Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

This bit is going to either make or break me, I think.   I've asked to Admiral about what size knitting needles would be good for a starter project.

Hmmm, if I may be so bold ... I should advise spool knitting, it's easier ... doesn't require much dexterity, and two pins may be rather confusing to start with ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Just now catching up Mark after not being able to visit MSW for a few weeks.  Marvelous work on the rudder boot and now the quarters.  Your research is definitely paying off big time.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, if I may be so bold ... I should advise spool knitting, it's easier ... doesn't require much dexterity, and two pins may be rather confusing to start with ;)

I would suggest a nice ale!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Hi Mark - 

Very nice progress since I last looked in.  It will be a fine model when finished.

I puzzled over the stern galleries on all my sailing models and found that I can visualize them best when I just make them up first as a solid.  I take a block of an easily worked wood like balsa or basswood and cut and carve the surface that mates with the ship, then the sides and last, the outer face.  I am always surprised at how different the final shape is from what I imagined from the plans.  With this in hand I can make more intelligent decisions on how to fit it out.  I have even cut apart the solid to make up structural members, knowing that they already fit together.

Best of success.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for the "likes" and comments... time for an update.

Hi Mark - 

Very nice progress since I last looked in.  It will be a fine model when finished.

I puzzled over the stern galleries on all my sailing models and found that I can visualize them best when I just make them up first as a solid.  I take a block of an easily worked wood like balsa or basswood and cut and carve the surface that mates with the ship, then the sides and last, the outer face.  I am always surprised at how different the final shape is from what I imagined from the plans.  With this in hand I can make more intelligent decisions on how to fit it out.  I have even cut apart the solid to make up structural members, knowing that they already fit together.

Best of success.

Dan

Thanks Dan.   I did a similar thing by cutting the outline of galleries in thin basswood.  This gave me reference points.  I then added cardboard and basswood until I was happy.   At that point, I destroyed them for piece parts.   :)

Here's where I am today... not a major update but it's getting there.

I made the basic frames which provide the anchors for the the windows and planks between them.  I added a stop for the windows and planks and the molding strips to these pieces before installing them. The moldings were carved using a scraper.  

I then measured and fit repeatedly (even remade them a couple times)  until I was happy with the locations and appearance.   The pictures look strange, maybe it's the camera angles but there is a slight curve to these and they are dead on at .5" between the top and bottom. 

Next up will be to make and fit the windows and planks, then the drops and the top.   I have windows plugged into CorelDraw for cutting on the laser but still need to tweek them a bit.  The drops are cut oversize and I'll start working on them also.

Lastly, there's some joinery issues, but those will be hidden with the carvings for the taffrail.  I've them cut to size but not carved.

Now for the pictures.  As always, clicking the pictures will enlarge them.

post-76-0-19695000-1462928228_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-25711800-1462928234_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-42454400-1462928240_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

Just catching up. Yes, and as George so well said - your research is superlative. Well done indeed.

A pleasure, and a learning experience to follow along with your build. Still learning, I am, and very much enjoying the "trip"...

Michael 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Very nice work Mark, they look like they will form excellent bases for your galleries.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Nice work Mark. I look forward to seeing the progress on the galleries.

Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

awesome job Mark!    the galleries are going to compliment the transom wonderfully!   big step forward  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mark - I guess we came up with similar solutions.  Not surprising, but nice to know.

Is it the angle of the photos, or do your structural arches angle down across the line of the wales?  The drawing seems to show them more level with the wales.  

Dan

post-3092-0-45478300-1462976214.jpg

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for following and the likes and comments.  To me, this is an adventure.  And we know from Tolkien, "adventure makes one late for dinner".   :D

I still don't see how your doing this It's a work of art Far beyond my comprehension

Jeff,

I'm winging it.   I know what it needs to look like, it's the getting there that's the adventure.  

Looks good, Mark. And the ship is right side up.

It may not be for long.  I'll probably do some flipping as I do some things to the exterior.

Hi Mark - I guess we came up with similar solutions.  Not surprising, but nice to know.

Is it the angle of the photos, or do your structural arches angle down across the line of the wales?  The drawing seems to show them more level with the wales.  

Dan

Dan,

That's the "as built" config.   The "as captured" (my build) is this drawing.  I think the answer is "yes" they are curved and not straight.  The lower edge of the windows (the molding strip) runs from the wale, drops a bit and then ends at the wale.  The whole thing is curved from front to back.  Hahn notes this in his NRJ article on Licorne which is what alerted me to be careful and think this through.

post-76-0-14758400-1463004627.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bravo and a clapping of hands.  It has always been difficult for me to understand stern galleries.  I am impressed with what you have done.  If i ever tackle something similar I will be bending your ear.

David B

Beautiful looking side galleries Mark.  Actually, the word elegant would better describe it.  The French and Italians always had and still have a flair for elegance.  Quite a challenge to capture that in 3D - - but you are up to it.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice start to the stern galleries! I look forward to seeing how they turn out.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thanks for the comments and likes and for looking in.   

I've spent the last 4 days, working on the two main windows and tweaking the frames for the galleries.  The top was too far outboard and the windows didn't lean inward.   I've also done several iterations of the two rearmost windows to get the fit.  Here's were I am this weekend.   The windows will get cleaned up more (laser char) and then glazed before installing.  I'm going with full glazing as I think it will look better.  I'll also add the planking between them and finalize the forward most window.   I'm hoping that it will have the 3 panes wide but we'll have to see.  I'm thinking that this window was overall narrower than the other two with rectangular panes instead of square-ish.

Here's the pictures.  The first picture shows the "lean" that I was talking about with the red lines for emphasis.  The other two just show the window placement.

post-76-0-82549500-1463290275_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-87564300-1463290329_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-25773400-1463290337_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for the comments and likes and for looking in.   

I've spent the last 4 days, working on the two main windows and tweaking the frames for the galleries.  The top was too far outboard and the windows didn't lean inward.   I've also done several iterations of the two rearmost windows to get the fit.  Here's were I am this weekend.   The windows will get cleaned up more (laser char) and then glazed before installing.  I'm going with full glazing as I think it will look better.  I'll also add the planking between them and finalize the forward most window.   I'm hoping that it will have the 3 panes wide but we'll have to see.  I'm thinking that this window was overall narrower than the other two with rectangular panes instead of square-ish.

Here's the pictures.  The first picture shows the "lean" that I was talking about with the red lines for emphasis.  The other two just show the window placement.

attachicon.gif3-23e.JPGattachicon.gif3-23f.JPGattachicon.gif3-23g.JPG

Outstanding Mark,  the detail is excellent....

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Hi Mark

Very nice!  That looks like four days of hard work which has really paid off.

You must be itching to release the hull from the Building Board...but, I understand that you may be reluctant to do so until you're absolutely sure that the time's right.  I admire your patience.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Mark,

Lovely detail, Thinking things over, and trying out several scenarios led you to a very nice result. Hold on to it, you've nearly finished another significant item

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Sometimes the thought process is as rewarding as the result of actually building it and you have hit both nails on the head.

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Nice job Mark, but tell me how did you ever make those tiny window casings? Did you use the laser cutter? Those look perfect.

Enormous time for something smaller than a coin .... Sounds familiar ... Our destiny

Briliant work, Mark !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hi Mark

Great work, gallery looks really good!

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Thanks again for the comments, the likes, and the visit.  

Hi Mark

Very nice!  That looks like four days of hard work which has really paid off.

You must be itching to release the hull from the Building Board...but, I understand that you may be reluctant to do so until you're absolutely sure that the time's right.  I admire your patience.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

I've been thinking about it.. but risk at this point until the inside has beams, decks and ceilings is just too great.  But I am going to start cutting some of the frame extensions as I will be needing the clearance to work.

Nice job Mark, but tell me how did you ever make those tiny window casings? Did you use the laser cutter? Those look perfect.

Great work Mark! After making the Windows on my enterprise I have a feel for how difficult that is and yours are way more complicated than mine.
I too want to know how you did your casing and millions.

Sam

The windows are close to 1/2" (12mm) high and 3/8" (9.5 mm) wide.  The mullions are about 1/32" (0,8 mm) wide as is the outer frame.  I'm cheating and  cutting them in one piece on the laser cutter (aka Death Star) from 1/16" (1.6mm) sheet of Euro Boxwood as I really don't think I could do these by hand.

The people making their windows with mortised joints are incredible.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

G'day Mark

Been busy for the past 2 weeks and haven't been able to get on and catch up.

Oh, mate great work on your research on the gallery windows. Glad it's you and not me! I think it was you that has a desk plaque quoting something about Apollo 11 like 'we are doing this not because it's easy, but because it's hard'. Or something similar.

So mate the gallery windows are your 'moon'.

havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...