USS Tennessee 1869 by Keith Black - scale 1:120 - Wood Hull Screw Frigate - ex Madawaska 1865

Tennessee is coming along very nicely by any standard!  

The fact that this is your first model makes it that much more impressive!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 5/3/2022 at 1:44 PM, rwiederrich said:

I'm proud Keith.  You've learned skills that equipped you to identify scale errors and attention to ever elusive details..   Powerful skills that you can employ in your next modeling adventure...if you choose to go there.

Rob, thank you. 

On 5/3/2022 at 4:17 PM, mtaylor said:

Pretty darn amazing  by any stretch. 

Thank you, Mark

On 5/3/2022 at 6:42 PM, GrandpaPhil said:

Tennessee is coming along very nicely by any standard!  

Phil, thank you. 

Happy Mother's Day to all our MSW moms and to all the moms around the world. Where would be if it wasn't for your love.

The mizzen is finished except for the main's topsail and topgallant brace lines running back to the mizzen and the three upper stays running from the mizzen to the main. 

I started attaching blocks to the mizzen mast around January the 15th so it's taken me four months to get here. I'm not happy with the results but I'm not unhappy, I guess I'm mildly pleased. I'm only unhappy because I feel I could/should have done better particularly with the channel deadeyes.

When attaching and rigging the cross jack I felt I was really rigging for the first time. Because the cross jack is attached to the mast via a truss the glue pint is minuscule. What really holds the yard in position are the lifts and braces. Those lines do not want to play nice when trying to establish level and perpendicular, in fact, they want to do the opposite of how I thought they should react to one another. It doesn't help that you're trying to adjust tension on four lines at the same time with two hands. 

4E184012-1B49-46C9-B155-8BF5C6B13210.thumb.jpeg.abed652cfb92a49f8fa638a7faeaa62b.jpeg

77CD70B7-0365-48E0-B952-A8FF8551BE6C.thumb.jpeg.5916954c9c40ada4ffd5c5c264834103.jpeg

4C6336E5-08C9-408E-8DC8-2049878A1EDA.thumb.jpeg.73553c9ab40a65d8c044badf227c0444.jpeg

9E7C63CE-FD3D-4ABF-B8DD-B0B3961CAB4C.thumb.jpeg.3564d51f65a503a10a4b1ad8c27433c2.jpeg

I wish my thimble and mouse looked more like the real thing verses looking like a flying cheeseburger  :huh:90EA0742-07D2-45C5-9E61-97076E9642C0.thumb.jpeg.c3bd689b6e797dd94621472ef7a567d1.jpeg

5845390C-A1EC-442C-AFE2-AD83AF0AC9FE.thumb.jpeg.f3b2799fa642a975cc8422fec7af1b58.jpeg

The mainmast is clamped in the workmate waiting for me to attach its blocks. I'll be taking a week off from modeling to work in the yard and get caught up on some projects around the house so it will be awhile before I'm able to post work updates.

To all for the comments and likes, thank you. To all those who follow me on my journey, thank you. Till next time, God bless each one of you. 

Tom is very much right.  Looks great so don't be hard on yourself.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Keith, 

I’m with Tom and Mark. I see nothing at all wrong with your work. I even zoomed in on the pictures. Beautiful job as always. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

That rigging looks good Keith, I think you have done a pretty decent job of it.  We are always our own worst critics :( 

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

On 5/2/2022 at 1:04 PM, rwiederrich said:

I wanted to show an image of the Constitution to show you that the channel needs to be wide enough to accommodate the angle of the shrouds, so they do not rub along the gunwale.

Rob

Boston Constitution (2).jpg

Thank you for bring back very fond memories of my two visits to 'Old Ironsides', the last one in July 2001.  Keep up the good work on your model!  You are an inspiration!

Results, not Excuses,

AnchorClanker

“Behold, how good and pleasant it is

when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!"

Ps 133:1

Thank you to all for the kind comments and likes.

I said in my last post that I had to catch up on some chores around the house before continuing work on the Tennessee. The chores are done but tragedy struck and has postponed efforts for the foreseeable future. 

My son passed away last week from a massive heart attack, he had just turned 49 on his last birthday in early March. I had always meant for the Tennessee to go to my son when my time on this earth was over but now, I don't know. The point of everything has gotten a bit sketchy as I'm adrift in a sea I don't understand how to navigate. This isn't the way life is supposed to happen but with God's grace I will overcome and continue on. 

One thing that has helped me since his death is my MSW membership. Being able to log on and see what my MSW family was up to has helped take my mind off the pain and sorrow. Thank you to each of you for being here, thank you for helping me carry on. God bless each and everyone of you.

Keith 

Very sorry to here of the loss of your son Keith. God’s peace will sustain you and He will guide your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus and his angels with guard over you. Take your time. Prayers for you and the family. 🙏

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Oh my gosh, Keith.  I am so sorry to hear this news.  That is definitely not the way life is supposed to happen.  I will be praying for you and your family.  May your faith in God carry you through this unthinkable tragedy.

Keith, I am so very sorry to hear of your son’s passing. Losing someone  you love so dearly is hard to endure but your faith will keep you strong. My prayers go with you, Paul 

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Keith, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your son. We will keep you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Keith,

This is terrible news and you have my condolences on the loss of your son.   I would suggest that you pause the build and when you feel up to it, continue it as a tribute in his honor.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Oh my Lord Keith...words can't begin to express the emotions you must be feeling. God alone can bring comfort.  I pray he was a man of faith, for *absent of the body is present with the Lord*.  What's impossible with man is possible for God.   I pray God's peace fills your heart, and those of your family.  I'm sorry my friend.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Keith, ever so sorry to hear of this sad news; my thoughts are with you and other members of your family.  When the time, and your thoughts, are right, perhaps you may complete the model as a lasting tribute or memorial to him.

My regards and condolences mate,

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Keith,

You have my deepest condolences.  I am so sorry for your loss.

Phil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Ohmigosh, Keith, I am so sorry to hear this incredibly sad news.   I haven't been on for awhile, and was reading all the great posts and viewing your latest pics of the ship (which is gorgeous), and then saw this terrible news.  Ditto with everyone else, to continue this build in honor of your son, but only when it feels right.  My condolences are with you in this extremely hard time.

Lynn

Keith,

What a shock!  Very sorry to hear about your sudden loss.  What a terrible event to have to deal with.  I will pray God will sustain you and your family through this ordeal.  

Chief Mark

Results, not Excuses,

AnchorClanker

“Behold, how good and pleasant it is

when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!"

Ps 133:1