La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Spectacular as always Johann. Do you have a method for figuring out the precise length of the double stropped served line required so that the eyes are the correct distance apart on the yard? I found this problematic!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi Johann. Looking outstanding as usually. Have a question for you. You showed in post 2079 your soldering station and was wondering where you got the to  tall clamp looking items in the white board for soldering. I have been looking for a set of these but as of yet have not found them. Keep up the great work and thank you. Gary

@Mic_Nao

@jfhealey

@Tigersteve

@dvm27

@garyshipwright

Hello,
Thank you very much for your attention and the nice comments.

And also thanks to the others for the LIKES.

@dvm27

Yes I have a simple method.
I use a fine brass wire 0.2 mm. Instead of a rope, I make a temporary strop with this wire around the block and yard. Then I straighten the wire and measure the length.
I hope that I have expressed that in an understandable way.

@garyshipwright

I bought it here in Germany in an online shop.
There are many things for model building.
This LINK leads to this shop.

30 minutes ago, archjofo said:

@dvm27

Yes I have a simple method.
I use a fine brass wire 0.2 mm. Instead of a rope, I make a temporary strop with this wire around the block and yard. Then I straighten the wire and measure the length.
I hope that I have expressed that in an understandable way.

Perfectly understandable Johann. Such a simple solution as well!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Continuation: Equipment of the lower yards - Quarter blocks / Slings - Poulies d'ecoute et de cargue-point / suspentes
In the meantime, the quarter blocks of the main yard have been fastened at the appropriate positions by means of rose lashing. I continued with the slings. These strong ropes with ø 43 mm (0,9 mm in 1:48 ) are completely served. There are two of these slings per yard, each with a spliced eye at the end.
In preparation for serving these ropes, they were wormed in advance. As described some time ago, the pre-wormed model ropes simply look more realistic.

DSC07149.thumb.jpg.fa0d6469b288cf4e8be29d169d60ea78.jpg
Here is a picture of the current condition of the rigging elements on the main yard:

DSC01096.thumb.jpg.a3a2d2c5ea03f3b85f974e4556327527.jpg
Next I will make the truss pendants and jackstays and mount them to the yard.
The following picture from the Atlas du Génie maritime shows, among other things, the truss pendants as it was most certainly used on the La Créole, which is also the case on the original model. Accordingly, I have provided the necessary sheaves when making the longitudinal salings. The slings shown in this picture do not correspond to those of the La Créole.

Taurack_Atlas_Annexe1_Pl_23.thumb.jpg.48e9b037b7507db2f13bfdc48c59a535.jpg
Source: Extract from Atlas du Génie maritime, annexe No. 1, Pl. 23

To be continued ...

Edited by archjofo

I have a question related to Greg's question above. You explained how you measured the needed length for the double strops on the block. But how did you create that continuous loop using served line? Did you serve the loop after it was created with the correct length of line? Did you use line that was already served, and somehow made a continuous loop out of it? Thanks.

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

@jdbondy

Hello,

for the double strop I use a rope that has already been served, which is formed into a loop. The place where the loop is glued together comes under the round seizing.

DSC01091.thumb.jpg.03954095dc0b01cb973b4d7f978b0fb8.jpg
If I didn't explain it clearly, just ask again.

Edited by archjofo

How about the secret to those beautiful served truss eye splices? I assume you angle cut the served end to form the eye then seize over it? Mine look a lot clumpier.

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for the illustration Johann but actually I was referring tp these beautiful eye splices )on the two larger trusses segments)

eyesplice.jpg.605df3ef331770b3f77119e614af6977.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Johann, you answered my question. But I will keep an eye on the continuing discussion with Greg since I am interested in that answer too!

JD

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

@dvm27

Hi Greg,
I totally misunderstood that, sorry.
For these eye splices, I outlined the process in connection with the production of the stays in my analogue notebook a long time ago.
I hope this makes the process clear to you.

20230407_191042(002).thumb.jpg.0e1f75c63e061c434e90472f2672725a.jpg

@jdbondy

Hi JD,

at least I was able to fully answer your original question with the sketch.

And here's a little update:

Continuation: Equipment of the lower yards - truss pendants and jackstags - Drosse d´une basse vergue et filière d`envergure

According to the announcement I made the truss pendants for the lower yards, especially for the main yard. The two-part truss pendant for the main yard consisted of two ropes, each with a diameter of 37 mm. Thimbles were spliced into the ends of the served ropes.
As can be seen in the following picture, these ropes were placed around the main yard and secured with a lashing.

DSC01109.thumb.jpg.211ca3e4bd8f073becf942de1879e714.jpg

The respective counterparts are then pulled through the thimbles later when assembling the yards on the model and further guided through the sheaves in the trestle trees in the direction of the mast cap and lashed there with a tackle.
In order to pull in the jackstays, the eyebolts that had been made some time ago had to be attached in advance. To ensure correct alignment of the holes for these bolts on the yard, I stretched a thread.

DSC01093.thumb.jpg.3450912ce7a563c4ad5922b6a9a0ecf5.jpg

As with the Paris model, I also used served ropes for the jackstays. These were placed on the yard arm with the eye on grommet strop as abrasion protection.

DSC01098.thumb.jpg.2eb8ca4d81db51834ea0b8b6645411ea.jpgWith the thimbles integrated into the inner ends of the jackstay, the two halves can be connected in the middle of the yard with a lanyard and stiffenedDSC01106.thumb.jpg.4b3cc5e565577031977a72ee1ec2322b.jpg
Presently I am preparing making the footropes. Here, too, a few points of detail need to be clarified.
To be continued soon...

@jdbondy

@druxey

Hello,

thank you for the encouragement, also I would like to thank the others for the many LIKES. 

Continuation: Equipment of the lower yards - Quarter blocks - Poulies d'ecoute
Before I continue with the footropes according to my announcement, there was one small thing to add that I almost forgot. It is a strop with lashing that holds the quarter blocks in place. Due to the deflection of the sheets, these blocks would otherwise move towards the yardarm.

DSC01116.thumb.jpg.f2e8421beb384afc46d35e3677a8c7d6.jpg

See you soon ...

Amongst the many things I've learned from your excellent log is to rig as much of the yard as possible before installing on the model. This takes some serious study and planning! additionally, worming the rope before serving really makes a difference visually and I suspect make the rope easier to work with afterwards. 

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Constraining the quarter blocks using a lashing contrasts with British practice: they used cleats to prevent the blocks from moving out. Beautifully done.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Jeez, now I have to worm my lines prior to serving them?? Are you going to make me parcel them too??

JD

6 minutes ago, jdbondy said:

Jeez, now I have to worm my lines prior to serving them?? Are you going to make me parcel them too??

J.D., just be glad Johann doesn't grow hemp for making his rope...

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

@dvm27

@Testudo

@uss frolick

@bdgiantman2

@druxey

@jdbondy

@hollowneck

Hello,

I am very pleased with the lively interest in my report. I also thank you for the positive feedback and the nice comments.

Of course I am also grateful for the many LIKES.

Continuation: Equipment of the lower yards - Footropes and stirrups - Marchepieds et étriers
As often practiced, I also try to clarify the implementation of details for the foot and jumper horses by making a sample specimen.
According to the specifications and the description from the monograph, the two-piece foot horses of La Créole consisted of tarred cordage, taken with spliced eyes over the yardarms. Thimbles were spliced into the inner ends and lashed to the center of the yard by means of lanyards.
In the main yard, the rope for the footrope had a diameter of 32 mm according to the monograph. The ropes for the stirrups are given with a diameter of 30 mm.

Screenshot2023-04-12215543.jpg.a5b46627c9e07c51ba6ee9a44f8ea4c4.jpg
Source: Monograph on the La Créole by J. Boudriot

For the execution of the foot horses on the model I orientate myself on a drawing from the atlas.

I received corresponding information from G. Delacroix, for which I am very grateful.

GMGPL001-1.thumb.jpg.d8aff561788c1b5c75a7a2799869aebe.jpg
Source: Detail from Atlas du Génie maritime, annexe No. 1, Pl. 1

The first test piece shows that the used thimble with ø 2.1 mm appears much too dominant in the model scale. The smaller thimble with ø 1.5 mm, however, is too small for the rope thickness ø 0.67 mm. To be able to make a size in between, I am currently missing the appropriate brass tube, which I have already ordered in the meantime.

DSC01121.thumb.jpg.2f24000dc6263394275c11b1b1c50216.jpg

So I will now bring forward the production of the other blocks for the main yard.

To be continued ...

Edited by archjofo

Something else in between...😀

Ron Neilson of the Philadelphia Ship Model Society asked me if they could use a detail photo of my La Créole as the cover photo for their next club newsletter "Quarterdeck" in April.
Of course I was happy about the interest in my model and agreed.
This is what the cover looks like:

Frontpage_PSMS_Quarterdeck_April_2023.thumb.jpg.cb0f7e6bb6ea59d33f9774c3e95aa1e9.jpg
If interested: www.philadelphiashipmodelsociety.com

Edited by archjofo

That is an incredible cover page photo

Finished builds are 

1/35 Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

1/36 scratch built Philadelphia Gunboat from the Smithsonian Plans

Current build is

Scratch build Boudroit's Monograph for La Jacinthe at 1/36