Beavers Prize 1777 by Mike Y - 1:48 - POF - Hahn style

NIce scarph joints, Mike.  Always better to be a bit tight than too loose.  Tight can be fixed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Deck clamp installation is in progress.

Some clamps are curved (bow and stern), edge bending will not really work with such thick planks, so cut them to shape.

Tracing paper helps a lot, just make sure it is fixed in place and will not move:

post-5430-0-76795700-1464457639_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-44559700-1464457650_thumb.jpg

In a meanwhile, was trying to make treenails. I do not trust the glue joint between the deck clamps and the frames, it might be too weak for the humidity varations. So will reinforce it with a boxwood treenails, brass nails would be really hard to sand inside the hull.

Drawing through drawplate is really difficult after 0.7mm diameter, and is also very time consuming.

Tried another method - drilling with a hypodermic needle, sharpened as a crown.

So far my experiments failed - after first few nails wood gets stuck inside the nail and you get burned holes.

After careful reading, seems like the trick is to bend the edges of the needle to the inside, so there would be a gap between the inner surface of a needle and a treenail.

Tried the same idea with a large needle (designed to inflate balls) - but it is not polished inside, so I get burned wood again.

Also, dremel drilling stand vibrates too much, so mill is the only option for that method.

post-5430-0-35614300-1464457660_thumb.jpg

Test results, fail:

post-5430-0-28048100-1464457662_thumb.jpg

Ordered a bigger hypodermic needles, will try again.

Hi Mike,

Would bamboo be easier to draw than boxwood? Instead of brass nails maybe you could use copper. I would think that you could file the nails down if you used a #0 or #2 flat riffler without damaging the hull. http://www.ottofrei....nd-LR12711.html. Anyway, just a thought

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Hi Mike,

Would bamboo be easier to draw than boxwood? Instead of brass nails maybe you could use copper. I would think that you could file the nails down if you used a #0 or #2 flat riffler without damaging the hull. http://www.ottofrei....nd-LR12711.html. Anyway, just a

Thanks for the advice!

I experimented with brass wire, copper wire and a boxwood treenail on the pear plank with tung oil on top.

Copper looks a bit not how I want it, brass looks better, but both are very difficult to sand/file if it is a concave surface inside the hull. Also, I am not confident in the glue bond between the nail and wood if using CA, and do not have an experience with CA.

So boxwood is the safest way to go. Bamboo is too grainy when exposed cross-grain.

Yes, I was reading that topic and followed advices from it. Hope that method will work with a larger needle, waiting for it to arrive. Edited by Mike Y

Unless the wood grain of the boxwood is absolutely straight, it will not draw without breaking in smaller sizes. Use split bamboo, as Mike suggests.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Unless the wood grain of the boxwood is absolutely straight, it will not draw without breaking in smaller sizes. Use split bamboo, as Mike suggests.

Yes, the grain is not perfectly straight in the pieces I tried. Bamboo seems a bit too grainy when used as a treenail.. Will try it again though, thanks for the advice!

Current status: need more clamps to install the deck clamps! :)

post-5430-0-99612900-1464533139_thumb.jpg

I fitted joints to be a bit loose, so they are clearly visible from the outside:

post-5430-0-40471500-1464533141_thumb.jpg

The only problem is a not perfectly smooth run of the clamps around midship. I made them out of 100% straight planks, instead should have curved them just a little bit. Well, next time, on the next model :)

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I have some wrong bamboo... It looks very uneven.

Did a test. Swiss pear, tung oil as finish.

Two photos done with different lightning.

Top plank, left: brass

Top plank, middle: castello boxwood

Top plank, right: copper

Bottom plank: bamboo

post-5430-0-24890100-1465327630_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-42230900-1465327631_thumb.jpg

The lighting certainly changed things considerably!

Might be just my bad eye sight but the bamboo doesn't seem quite right does it.

The top middle castello looks nice.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I use normally veneer for treenails, if I need a diameter smaller 0.7mm. For pear I uss pear treenails.

I cut small square strips. Then I  draw them 3-4 times through the draw plate. They are not perfectly round, but I can hammering them in the whole. After this the are round.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Been busy with apartment renovations - painting, painting, painting, and replacing all floors with a nice oak hardwood :)

Finally back to modelling!

Treenailing the deck clamp, with a plastic pattern to mark holes accurately:

post-5430-0-00043300-1469647484_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-38517700-1469647485_thumb.jpg

Beautiful, clean, crisp, and very sharp looking, Mike.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice...indeed.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hi Mike

Whoever said/thought that the framework of a hull isn't beautiful, obviously hasn't seen your work.  Talk about precise, symmetrical and down right, just plain gorgeous...oh, and the workmanship's not too bad, either ;)  ;)  ;) .  

Nice stuff!

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks for all the warm words, it is very encouraging!

Ugh, I am ashamed to admit, but this is just a pencil marked locations for the nails. Not the real nails. :) 

The treenailing itself is in progress and mostly done, but no photos yet. Realised that hand drill is not the way to go - takes 15-20sec to drill each hole, and fingertips are hurting after a hundred of holes. Building process should be a pleasure, so need to change the process to make it enjoyable :)

Not enough space to use the rotary tool, even the mini dremel. Ordered a tiny chuck and a small motor, should be enough to make a micro drill.

Drilling with a pin chuck is very time consuming - been there, done that! I hope you can mini-mechanize the process. Look forward to seeing your home-made drill for small spaces.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

hi mike

looking very good.

i tend to use precut boxwood for my treenails.......available from most good veneer suppliers in 1 metre lengths.

the grain tends to be nice and straight and ive managed to pull 0.4mm diameter treenails with the byrnes drawplate.

it does break but usually end up with lengths that are more than usable.

in england they are available in various dimensions .....the smallest i ve found are 0.5mm sqaure.

original marquetry  and timberline are two good companys.

looking forward to more progress.

cheers....mick

• 4 weeks later...

Quite unexpectedly ended up in Hamburg maritime museum. Unfortunately I only had 45min to visit it, and the museum is big - 9 floors of maritime history! It was also full of great models, including Oliver Cromwell! I was really surprised to see it in the museum, considering a very boring history behind that ship. 

The model is good, seems to be done in a fully framed manner, but 95% planked. There is a small opening in the bottom of the hull, which is barely visible. 

Sorry for the poor photo quality, museum has a soft light which makes it cozy, but hard to make photos (especially on a phone)

post-5430-0-71043500-1471778060_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-39377400-1471778062_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-30631000-1471778063_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-32735900-1471778064_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-56709900-1471778065_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-12437700-1471778066_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-13171100-1471778067_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-69444200-1471778067_thumb.jpg

Decor:

post-5430-0-19914200-1471778059_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-69078500-1471778068_thumb.jpg

My modelling progress is quite slow,  barely find few hours per week to work on it.

Still installing various deck clamps:

post-5430-0-07259000-1471784557_thumb.jpg

Using scrapers to make the final shaping of the clamps when they are already installed. Straight or curved, depending on a section:

post-5430-0-42147700-1471784553_thumb.jpg

post-5430-0-04633600-1471784555_thumb.jpg

And a final polish with a straight xacto blade, it barely removes any material, but leaves a nice finish, better than sandpaper for such tight locations:

post-5430-0-93398200-1471784555_thumb.jpg