La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

@jdbondy

Thank you for your interest and positive response.

Continuation: Equipment of the main yard - Tacks and sheets
First of all, I would like to thank G. Delacroix for his interesting contribution.
In addition to his information, I was able to read the following in a French standard work on the rigging of sailing ships in the 19th century "Manuel de gréement par F.-A. Costé, Paris1829":

Manueldegrement_par_F.-A._Cost_Paris_1829_Amures.thumb.jpg.8a0f2467c0477c56057454ab062aaff5.jpg

Manueldegrement_par_F.-A._Cost_Paris_1829_Ecoutes.thumb.jpg.dd1125dfca51eb0b94f8227234e1eabe.jpg

Thus, in the time of the La Créole, the tacks and sheets of the lower sails were definitely also made of Grelins (cable-laid ropes). 
In addition, these also served for the standing parts.

In any case, a very interesting information, which I will try to implement adequately on my model.
Here are the first attempts to make a "Grelin":

DSC01251.thumb.jpg.69c041f88c4f82eaf6259d6d4db85ce5.jpg

See you soon ....

Completion: Equipment of the main yard
With the fixing of the studding sail booms to the main yard, another small milestone was reached: The main yard is finished with all equipment elements and prepared for mounting on the model, which will be done later.

DSC01271.thumb.jpg.348f9b960e9d3fb28f930eb19815e568.jpg

DSC01274.thumb.JPG.444284142027fca0a2a3b35fd906716c.JPG
In the next step I will equip the fore yard with the takele elements. I will certainly make faster progress with this, since I have already prepared some equipment parts and many clarifications of execution details have also already been made.

To be continued ...

Equipment of the fore yard - Blocks for the sheets and clewline - Poulies d'ecoute et Poulies de cargue de point
At the moment I am busy with the equipment of the fore yared. Basically it is the same work as for the main yard, but everything a bit smaller. In order to avoid repetitions of the previous reports, I will try to go into one or the other manufacturing detail in more detail in this section of the work.
I tried to determine the length of the strops for the yard blocks with a thin brass wire, as shown below in the example for the sheet blocks.

DSC01277.thumb.jpg.9224e08bf3f40fb0af63c49cd8aa6795.jpg

When making the strops, the areas of the eye splices are served first, and then the entire length is served between them.
The round seizings, as shown in the following illustration, I try to lay the turns as neatly as possible next to each other, and then use two strokes across to form the finish, as was probably done in the original.
Plattbindselung.thumb.jpg.bfa85f095d12d44f03a87133a3cb8077.jpg 

DSC01289.thumb.jpg.a806550c85d4d515b1d952a66139b79e.jpg

Analogous to the Großrah, the blockstrops were then attached to the fore yard at the appropriate positions using rose lashing.
DSC01291.thumb.jpg.886be45097c2d2d1ff23ca4b4d4c3606.jpgDSC01292.thumb.jpg.60d19dcffe6d8df1508736d7e0500d91.jpg DSC01293.thumb.jpg.6e8e4a6a953452942d103e8753e4e5b9.jpg
In the next step I will prepare the truss pendants with ø 34 mm (in model scale ø 0.70 mm) for the fore yard.
To be continued ...

Edited by archjofo

Continuation: Equipment of the fore yard -Truss pendants / Drosse d'une basse vergue 
As announced, I made the truss pendants for the fore yard. The truss pendants consists of two partly served ropes, at each end of which a thimble was spliced in. In the following picture you can see how one side of the truss pendants is attached to the yard by means of lashing. Later it will be moved to the right position.

DSC01294.thumb.jpg.e40746547e453dbd8bde5d9a082a74af.jpg

The next picture shows the finished truss pendants. Admittedly, it looks a bit wild, but I think you can see it so far.

DSC01300.thumb.jpg.424869bf996c0c20c2049c0d2b0efe05.jpg

In this context, I show an illustration that once again clarifies the functional principle of the truss pendants. Unlike the British, where the ropes went to the deck for mooring, the French led the rope ends upward over sheave gates in the trestle trees to the top. There they were lashed down with tackles.

truss_pendants_.thumb.jpg.5ee3836f8bf8956d1b652f5532685854.jpg

As with the main yard, the position of the two quarter blocks is secured with a strop so as not to be pulled toward the ends of the yards by the sheets.

DSC01297.jpg.e2b0b6c1d4a1d195b17d269a13169aef.jpg

Not to be forgotten is the jackstay of the fore yard, which I will do next.
To be continued ...

It's clear from your log that you can rig almost everything on the yard before installing it. I found it exceedingly difficult to rig the truss pendants after the yards were installed. The next ship I rig will be done using many of your techniques!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I once watched a movie where some fictive person built an airplane model with every detail and every authentic material. When it was finished he gave it to some children as a present. A few days later he asked them where it was and they answered: "We filled up the tank and it just flew away . . . "  Your model is so authentic and so unbelievably detailed it may just sail away one day 😊

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

@wefalck

That is very true, and I think that one or the other was involved with a specific work.

@dvm27

Glad I could give you a suggestion. That is an honor for me.

@druxey

Glad you like it. 
The rose lashings looks more difficult than it actually is. Just give it a try. 

@Gahm

I hope not ...  😁

Thanks to all for the interest and the LIKES.

Continuation: Equipment of the fore yard - Jackstay / Filière d`envergure; Blocks for buntlines and clewlines / Poulies de cargue fond et poulies de boulin
I would like to explain the installation of the jackstay in a little more detail using the fore yard as an example. According to my research and the Paris model, the jackstay was completely served to obtain the required stiffness. The eye splices for the yard arms and the thimbles of the tackle in the center of the yard were also served. 

How to implement this for the model in conjunction with the eyebolts? 

The solution is a bit tricky, but quite feasible, as shown in the following photo collage. I think the pictures are so far self-explanatory.

DSC01313.thumb.jpg.34f90a2ca5ab64b8aec6764306d89229.jpg

The assembly on the yard, on the other hand, was very easy to accomplish.

DSC01316.thumb.JPG.f275565dfd2ea5003d28ba7899bdd636.JPG

The rope for the tackle was pulled in and lashed as well as the blocks for buntlines and clewlines were already attached. 

DSC01322.thumb.jpg.6e3e640bb8ce8ddcb49685278833b2d5.jpg
 DSC01320.thumb.jpg.6a7d221462ac580fb2e26b9c6e6dd95a.jpg

To be continued ...

Absolutely spectacular! Initially I did not understand the threading of the serving line through the eyebolts but after further study it makes sense. Very good job of figuring out the necessary order of events to end up where you did.

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

• 4 weeks later...

@jdbondy

@matiz

Thank you very much for the nice comments. Thanks also to everyone else for the many LIKES.

Hello fellow colleagues,

back from Italy I escaped straight to the cool basement shipyard ... 😁
But apart from a few "finger exercises" I didn't get much done. I guess I have to "groove in" first, to put it drum-wise... 😁

Continued: Equipment of the fore yard -footropes and stirrups - Marchepieds et étrier

In the meantime, the footropes and stirrups for the fore yard have been completed. With the help of the following photomontage I just want to give you a few more insights into the production of the details.

DSC01337.thumb.jpg.cb5fe8d38f43b09aa6682848e22c115a.jpg
On the next picture I show the current equipment level of the fore yard, where not too much is missing anymore.

DSC01373.thumb.jpg.86eb7fb76d98e2bc065546d3b16604a1.jpg
Up soon ...

Edited by archjofo

Continuation: Equipment of the fore yard - Bream blocks - Poulie de bras
In the context of the production of the brace blocks with stroops for the fore yard, I would like to go into more detail here as well.
The length of these blocks is 24 cm in the original, which corresponds to 5 mm in 1:48 scale. With this block size I do not use extra sheaves, but work them out of the wood.
The served strops for the blocks of the fore braces on my corvette were connected by thimbles, which was commonly called "dog and bitch" connection (see drawing).

Longridge_dog_and_bitch_thimle.thumb.jpg.84e5001c9bb7152fe74290ed02f79a78.jpg

Source: The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships - Longridge, C. Nepean - Spritsail yard of HMS Victory

The following picture shows a brace block with the prepared strops and the thimbles already connected. The connections of the strops can be seen by the dark color of the super glue. These areas will be covered later by the lashing and will then no longer be visible.

DSC01355.thumb.jpg.06f4c90d1ed646a60ffa6b889748f60a.jpg

The manikin is to show the scale of the block with the strops.

DSC01357.thumb.jpg.5a41a050f534142410bb25ab8d9c0f55.jpg

The next picture shows how the lashing is applied around the gluing area.  

DSC01358.thumb.jpg.368bca39faa5acab245a21330fa6780d.jpg
Here you can see the finished rigging element.

DSC01362.thumb.jpg.fb5ad5e0b445083850c8a5e21cd56536.jpg
The next picture shows the port side yardarm of the fore yard.  

DSC01377.thumb.jpg.223664bfb214a4879f864378de8ce1cb.jpg
In order from the inside out, the following rigging elements are already in place:
- Grommet strop
- Jackstay
- thimble strop for clew
- footrope
- Strop for yard tackle
- Strop with brace block
DSC01377a.thumb.jpg.d37d474dda29a1fa473d00ab31dc1797.jpg 
Finally the lifts and the fore yard sheets are missing, as well as the studding sail booms
To be continued ...

Edited by archjofo

Except I would be concerned that the stropp mit brassenblock could slip out over the sheet sheave when the yard is braced hard over.  Notice it's inside the lift block in the drawing.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

So now we have interlocking thimbles?? Come on, Johann, this just isn't fair to those of us who might try to keep up!

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

@druxey

@JerryTodd

@jdbondy

Hello fellow colleagues,
I am really happy about this feedback. Thanks a lot for this, also for the many LIKES.

Jerry,
Thanks for the hint.
OK, my mistake, I should have attached the lifts.

So don't worry, once the lifts are in place, they will of course prevent the strop for the brace block from being pulled out over the sheet sheave.
I've done that in the meantime, as you can see in the picture.

DSC01381.thumb.jpg.9004b690c5eb3b75229055ee6c1743be.jpg

The rope for the sheet has also been drawn in.

Johann
Thank you so much for this thread and sharing your workmanship, talent, and eye for detail with us in your beautiful photography. 
It makes me very happy when I get a notification in my email that there's another post in this thread with new beautiful images of beautiful details to see.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

@JerryTodd

Thank you for your praise. Nice to hear.

Continued: Equipment of the fore yard - topsail sheets, lifts and studding sail booms
In the meantime, the topsail sheets, the lifts and the studding sail booms were attached to the fore yard for my little French girl.

DSC01387.thumb.jpg.ccf551d9c23a1fa4c999dcbdd2a670c0.jpgI almost forgot an important detail to complete the equipment of the fore yard, namely the arrangement of the blocks for the clewlines, the sheets and the tacks.
I'll do that again and report back soon.

So see you soon...

Completion: Equipment of the fore yard
With the production and arrangement of the blocks for the clewlines, sheets and tacks, the fore yard is fully equipped and is set aside until assembly on the model.

At the end of this work on the fore yard, here are a few more pictures:

DSC01390.thumb.jpg.b4d2be76c24c2ec88795fc1a89ed2fc1.jpg

DSC01398.thumb.jpg.31111e19c5a6efd3a7f3d14411b60162.jpg

DSC01402.thumb.jpg.25d289716e07e26000fc9fab942f78ae.jpg

The last of the lower yards that still needs to be equipped is the mizzen yard.
Sequel follows …

Equipment of the mizzen yard - Slings and Quarterblock / Suspentes et poulie d'ecoute
The mizzen yard of the La Créole had no jackstay and only a quarter block for deflecting the sheets in the middle of the yard. This block was therefore designed as a double block, as can be seen in the following detailed photo of the Paris model.

Monographie_Schotblock.thumb.jpg.4643b5cdff54fd8d79508e7bde3cd6b0.jpg
Source: La Créole monograph by J. Boudriot, page 168

Based on these double blocks with a length of 5.6 mm in model size, I would like to explain my method of block production in more detail.
I scale the drawing of a double block from the Atlas du génie maritime to the required size and glue the printout to a strip of pear wood with the appropriate dimensions. Since I use separate discs for this block size, the disc gates are milled in the next step. In this case with a width of 0.6 mm.
After shaping with an emery file, the grooves for the strops are made with a round file. The fine sanding is done with a fine steel wool and the final finish is done with a ball matting.

DSC01417.thumb.jpg.dc67c2598d02a0394f27cdbbba607a86.jpg

As can be seen in the next picture, I have meanwhile attached the fully served slings and in between the double block for the mizzen topsail sheets using rose lashings.

DSC01424.thumb.jpg.37a04bda1107137a7601c713b371fe76.jpg

DSC01425.thumb.jpg.6a339208ea3f376f805021a1a6bb2fb6.jpg

The next step will be the production of the truss pendants.
Sequel follows …

Edited by archjofo

Hi guys, hi Johann. Can you please help me. I am trying to find how to do certain knots like this one. Where did you find how to tie them?

The Ashley Book of Knots is generally recognized as one of the two encyclopedic works on knots of all kinds. It's been in print forever now and there are many used copies available online as well as new ones. It's a volume I expect anyone who has occasion to work with cordage of any kind to appreciate as an essential reference work. The Ashley Book of Knots: Clifford W. Ashley: 9780385040259: Amazon.com: Books

9780385040259-us.jpg

The Arts of the Sailor by Hervey Garrett Smith is another classic on the subject of rigging and fancy rope work. It's not encyclopedic, but it has much of the basics.

Dover Maritime: The Arts of the Sailor : Knotting, Splicing and Ropework (Paperback)

Another encyclopedic work is the Encyclopedia of Knots and Fancy Rope Work by Hensel and Graumont.  Encyclopedia of Knots and Fancy Rope Work: Hensel, John, Graumont, Raoul: 9780870330216: Amazon.com: Books  Similar to Ashley's above, this volume purports to describe every knot known to man and probably can claim the record for that notwithstanding Ashley's similar claim.  While Ashley's is entertainingly illustrated with many drawings and is done in "coffee table" style, Ashley's organizes its knots by the purposes and trades which commonly employ the particular knots, while "Graumont and Hensel" is organized by type of knot as defined by the knot type's mechanics and so is organized by chapters on knots, bends, hitches, and so on. "Graumont and Hensel" is a much more academic and dry reference work illustrated with black and white photographs. 

61DUu7O3OTL._SL500_.jpg

The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast - 1600-1720 by Anderson is another valuable classic which was written specifically for ship modelers. It specifically addresses the period between 1600 and 1720. The Rigging of Ships: in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast, 1600-1720 (Dover Maritime): Anderson, R. C.: 9780486279602: Amazon.com: Books

9FB4BB737648289EA0F7212A1732670E8F937837.jpg

Some have found Peterson's Rigging Period Ship Models helpful, although it has been criticized with apparent validity for suffering some inaccuracies. Rigging Period Ship Models: A Step-By-Step Guide to the Intricacies of Square-Rig: PETERSSON, Lennarth: 9781848321021: Amazon.com: Books

9781557509703-us.jpg

There are other more period-specific books on rigging and rope work. These are contemporary works and quite technical. Two of these are available in PDF format for free on the MSW forum website in the drop-down menu at the top of the forum homepage.  Both happen to be called The Art of Rigging. One is by David Steel and the other by George Biddlecomb and are usually  referenced simply as "Steel's" and "Biddlecomb." TheArtOfRigging-Steel.pdf (thenrg.org)    The art of rigging (thenrg.org)

Many of these reference books address full-size work and not miniature model-making, but reducing full-size prototypes to scale is what we are about, so it's an easy enough task to tie our knots smaller with smaller rope, or to develop ways of faking it to accommodate our smaller scales. As far as tying small knots, I suggest anybody who's interested in tying rigging knots should spend some time searching YouTube for videos on "surgical instrument knot tying" or "instrument suture tying" and the like. There are many instructional videos, many posted by medical schools, demonstrating how to tie very small knots in very confined spaces using surgical instruments which can easily be purchased for little money on eBay and other sites. These are easily learned basic techniques of great practical value to modelers.

For example:

Edited by Bob Cleek

@Blacky

Hello,

Greg @dvm27 has already answered it so far, for which I'm grateful.
I look up a lot in the Ashley Book of Knots, which Bob @Bob Cleek also pointed out.
In some you have to simplify things in order to be able to implement them at model scale.
I only partially know the other sources mentioned by Bob. Thanks for that too.

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat