HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Such delicate and tiny work and it looks great. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Augie, Mark, Bob, Sherry and Mike, and once again to all the "likes".

Even though it has been a long weekend here this weekend, I'm afraid I didn't get too much time in the shipyard.  I did however, get to collect my new case for Victory.  Even though I haven't quite finished her, I wanted to get her under a cover to protect her from damage and keep the dust off while I finish off the last few bits and pieces.

I know I could probably have made a case for a fraction of the price I paid for this (which was a lot!), but I wanted a "frameless" look for this model, so had it professionally made by a local plastics firm (Plastic Creations in Fyshwick for the local Canberrans - highly recommended).  I also decided that rather than use a wood base, I would continue the theme and had a black perspex base made at the same time, with a channel routed in it to accept the "box".  The idea of the black base (which is also partially reflective) was to tie in the black and yellow colours of the ship.  I like the effect.

I took a few pictures of it this afternoon, but it was getting a bit dark.  I've shown a couple of pictures here, but they don't really do it justice.

Here's one with only what's left of the daylight:

post-242-0-79554000-1402301675_thumb.jpg

And here is one with the overhead downlights on. 

post-242-0-60961500-1402301685_thumb.jpg

The table that it sits on I originally made to display my Cutty Sark model.  I think the timber is Yellow Stringy Bark if memory serves me correctly.

While I had the camera out, I thought I may as well take a picture of the Cutty Sark that has sat proudly in this position (just inside the front door) for many years until usurped by Victory.  This was a Billings kit and was my first serious foray into wooden ship building. As such, it is fairly basic - if only I knew then what I know now!  The case that this one is in I made myself. It has survived four house moves, including from one side of the country to the other and back again.  The only damage it received was to the rigging on one move, which I then replaced and did a better job on.  Even so, when I look at that rigging compared to Victory, it seems ever so basic.  It is now in the lounge room as a "temporary" measure until we figure out what to do with it. A "Viking Funeral" is still on the cards.......... ;)

post-242-0-71608500-1402301652_thumb.jpg

You can see in the reflection of this photo my wife's collection of stuffed animals - they at least are an appreciative audience!

Ship's Boats continued:

With the limited time I did manage in the shipyard this weekend, I did manage to paint the internal hull of the Pinnace, fit the Risers for the thwarts, and fit the previously made footling.

post-242-0-67735300-1402301667_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-33457400-1402301660_thumb.jpg

I'm now making up some gratings to fit, using 1/32" pear stock that Jeff Hayes at Hobbymill made up for me some time ago.  It's the same stuff that I used on the Launch.  Hopefully I'll get that installed next weekend and then be ready to paint the exterior of the hull before moving on to the fittings.

Wonderfully done and shown, 

thank you!

Daniel

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Agree with Wayne, two great ships framed perfectly. Well done.

You are a brave lad to take on the Admiral's stuffed animals!

Careful the Admiral doesn't requisition the covers because they would set off the stuffed animals perfectly as well!!

Cheers

Alan

What a wonderful case Grant, the modern design goes well with the ship, the case does not distract from the model like the one of the Cutty Sark.

It's probably a 3 man job to get is on and off. And a high ceiling to maneuver ;)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

The new case was worth every penny (or whatever you folks use for legal tender) you invested.  The black base is a great idea.

Now ---- as for Viking funerals.......I'll have none of it!  Your Cutty Sark is a proud ship that has stood the test of time.  Some respect, PLEASE!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I have to agree with all the others.

Beautiful display case and lovely little ships.....

Are those ships are also getting there own case ?????? :P  :P

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Okay, as promised, here's the final instalment on the Block Tumbler.

Mod 2: I had an epiphany while thinking about the drive shaft problem and decided that the only way it was going to work was for the drive shaft to be a single piece running through the top end cap.  The limitation was that the “business” end needed to be no larger in diameter than 10mm in order to fit through the headstock spindle of the lathe.  So new drive shafts were manufactured with the “business” end turned down to a 10 mm diameter.

attachicon.gifBlock Tumbler 13.jpg

attachicon.gifBlock Tumbler 14.jpg

Here is the new setup running on the lathe.  The cutting tool is lightly held agains the canister body to prevent it from turning.  In this picture the lathe is actually running, with the drive shaft turning within the canister.

attachicon.gifBlock Tumbler 15.jpg

Functional Test No. 2

The functional test on the new design worked perfectly.  To further the testing, a selection of kit blocks was put through a short spin in each of the grades of sandpaper.  To begin with, this is how the blocks look “as provided” in the kit:

attachicon.gifKit Blocks 1 untreated.jpg

It’s pretty obvious from this picture why a block tumbler is needed.  Up until now, I have been individually hand sanding all blocks prior to use - a very tedious process!

Here’s a comparison of an untreated block (on the left) with one that has had a very short tumble.

attachicon.gifKit Blocks Test 1.jpg

I then proceeded to a larger test with a range of block sizes.  Time spent in the tumbler was very short for these tests - no more than 2 minutes in each grade of sandpaper.

After Tumbling in 120 grit:

attachicon.gifKit Blocks Test 120.jpg

The same blocks after then Tumbling in 400 grit:

attachicon.gifKit Blocks Test 400.jpg

And after then Tumbling in 600 grit:

attachicon.gifKit Blocks Test 600.jpg

So just for comparison let’s look at a “before” and “after” shot side by side:

attachicon.gifKit Blocks 1 untreated.jpg attachicon.gifKit Blocks Test 600.jpg

I think this proves the concept.  Even better results should be achievable with a longer duration in the Tumbler.  Finishing with 600 grit does seem to produce quite a nice end result that is ready to use.

Reflections / Observations

The Tumbler works well and is relatively simple to construct.  If I were doing it again, I would reduce the size of the canister considerably.  This canister I made is 100mm long with a diameter of about 85mm.  I think a canister length of 50 mm, with a diameter of 50 mm would probably be quite larger enough for the purpose.

The drive shaft is key.  It must be a single piece that runs through the top end-cap.  Boring a 6.5mm hole in the tail end allows it to be located on a 6mm dowell spigot through the tail end cap.  This both supports the end of the drive shaft and allows it to spin freely.  The outer end of the tail end cap spigot is held in the lathe tail-stock chuck.

The whole assembly could be modified for hand held use.  To do that, cut the tail stock spigot off flush with the outer end of the tail end cap.  Then make and attach a “winding handle” to the drive shaft.

Happy Tumbling.  May all your blocks be smooth!

Hello Grant,

thanks for sharing your method to make ordenary blocks look great, I always thought the "tumbling" was bound to metal work

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I can only agree with all previous comments mate, it's just a great shame that the cases very often cost almost as much as the ship, I know that when the time comes for my Aggie the total price is going to be pushing £1,000, the only good thing about it is there is time between the two, gotta be done though.

Pinnace is looking the part, well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

In this final series of shots, I wanted to show some views of the Launch on the skid beams. I fitted a couple of eye-bolts to the keelson of the boat and attached the lifting gear, to show the boat in the process of being readied for launching.  I haven't yet tied off the tackle falls, in case I change my mind about this, or some of you have better ideas for this aspect.

attachicon.gifBoat 1.jpg

attachicon.gifBoat 2.jpg

attachicon.gifBoat 3.jpg

attachicon.gifBoat 4.jpg

This last shot shows quite clearly the Fore course sheet and the Main course tack passing through their respective hull sheave blocks.

attachicon.gifBoat 5.jpg

And that's your lot for now.  Hopefully it won't be too long before I start posting progress on the remaining boats.

A beautiful model Grant,

a masterly build of a great ship, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Grant,

I like the case, its exactly the same as I did with my ECHO, although yours is a hell of a lot bigger :P :P and more expensive :o :o , I liked the

black base as well as a contrast against the boxwood.

Not far to the finish line now!

ben

Thank you all so very much for all the comments on the display case. What I failed to mention, and what may not be immediately apparent form the photos, is that the front, top and back are all one continuous piece that has been bent to shape using a very tight radius bend. The end pieces are then cut to fit this shape.

The effect is two fold - it removes two long joints from the equation, AND it makes it even more expensive! And Mobbsie is right - this case actually cost more than the original kit (although that was 20 years ago). Perhaps in time-adjusted prices it wasn't. ;) Either way, I'm very happy with the result and don't regret spending the extra to achieve this effect.

Grant,

A case that will do her and you justice.  From the pictures it looks great and I can only imagine what it looks like in person.   As for the Viking funeral.....  errr....  nah.  I'm with Augie and we'll have none of that.  Yes, you're being double-teamed.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Grant,

Yeah, I know the price of Cases. The one I had made for "Bounty" was Tasmanian Oak and toughened 5mm glass - it cost THREE TIMES the price of the kit :D .

The one for "Supply" was a lot cheaper - $0 in fact, well ..... a carton of beer :D . It's virtually identical to the one you just had made (even down to the rounded corners) but was made for me by a mate who worked in a Plastic Sign factory ;) .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Mark and Danny.

Danny - maybe I should have got a quote from your mate! A few cases of beer and maybe a bottle of scotch thrown in............ ;)

Ship's Boats continued:

Not a lot of time in the shipyard this weekend, but a little progress to report.  I've been working on the gratings for the Pinnace.  These are made from 1/32" x1/32" Boxwood stock that Jeff Hayes (Hobbymill) very kindly milled for me with notches, so that task was made a lot easier (thanks Jeff :) ).  The gratings are quite a tricky shape, especially the stern grating.  They are framed in in Pear wood of the same dimensions.  I also made up a small bow deck, that will go in front of the foremost thwart.  This was made from the same stock as the footwaling. 

I've also been furthering my quest for improved photography....

Here's a few pics of the parts:

post-242-0-92700900-1402819547_thumb.jpg

And here's the "fingernail shot" to show the size of the bow grating:

post-242-0-88949400-1402819554_thumb.jpg

This shows the two gratings loosely in place, with the monster hand for overall scale:

post-242-0-41731800-1402819564_thumb.jpg

And here's an overall shot with all parts in place:

post-242-0-34649400-1402819573_thumb.jpg

I've also prepared the stock for the thwarts.  These will be made from Pear wood trimmed with Boxwood (the opposite colour combo to the gratings), much the same as I did with the Launch.  However, I decided that I'd better paint the exterior of the hull before moving on to fitting out the interior any further.  At this stage, I've just applied a coat of white Gesso as an undercoat.  I've gotta say, I've become a big fan of this stuff - it makes subsequent coats of paint go on a whole lot easier.  More pics once painting is complete - hopefully by next weekend. :)

Edited by gjdale

You must be looking forward to working on something in miniature Grant.

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Wow, that looks great!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Fantastic work on the boat, Grant.  It's a pity you have to paint it as that will hide the great wood.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: