Heroine 1838 by ggrieco - FINISHED - Scale 1:24 - Western River Steamboat as she appeared before hitting a snag in the Red River

Thanks everybody,

Greg, I've never tried this before and hope it works. It helps that I don't have any crown to the deck to deal with and Heroine had no hogging trusses that would have made alignment very difficult. The shear is minimal and the two decks run parallel with a nine foot separation. I have selected a couple of post locations that I consider crucial and have worked in a slight fore and aft allowance for the rest to adjust them as needed. It all seems to work well in AutoCAD, I just hope there are no surprises.

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

Wow, I'm jealous. Bertrand had hog trusses, sheer, AND camber to her main & boiler decks. I eliminated the camber on the boiler deck for sanity's sake, but still felt I had to build it in place. I cannot wait to see how your deck drops in. Having the CAD skills is a really nice piece of your toolkit. Good luck, if that's the right phrase!

I really look forward to your updates and missed last week's contribution but, this has more than made up for it.  Ditto Greg's remarks.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Patrick and Pat,

Cathead, yes the trusses and camber would have made things a lot more difficult. I wonder how much problem Heroine would have had with water on deck with the flat beams. Although, we have evidence that her beam ends were sagging outboard -- would have shed a little water. I'm also amazed at how her upper structure was supported only by rows of 5 or 6 inch square posts. I can't wait to put them in place. It is going to look like it is supported with toothpicks. Thanks for the good luck wishes!

Glenn

My Gallery

What, no hog chains?  What kept the ends from sagging?  This must have been one of the boats that made them realize that the bracing was necessary.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

This week I was finally able to finish the last major piece of the machinery.  With the paddle wheel clutch mechanism in place I can drop the boiler deck in place.  I will miss all the metalwork but, I'm really looking forward to the woodwork.

Heroine's port throw out lever.  roughly forged from  3/8 inch strap.  The handle is roughly octagonal at the strap and tapers to round.

post-21385-0-11097900-1465649520_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-39480800-1465649529_thumb.jpg

The pins that engage the bearing are about one inch in diameter with a two inch head.  Inserted through holes in the strap, the protruding ends were then hammered flat.  The pins show a lot of wear from rubbing against the bearing.

post-21385-0-70572900-1465649538_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-00465500-1465649551_thumb.jpg

Straps fresh from the mill.

post-21385-0-19271900-1465649560_thumb.jpg

Soldering the handles and pins to the straps.

post-21385-0-81567500-1465649569_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-25114300-1465649579_thumb.jpg

Finished throw out parts.

post-21385-0-74514800-1465649590_thumb.jpg

Clutch mechanism installed.  I decided to show the starboard side with the bearing engaged and the port side disengaged.

post-21385-0-56182100-1465649598_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-09083900-1465649608_thumb.jpg

On to the boiler deck.

I have temporarily installed the boiler deck on poplar posts in about half of the post holes.  Next week I'll replace them one by one with boxwood posts, aligning and plumbing them as necessary. 

post-21385-0-49892500-1465649619_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-58253900-1465649639_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-64096000-1465649651_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-10273300-1465649665_thumb.jpg

Glenn

My Gallery

Beautiful work Glenn,

it looks wonderful

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Glenn:

Your calculations were right (of course) on the fitting of the boiler deck.  Building off the model sure saved a lot of time - and surely made the work go easier.  Very impressive.  thanks for sharing.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

She was a lovely hull and machinery, Now with the boiler deck she's beginning to look like a boat.  Beautiful job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Glenn

Great work as usual! Did they need the forks for steering in close turns?

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Beautiful work, Glenn.   Sorry that the metalwork is over for now.   Everything is very crisp and clean and well fitted.  Ah..well worth the wait for the weekly update.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, you didn't disappoint with this week's instalment Glenn; once again up to your very high standards.  Nice to have some of the original pieces available to model from which adds a lot to the authenticity - but, you still need the skills to execute it.

regards

Pat 

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Frank, Patrick, Nils, Neal, Kurt, Bob, Druxey, Gerhard, Mark, Grant, Greg, Pat and John for your comments and everyone else for your likes. Your comments and feedback are the most rewarding part of this project.

I've been away in Houston all day and haven't had a chance yet to catch up on everyone else's builds but, I look forward to catching up today and tomorrow.

Gerhard, good question about steering in close turns. Few contemporary accounts of the operation of early western river machinery exist and I have never seen a good description of the possible different uses of the clutch mechanism. It does seem that engaging only one paddle wheel would work very effectively for turning the vessel. I would love to know if it was possible to engage a paddle wheel while the main shaft is already in motion or if the forces involved would damage the mechanism. It seems that the wheels could be disengaged while in motion but could only be engaged when the main shaft was stationary. I would really be interested if anyone has any information on the subject.

Edited by ggrieco

Glenn

My Gallery

Glenn,

Louis C. Hunter's Steamboats on the Western Rivers discusses to the superior maneuverability of side-wheelers over sternwheelers, in part, by referring to "The ability to stop one of the wheels independently of the other and, on two-engine boats, to run the two paddle wheels in opposite directions..." which implies what you suggest, that wheels can be stopped while in motion but not re-engaged. Also, obviously, Heroine couldn't have run her wheels in opposing fashion unlike later boats, so some of the turning ability is negated. Certainly, this makes mechanical sense to me, I don't see any way you could safely or practically slip that clutch into place while the shaft is turning, especially with water pressure holding the wheel in place. And the implicit reference to single-engine boats strongly implies that this all applies to Heroine, since two-engine boats became the standard not long after her time.

Thanks Cathead,

Wonderful reference! These really were interesting vessels. I'm so happy that you have started a discussion about them.

Glenn

My Gallery

Sounds like a great practical engineering problem. To bad we don't have all the numbers. Was the wheel stopped, slowing down, building up. At what point would it break. But if this could not be done until both were at the same sspeed and direction why have it. I ordered the book and will read up. 

What a great thread.

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

I think that the answer to the question is in the name of the mechanism: throw-out lever. It was not a throw-in one! As mentioned, something would probably break if one tried to engage a stationary paddlewheel with the engine shaft turning.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I am a tad on the late side, but she is coming together beautifully. As Mark wrote: "A pity the metal work is over", although, I think a little bit will be left, maybe not so imposing as the engine and the propulsion ... I am looking forward to see your wood skills displayed on the remaining details of the Heroine ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...