Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

What the heck ... count me in, too !!
:dancetl6:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

agreed to how well you run the planking....looks very good!   well done with the ebony!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mark - 

Very nice start to the planking, as everyone else has said.  A long, smooth curve to the strake.

You might try scraping the ebony rather than sanding it.  I use a single edged razor blade, which generates scrapings rather than dust and which lift off rather than being rubbed into the grain of the nearby wood.

Looking forward to your progress.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Wow, that's very nice work Mark.  Coming along beautifully.

How are you finding working with ebony?  Will you use it again in the future?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for looking in and the "likes" and comments.

Hi Mark - 

Very nice start to the planking, as everyone else has said.  A long, smooth curve to the strake.

You might try scraping the ebony rather than sanding it.  I use a single edged razor blade, which generates scrapings rather than dust and which lift off rather than being rubbed into the grain of the nearby wood.

Looking forward to your progress.

Dan

Dan,

I know you're right. I think I'm being stubborn again.   I'll sand the pear to "close" to the ebony and finish with the scraping. 

Wow, that's very nice work Mark.  Coming along beautifully.

How are you finding working with ebony?  Will you use it again in the future?

Mike,

Let's say ebony is interesting....  the dust is a bear to clean up, it kills blades very quickly and also discolors the tools from the oil.  But!!!  I love the way it looks.  So it's a trade-off.    As for using it again?  I'm looking into alternatives.  I tried some stain on some pear and it didn't take.  It takes on boxwood well.  Currently, I'm waiting on some Feibling's leather dye to come in.  I want to try that using alcohol instead of water.

I have to follow the others.......

Question,

Are you using a whole plank instead of scale planks ?????

Sjors

Sjors,

All scale planks in length, thickness, and width.  If I look at the pictures of Hahn's build, I'm not sure he used scale planking but I'm giving it a try. I just need to be slow, patient, and careful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You are using an abacus Mark ?  :D  :D  :D

I have to magnify the picture to see the scale planks......

That means you are doing a great job with that planking or is it the meaning that you see the scale of the planks ?

Forgive me if I sound stupid.......

Colour of my hair  :(  :(  :(  or age.......

Sjors

Sjors,

The planks are scale size.  Thus, a 1 foot (304.8 mm) wide plank in real life is 3/16" (4.7625 mm) wide on the model. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You know what you are doing, Mark.

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

You know what you are doing, Mark.

Not always.  But isn't that the fun part of scratch building? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

...Not always....

I see I am not alone in this club ;)

A lot to learn from your log (if I first understand what is going on ...)

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

That is the problem learning then understanding what is going on.  Unfortunately most of the time it is way over my head.

David B

have fun!! with the planking Mark....... you're off to a good start..... I'll bet she's going to be real hot looking with all her planks on!! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 2 weeks later...

Proof of life... it ain't dead yet... :)

The main wale needs sanding as does the next stake down (up in the photo) but I'll hold off until I get more strakes done towards the keel.

Planking on the "gun port stripe" (such that it is) is done.   I'm still sanding and need to finish opening all the ports and get them shaped.

The bottom photo shows in blue what will be ebony..

post-76-0-96031600-1424058692_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-79464400-1424058705_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

She's looking good Mark. It's going to be a real nice contrast in color with all the different wood species in place.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I can never get tired of checking out this build !!!

Just stunning - as always.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Nice work so far Mark!

I really like your built. Remembers me of my own built, the Hermione, also a French Frigate! 

Keep up the good work!

Nick :cheers:

Model building Projects in progress:

- Hermione la Fayette, Artesania Latina:

- LINK TO Forum (MSW): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2649-hermione-la-fayette-by-nickvn-artesania-latina-second-wooden-ship-built/page-1

- LINK TO Photo album (dutch website): https://modelbrouwers.nl/albums/album/11697/

You're making some great progress Mark - far from a 'dead' project :)  The planking looks good and the 'painting' with wood will provide some very nice detail.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

You're making some great progress Mark - far from a 'dead' project :)  The planking looks good and the 'painting' with wood will provide some very nice detail.

cheers

Pat

I was talking about me.. not the ship. :)  :) :)  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Blue ebony ? Nice

Just kiddin'

You are doing space technology craft work, in same frontier to SF. Let the force be with you

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Blue ebony ? Nice

Just kiddin'

You are doing space technology craft work, in same frontier to SF. Let the force be with you

The spice makes everything blue......  back to sorting this out.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: