz as much as the classical music of modelbuilding. I'm not sure I would enjoy a huge project like this. I do enjoy reading these builds though.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Hello Mark, I just wanted to wish you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year.  thanks for all your help and guidance over the year as well as comraderie.  I have enjoyed your log and excellence in building.  Have a good one my friend...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... not quite November of 2014 as I promised Sjors, but here's the latest. I finished the gunports (thank heavens it's not a 74), added the ebony wales (chain and main), and began working towards the top rails.  The red arrow points to where I need to fill in with either plum or swiss pear.  I'm undecided at this moment and waiting to see how some test wood looks with the Wipe on Poly.

I also cut out every other frame between the build board and where the cap rail will be in the midship area.  I need to rotate her around and do the other side now.

As for the ebony... if I ever mention on another ship, that I'm planning on using ebony, please do unto me which the Victory did unto Bucentaur at Trafalgar.   Just unload a broadside.   Aggrevating stuff.  The epoxy wasn't holding and required some gel type CA.   I think pear with ebony stain would look as good.

post-76-0-82403400-1388468899_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think you'd need mechanical fastenings for ebony

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

That ebony sounds like a bear to work with.  Nevertheless, she is impressive.

Happy New Year to you and yours out there.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Mark looking very good there.  I don't know why anyone works with Ebony...it is pretty though, but man what a bugger.......Happy New Year

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

I have never worked with it......judging by all I have read,  I don't think I ever will  {I have plenty of India Ink ;) }   your work this year has been fantastic......you have a beautiful hull.   I'll look forward in seeing her in her skin in 2014!  have a great evening watching the ball drop........I think I will just watch the clock........programing stinks since the Dick Clark days ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mark, happy new year to you and your family.  Your Licorne is looking fantastic.  

I actually thought about using ebony for my next build, but I'm glad that I read about your travails (as well as others) with that wood.  Dyed/stained pear will likely be my approach.  Sure looks nice on your Licorne though :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Dick Clark!!!  I still miss Guy Lombardo :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for all kind words, the "likes" and the well-wishes.    I hope everyone's new year brings them what they want.

I think you'd need mechanical fastenings for ebony

I gave that some serious thought until I realized that some of this stuff is only 3/32" wide.  A bit too tiny for my fat fingers and old eyes.

Mark,

agree with you about ebony. its horrible stuff to work with.

Did you try titebond green label waterproof glue on the ebony ?  I have had good sucsess with this glue bonding ebony . 

What are your intensions with your model ?  Fully rigged and fitted with sails ?

happy new year mate.

Brian, 

This stuff seems very hit and miss.  I tried the green and it worked on some of the ebony.  Other pieces, not so good.  I'm thinking it has to do with the "blackness" and maybe oil content.  I'm not fond of playing with acetone but am going to try a bit on some new ebony that's as black as black can be.

She'll be fully rigged.  I'm thinking furled sails at this moment.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Great build Mark,I have read through it in stages during the week B)  B) I think I must be in the minority as I actually like working with Ebony.The bonus of making wales out of the stuff,is it is that hard,you don't mark it when continually rolling the hull over.Believe it or not I am actually ordering some more next week for the caprails on my Caroline build :huh:  :huh:  :huh: .I have found nothing sticks it like thick Cyano.I still give it a wipe with acetone first.

A Happy New Year to you and your family :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks Sam and Nigel.

I'm biting the bullet and have a piece in some acetone which I'll let soak for several hours.  Another has just been "wiped".   The Loctite Super Gel CA seems to work best for me at this point.  I do love the look and feel of ebony... but not the aggravation.   We'll see where this goes.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The love hate relationship with ebony :)

I think everyone should experience it for themselves at least once. It helps one understand why dogs chase there tails, which is what model ship building sometimes feels like, especially while trying to figure out how to use ebony ;).

She looks fantastic Mark and after the ebony is done, you will be glad you used it.

Mark excellent work, as per par for you! I love the look of the ebony, have never tried it myself, I find my sensitivities to CA and even to boxwood dust have me quite fearful of even attempting something as aggravating as ebony.  Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year !!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

• 2 weeks later...

Progress of sorts...at cost of more hair from the rapidly depleting supply on my head.  The exterior bulwark planking of the forecastle in progress, I hope.   I've fiddled with this since New Year's Day.  Tried various methods and I think, I have an answer.

First pic shows the area in question on the plans.  The problem is that it's 9" at the rear and 18" at the bow and it curves out at the upper foremost end.  It's also seemingly bending inward.

post-76-0-16103400-1389340712.jpg

Hahn's solution appears to be a very thin plank spiled into position.   I don't think it would have been done this way.  Also, his upper most plank (the lower lighter one in the picture) is wider than the plans call for.

post-76-0-91980100-1389340712_thumb.jpg

What I had was an open area shown below.  Tried several ways to get it filled. None were successful.  Finally ripped off the thin ebony strip to give me room to experiment.

post-76-0-82103400-1389340713_thumb.jpg

Where I'm at now...  The plank wants to follow the lower most run so.. it's been bent with a twist.  I'll reinstall the uppermost ebony piece after I get this plank and the one I'm working on nibbed into it.

post-76-0-74865200-1389340726_thumb.jpg

I'm looking for ideas that might be better.  I've tried two planks thinned down to 4" at the rear and no joy... just wouldn't lay right. I've looked at other builds but not seen a problem like this.  Anyway... that's where things stand.  Hopefully, in the next day or two, it will all come together and I can move towards the stern area which has issues of it's own.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

If one of the planks wants to run nicely, what about doing the second much like you'd do stealers in the stern?

Lovely model btw :)

--

Current Builds: HMS Pandora 1/64 Scratch

Jeannie Johnston;

18thC Longboat with my son

Previous Builds: HMB Bounty - Caldercraft

Running Round my head: HMS Speedy (1782) - vaguely thinking POF

"If at first you don't succeed, try it your wifes' way"

I'm with Colin on this one Mark. Of course, I'm sure you are now going to come up with something totally inspirational, that does not require the use of stealers! ;)