Heroine 1838 by ggrieco - FINISHED - Scale 1:24 - Western River Steamboat as she appeared before hitting a snag in the Red River

Glen:
Great work - as usual.  These will be world class models when finished.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

With nothing in the picture to show scale, she looks full size.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

<looks at pictures><jaw drops to floor> 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wonderful work, Glen. Did you need Novocaine to facilitate the amputation of those beautiful, healthy flywheels? 

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks everybody!

Greg, I think I could have used a shot of whisky first but i breathed a real sigh of relief when it was over and the two mated correctly. I was so afraid of laying them out improperly. I hated to cut them but it made future construction a little easier.

Glenn

Glenn

My Gallery

9 inch Dahlgren on Marsilly Carriage<p><p>

Heroine Shipwreck Diorama

Glenn I am not sure that I would have been able to cut up the flywheel....I would have faked the waterline in that area.

Stunning work all the same.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

With the deck finally complete on the second model,  i was able to convert my mill from a thickness planer back to a mill.  I have been putting off turning the paddlewheel shafts because they have hexagonal bosses that require a dividing head on the mill.  This week I was able to make some progress on the paddlewheels. 

Turning the paddlewheel shafts.

post-21385-0-05407100-1457186246_thumb.jpg

Milling the hexagonal bosses.

post-21385-0-43949300-1457186257_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-89399200-1457186267_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-49370500-1457186280_thumb.jpg

Test fitting the paddlewheel flanges.  On Heroine, all of the flanges were damaged to some extent.  A few had several of the arms broken off and were reinforced by flat iron strap.  Next week I will reproduce this damage and repairs.

post-21385-0-44350100-1457186293_thumb.jpg

Bearing timbers in place with iron tie rods.

post-21385-0-25422100-1457186304_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-50873600-1457186315_thumb.jpg

post-21385-0-89687400-1457186329_thumb.jpg

Paddlewheel spokes fresh from the mill.

post-21385-0-13158300-1457186341_thumb.jpg

The mill cuts the mating pieces so accurately, there is almost no fitting required.  Just a little clean-up and they slid tightly into the channels in the flanges.

post-21385-0-54438200-1457186352_thumb.jpg

Test fit of the starboard paddlewheels.

post-21385-0-66682600-1457186363_thumb.jpg

Glenn

My Gallery

I am thinking oh my gosh he's going to have to cut the bottoms of the paddle wheels off on the waterline model! :o

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Wow Glenn, very impressive. I'd love to be able to handle the machine tools for building something like this. Is it possible to stop by some time and view this magnificent build? I live about 30 minutes from College Station, and sometimes the Admiral and I venture up there to see an old friend (former Aggie 102 years old). He was a Petroleum Engr., and I think even has a building named for him - name is Mike Dillingham. We also like Abuelo's which is main reason we go there. It gives us a chance to take the little red car for an afternoon venture. I'll be following this log...great!

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Wow. So pretty.

Glenn, I'm curious. I assume you're going to have to cut the wheels down, too, as steamschooner said. What is the reason for building the fly and paddle wheels whole and then chopping them, versus using your CAD and mill to just make them precisely cut off in the first place?

Brilliant work, Glenn, as usual. Those brass paddlewheel shafts - is your lathe CNC controlled or are they turned freehand?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Excellent work Glenn.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks everybody,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your comments, likes and advice. I do feel like cutting the flywheels may not have been the best way to go and I'm reconsidering how to display the flywheels. Now that the lower half of the hull is missing, I have to come up with an idea that won't look awkward. One idea I've considered is to have the model up on a plinth that is textured and painted to look like water on top. The paddle wheels would be cut at water level only on the port side. On the starboard side, the plinth would be cut away to show a complete paddle wheel. Since there will be cutaways of the superstructure on the starboard side to show the machinery, this would be keeping with that theme. Any ideas for not having to cut the paddle wheels would be greatly appreciated!

Cathead, yes, it would have saved me some time to cut the rims with the mill but, I was afraid if I didn't have the complete circle it would be hard to guarentee the shape. When reassembling the original wheel, it was amazing how flexible the cast iron actually was. We had to continually measure and retighten the bolts to get a true shape. I was afraid it would be just too flexible with the small brass pieces.

Greg, all my lathe turning is freehand. There are times when I wish I had a cnc lathe - like making the carronades for Jefferson - but lathe turning is something I love to do and prefer (most of the time) to do it by hand.

Glenn

Glenn

My Gallery

Glenn,

I do hope you work out a way to avoid cutting any part of the wheels for the final display. To cut these masterpieces in any way would be a tragedy.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hi Glenn

I'm not actually sure why, but, for some reason I've lost track of your log. I've gone through it now in total disbelief. To say that I'm totally gob smacked at what you've done, is an understatement. I can't even bend a brass wire without stuffing it up, which makes my admiration of your superb workmanship only more apparent.

Unbelievable!

Cheers and all the best.

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234