HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

A question of size:

I was chatting on Skype with Mobbsie this evening and when I held up one of my boat frames, he commented that he hadn't fully appreciated the tiny size of these from the previous posts.  So, at his suggestion, here is a picture of the smallest of the Pinnace frames, poised on the fingernail of my left forefinger. (No comments on the enormous hand size please ;) ).

post-242-0-81650400-1399374692_thumb.jpg

Grant

Just came across your log.  A fantastic journey to follow and congratulations on your rendition of Victory. A magnificent achievement. Well done. 

Your model is a sure fire winner at this year's ACT Model Shipwrights Exhibition.

Your investments in new machinery for the workshop suggests that something big is brewing for your next project -  beyond the cutters. Your mention of Romero a clue?

Alan

Welcome aboard Alan - always happy to see another face here, especially a fellow Canberran! Thank you for your very kind words. And no, the next project is not a Romero one, although that may be the one after........ All will be revealed in due course. ;)

The scale of the framing was obvious due to the 150mm ruler laying beside them, but the shot of the fingernail sized frame ought to really bring the scale home for many. It did me!

You know they are small but when seeing that contrast.... well lets just say I'm not being TOO kind in my evaluation, your just TOO modest.

and if your an apprentice, I think any master ship wright would be ecstatic to have you working under them. Not all apprentices are equal. 

Okay, now I'm seriously worried....I have my ship's boats to do in the future and our models are close to the same scale! I can hardly wait to see your next steps!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Just catching up after an unplanned hiatus from the forum and my own VERY modest 1st build. It's high quality craftsmanship work like yours that in some ways intimidates, but certainly always provides a fantastic benchmark to aspire to! :)

Awesome stuff Grant.

Cheers

Leanne

Edited by Moo

Current build: HM Cutter Mermaid 1817
Next build: US Brig Syren...maybe :)

Thanks Andy, Alan, B.E., Sjors, Bob, Keith, Sherry, Leanne, Ben, John, and Lawrence, and once again, all of the "likes".

Ship's Boats continued:

Last night I glued the frames and their inner pieces into the building jig.  The trick with this is to ensure that the inner frame pieces are glued only to the main cutout insert and not the frames themselves, and that the frames are glued only to the jig slots and to the keel, and not to the either the frame inner pieces or main cutout insert.

Here's what that actually means:

post-242-0-69401300-1399538035_thumb.jpg

The above is the completed assembly.  During planking, the inserted pieces will give stability and strength to the frames.

Here is what it looks like without the inserts:

post-242-0-22527100-1399538049_thumb.jpg

In this next shot you can notice two things.  Firstly, that my keel slots were not aligned as well as they might have been, so I had to widen some of them (this won't be visible later, so no big deal).  The second thing is that you can see where the pressure of the Mk 1 Finger Clamp was slightly above tolerance and resulted in snapping the keel in two places.  :o  :huh:  :angry:  Once again, I don't think it will be too noticeable in the end as the entire hull will be painted, allowing me to apply a little filler as/where needed.

post-242-0-56702500-1399538062_thumb.jpg

And in the final shot below, the inner support pieces removed from the jig.  When in place, they are quite a snug fit so won't drop out accidentally if I pick the whole thing up.

post-242-0-27647300-1399538075_thumb.jpg

Overall, I'm reasonably satisfied with the outcome so far and will proceed to the next step - making the stemson and hawse timbers.  This should be fun!  :o  :o  :o

post-76-0-12096500-1399597932.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I really like the inner frame and build board cut out assembly, which can be added back for support. This is similar to Chuck's MS Pinnace design. I had all but decided to build using a solid former as cutting and reproducing the laser cut pieces was going to be a Bear of a job.

This method solves that problem/issue and the 1:24 pinnace kit won't be near as hard as your itsy bitsy 1:90 build. Great idea that I've never seen before. Thanks for sharing Grant.

Sometimes rather then trying to figure things out for yourself it pays to be slow and pay attention to what others are doing. I've had several problems solved in that way. There's nothing better then seeing the solution your needing on MSW. Thanks for passing this along, but now I want to start the MS Pinnace.

Hi Grant,

Great work so far on the boat - I'll probably copy your method for my (huge :D) 1:48 scale one for Vulture.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks Mark, Keith and Danny, and once again, all the "likes".

Just a brief update. I've had to head off to Sydney again on family business, but did manage to take a couple of pics of progress on the Pinnace before leaving. Now I've had a chance to upload these :)

Having fitted all the frames in place, the next stage was to install the Stemson.  I used some 1/32" x 3/64" castello box for this.  It is simply bent (with the aid of a small travel steam iron) to follow the curvature of the keel/apron:

post-242-0-64397900-1399951377_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-26496100-1399951385_thumb.jpg

Next was the creation of the Hawse Timbers.  The same 1/32" x 3/64"stock was used for these, and again they were simply bent to follow the shape of the Stemson.  Here are the first pair of Hawse timbers going in - they have yet to be trimmed to shape:

post-242-0-05492000-1399951355_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-09391800-1399951362_thumb.jpg

The remaining Hawse timbers were then created in similar fashion, following the curve of the last piece and stepping back along the curve of the bow, to eventually fill in the space between the keel/stem and the first frame.  They are yet to be trimmed to length and faired in.

post-242-0-43307500-1399951370_thumb.jpg

Next job will be to trim the ends of these to match the shape of the first frame, and then fair them to form a smooth, solid surface around the bow.  This will provide a good foundation for the planking at the bow.  Sounds easy enough - what could possibly go wrong?  :huh:  :o

All I can I do is shake my head in wonderment, Grant.   1:90 scale... I'd love to see what happens if you do a 1:64 or 1:48 build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Don't ya just love those fiddly bits, coming on a treat mate, looking real good.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mark's comment covers it.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

So you won't give up what your next build is, and I respect that.... but will you tell what scale it will be? Surely not another 1:90.

Nice work on the hawse timbers. Its hard to tell from the picture, did you notch the build board or do they stop flush at the build board. From having worked with small like this, I know that having them there will make planking the stem/bow easier. That's another interesting approach to a problem with building so small. Your giving up so really great build tricks with this build, Thanks my friend!

Thanks, Mobbsie, Andy, Augie, Sjors and Keith. Your comments and encouragement are always appreciated.

Keith - the hawse timbers are glued to the top surface of the build board.

Andy - a ship-in-a-bottle is on my "one day" list, but I don't think it will a fully framed one! Not even I am that mad!!! ;)

Ship's Boats continued:

Back home for the weekend and have managed to get a little bit more done on the Pinnace.

First up was trimming and shaping the hawse timbers.  The weapon of choice for this task was the micro motor dental polishing unit that Janos had put me onto some time ago:

post-242-0-11105400-1400311651_thumb.jpg

While it looks large in comparison to the task at hand, using the polishing stone tip makes this task controlled and quite easy. The unit has a variable speed foot control that I am growing to love very quickly.  I can see the Dremel being relegated to the "used technology drawer" in the near future.

post-242-0-97903700-1400311663_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-71992600-1400311677_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-41353600-1400311691_thumb.jpg

In the last photo above, you can just see a small gap between the Stem and the Hawse timbers at about the junction with the build board.  This is important and the reason will become apparent in the next post............

Edited by gjdale

Ship's Boats continued:

With the Hawse timbers completed, it's time to start planking.  I'm using 1/64" x 1/16" Holly for the planking.  The first plank to be installed is the Sheer plank.  All planks are soaked briefly in water, then pre-bent using a small travel steam iron. I find the steam iron gives me good control of the bends - especially the tighter ones. 

The gap mentioned in the last post comes into play here as it seats the forward end of the plank neatly while it bends around the bow.  The second photo below shows a close-up of this.  

post-242-0-79412800-1400312220_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-46863100-1400312233_thumb.jpg

The next plank is the Rubbing Rail.  This is thicker, but narrower plank, and I used 1/32" x 1/32" Costello Boxwood plank for this.  Again, pre-bending with the steam iron is essential.

post-242-0-36988900-1400312254_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-02925100-1400312268_thumb.jpg

The next plank is the first of the tapered planks.  There is not a lot of science applied here.  While it would be nice to do this the "proper" way, the scale and size of the actual materials make this impractical - at least for this apprentice shipwright.  in this case, I have simply tapered the plank to half it's original width at the bow, starting from about the fourth frame back.

post-242-0-78002900-1400312291_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-32185600-1400312305_thumb.jpg

More planking to come.  It will take another 7 or 8 strakes of planking to complete the hull.  Hopefully, I'll get to finish that tomorrow. The beauty of these little boats is that while they are fiddly and delicate, they do come together quite quickly. :)