HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

WOW, that display case for the Vic is nice, I like the seamless look very much. The base is nice as well, I like the Black look of the base. I'm going to have to build one for the Latina Victory I'm building as well, but at close to 50 inches in length, it will be a task indeed. I don't think I will be able to get away with the seamless look with a case that huge.

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments and also for all the "likes".

mtdoramike - your model is a similar scale to this one, maybe an inch or two longer, so you should have no problem with a similar case if you choose to go down this route. Mine is 1200mm long (about 48inches) and is made from 4.5mm thick Perspex. I would have liked to have used 6mm for added rigidity, but that would have added 50% more to the already expensive cost.

Short progress report on the ship's boats.

I have been slowly but surely painting the external hull of the Pinnace - just applied the ninth coat. I'm thinking maybe one more coat and then a final protective coat of Dull Cote. Following others advice, I've been using very thin coats of paint. I'm using a Humbrol enamel thinned 50% with Thinner. While tedious, it does seem to improve the appearance.

While watching the paint dry, I've been progressing the framing for the two 25ft Cutters. I finished cutting the keels for both today, and have cleaned up all the frames. This took quite some effort. Releasing the spot-glued frames from their inner supports required the judicious use of the isopropyl alcohol - judicious because the frames are laminated and too heavy a hand with the IPA and I might just have twice as many frames! Once separated and dry, the remaining glue residue had to be cleaned off using a needle file and a very light touch - these things are REALLY fragile. Only broke two. ;)

Once cleaned up, I started fitting the frames into the build boards. One set is complete and the other ready to fit. The Admiral kicked me out of the shipyard before I could finish the second set. Something about needing to go to sleep as tomorrow is a work day! ;)

Consequently, I didn't get time to take some pictures. Sorry Sjors :( I'll try to get some taken tomorrow and post them up then.

You won't go wrong with many coats of diluted paint.  Glad you're pleased with the results. 

Look forward to seeing the cutters!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Okay, so here's the photos that I didn't get to take last night. :)  I'm still experimenting with the photography, but the pics seem to be getting better. 

First up, I made a "handle" from copper wire and looped it through the gunwales to provide a handhold while painting.  It also served as a holding post for the vice while the paint dried:

post-242-0-03728300-1403522186_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-48015900-1403522193_thumb.jpg

Here is the current state of play with painting.  Probably just one or two clear coats of Dull Cote for protection now:

post-242-0-23738400-1403522201_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-16848400-1403522207_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, progress with the Cutters (well, one of them anyway):

Here's the keel:

post-242-0-48252300-1403522178_thumb.jpg

And with frames placed in the building board and frame "plugs" inserted (as per the Launch):

post-242-0-80351200-1403522146_thumb.jpg

And without the Plug:

post-242-0-66325500-1403522157_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-99222400-1403522167_thumb.jpg

Finally, here's a couple of shots of both the Pinnace and Cutter Plugs for comparison.  They are really quite different hull forms:

post-242-0-58214100-1403522128_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-10272500-1403522137_thumb.jpg

The Admiral is giving me "the look" again, so that's it for now!!!

Amazing work, Grant!

You work is inspiring......you have amazing patience and concentration to be able to achieve such fine work in such small scale.

Unless, perhaps, you are much larger than we mortals.......... :D :D :D

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

You're really beginning to intimidate me Grant. Your scale is even smaller than my Essex and I can't imagine even coming close to what you're doing with the boats. The pinnace is coming out great.

Bob

Beautiful work Grant, you have inspired me to make a pinnace too, for my Victory. I will study your log carefully ...

Get any smaller mate and were all going to need magnifiers to see them. :P  :P

It's not the withering looks that get me, it's that sharp pointy thing between the shoulder blades, don't ya just love em. :D  :D

Looking real good mate. :)

Be Good

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Super nice work, Grant.   They really do look a lot bigger than they are with all the crisp work you're doing.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Grant,

Where did you get that oversize novelty fake hand ;)  ? Fairly good work on the pinnace ;) (note the "winky" smiley).

Maybe your missus should get herself a hobby that takes as much time as ours? Then again, dinner wouldn't be cooked before 10:00pm :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

More terrific little boats! I know these little cutters will be as amazing as your other boats! If you set the miniature boat building bar any higher, I'm going to need an extension ladder just to see it!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Thank you one and all for all the very generous comments and praise - it really does help me to keep going when I start to question my sanity!  Thanks also to all the "likes". 

Rafterrat - not sure I understand your question re blocks.  What do you mean by "running the blocks to the yards"?  If you could you try asking the question in a slightly different way, I may be able to answer it for you.  I don't believe there are any tricks - just a  lot of patience and perseverance.  I used Longridge as my main guide through the process.

Sherry - you better start getting that extension ladder out............. ;)

Ship's Boats continued:

After a week or so of painting, I am finally able to continue with the Pinnace.  Today I installed the Thwarts, which are made of 1/32" x 3/32" Pear, trimmed with 1/32" x 1/32" Boxwood (same as the Launch).  There is also a 1/32" x 1/32" Boxwood stanchion supporting the centre of each Thwart except the forward most and aft most ones.  There were no particular difficulties in installing these.

Still experimenting with photography, so here's today's efforts to keep you-know-who happy:

A couple of overviews of the Thwarts in place:

post-242-0-22101900-1403951511_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-93248200-1403951520_thumb.jpg

This shows the supporting stanchions.  I could swear they were perfectly aligned when I viewed them with the naked eye!  :angry:

post-242-0-27188800-1403951530_thumb.jpg

Here's a side shot that shows a little of the exterior painting.  I'm quite pleased with the end result - it is silky smooth to the touch and yet it is still possible to make out the planking.

post-242-0-78635100-1403951539_thumb.jpg

Finally, I have progressed the framing on the two 25ft Cutters.  They are both now at the same stage:

post-242-0-10306900-1403951556_thumb.jpg

Next up, Stern sheets for the Pinnace and then Caprails.  At some point soon, I'll have to start planking the Cutters, and yes folks, we're going to have a crack at clinker planking!  :o  :o  :o

Edited by gjdale

Not easy getting those planks to just show through the paint the right amount.  Thwarts are really great!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Fantastic pinnace, sir.  Just fantastic.

As for sanity... here's  the test I use:  I ask the Unicorn and some Gummy Bears.  To date, they have all agreed that I'm sane.  :o  :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks again everyone for all the encouraging comments and the "likes".

Mark - not having a unicorn to hand, I just asked the dog.  He's not sure, but as long as I keep feeding him he's prepared to say I'm sane! :P

Remco - I've been following (mainly) my Warrior practicum for constructing these boats.  Thanks for the reminder about the Antscherl cutter practicum - I'm pretty sure I downloaded that some time ago, so I'll have another read through that as well before I start the clinker planking.

Ship's Boats continued:

Today I concentrated on constructing and installing the Sternsheets, along with the lifting rings fwd and aft, and the Caprails.  For the Sternsheets, I opted to include a seat-back as well. To keep the colour theme going, I trimmed the sternsheets with 1/32" square Boxwood, but for the seat-back, I used two laminates of 1/64" Holly to achieve the curvature required.

Here's couple of overall shots of the sternsheets in place.  Continuing the photography experimentation, I've gone back to a black background for this series of shots.  I think that for this little boat it works better than the blue, particularly with the white hull.

post-242-0-40790600-1404024027_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-57216700-1404024038_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-87779500-1404024048_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple of close-ups of the Lifting rings installed:

post-242-0-79011100-1404024066_thumb.jpg

Note in this pic, the cutouts at the fwd end of the sternsheets.  This is to allow some extra leg room for those on the aft most thwart.

post-242-0-70089000-1404024085_thumb.jpg

And here's a couple of shots of the Caprail in place.  This really makes the whole thing really pop.

post-242-0-72021100-1404024096_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-37699000-1404024108_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-42041200-1404024119_thumb.jpg

And finally, just for another scale check, here's a pic of that giant fake hand again ;)

post-242-0-88967200-1404024130_thumb.jpg

All that's left now is the washboards/oarlocks.  I've started preparing the stock for these, and all I can say is thank goodness for my Byrnes saw, and all the practice I had in preparing stock for very small blocks!!!!

That's all for now folks. :)

Every time you include a shot with your hand I shake my head! I could swear that I'm looking at a much larger boat and then that last picture brings it all into perspective! Spectacular little boat!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Beautiful!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Every time you include a shot with your hand I shake my head! I could swear that I'm looking at a much larger boat and then that last picture brings it all into perspective! Spectacular little boat!

Sherry says it perfectly!

(and I think your photography is getting close to perfect too)

Damn that's beautiful....  <envy><envy>

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I'm just catching up and must say... I'm not really surprised at all at how well the pinnace is turning out.

Your first boat set the bar so high I just knew the Pinnace and Cutters would be nothing less and most likely even better as you've gained experience.

I was right, they are perfection its self. Excellent work from a true artisan.

I'm not a fan of paint, but the pinnace's paint job is NICE. Its smooth as glass but still shows the planking, which at this scale let's those that know just how much time it took. If your dog won't be a character witness towards your sanity, I'll vouch for it. The proof is in the outcome and the pinnace is the proof of sanity.

The Vicky's case is a very nice switch from the wood framed aquarium look that so many cases have. A fitting cover for a massive endeavor.

can't wait to see the cutters clink planking, and I'm going to say it before you even start.

Wow, the clinker planking looks amazing (as I know it will)

Thanks for mentoring us all though your build log Grant. I think of all I've learned from you, patience is the most important task I've picked up.

Keep pushing the envelope and watching it bend Grant. All great masters do.

Thanks very much for the kind comments Sherry, JesseLee, Ben, Bindy, Mark, John, Keith and Mike.  And thanks again to all of the "likes".

Ship's Boats continued....

This weekend I tackled the task of making Oarlocks and Splashboards for the Pinnace.  The oarlocks were quite tricky.  I started with a strip of 3/64" sq Boxwood stock, into which I cut a 1/64" rebate, about 1/64" deep using the Brynes saw :o :

post-242-0-26111000-1404635844_thumb.jpg

Then I made up a simple jig to use on the Byrnes saw that would enable me to cut a tenon-like leg for each of the oarlocks before separating it by hand from the main stock.  Here's what they look like before cleaning up:

post-242-0-84179900-1404635853_thumb.jpg

These were then installed into the Caprail and 1/64" x 1/16" Boxwood strips added for the washboards.  I decided to make the bow washboards one continuous strip that was bent around the bow after soaking, and once dry the underside was sanded and shaped to fit the shape of the sheer line.  On the real thing, all of the washboards apart from the bow and aft-most ones were removable.  I decided to glue mine all in so that they didn't accidentally remove themselves later on.   ;)  Here they are in place:

post-242-0-60509800-1404635865_thumb.jpg

I should perhaps have painted all of these parts before installing them, but I was worried that the paint would clog up the channels in the oarlocks and make the washboards too hard to fit.  So, I had to paint them in situ.  I also decided that I wasn't completely happy with the seat back I had made for the Sternsheets (the proportions looked wrong to me), so I decided to make another one.

Here are a few pictures of the completed Pinnace (I don't intend to make oars or rudder).  To continue my experimentation with photography, this time I've use a mid-blue background so that the black-painted parts don't get lost.

post-242-0-84338700-1404635885_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-89282500-1404635894_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-08820500-1404635904_thumb.jpg

Next up, back to the Cutters........

Edited by gjdale