HMS Atalanta 1775 by tlevine - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

Wonderful work, Toni.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments.  It was a little fiddley but I am pleased with the appearance.  Druxey, I looked at a lot of build logs and did not see anyone else notch the standards.  Remco, this was nothing compared to the detail work on your Kingfisher.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

The crosspiece of the bitts is comprised of two different wood species.  The fore section is oak and the thinner aft section is elm.  Both of these are light-colored species so I did not want a stark contrast between the two pieces.  I used pau marfin for the "elm".  The crosspiece is attached to each pin with two bolts.  The metal work for the bitt will wait until I have a few other metal projects, although the holes to accept the metal pieces have already been drilled.

post-262-0-08075300-1383832272_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-65871800-1383832288_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-13782500-1383832257_thumb.jpg

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

The sixth beam set is relatively straight forward.  The aft bulkhead for the boatswain's cabin was temporarily removed to make installation easier.  The pillar is supposed to go through the hatch coaming.  I cheated and it is simply glued to the surface of the coaming.  There is a tenon on the superior aspect of the pillar with a mortise on the under surface of the beam.

post-262-0-25023500-1383847620_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-11232700-1383848106_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-93036100-1383847634_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-77934000-1383847603_thumb.jpg

Toni

• 2 weeks later...

Beam set 7 includes the opening for the fore hatch.  These carlings are a little larger than the standard ones.  As I am building the lower deck structures as I move aft, it was time to build the aft sail room.  The fore sail room is one of the small rooms on the port side near beam set 4.  This was a fun little structure to make.  The lateral walls have louvers to allow ventilation into the room.  I do not own a mill so the mortises for the louvers were made with an 11 blade.  On Atalanta, the door into this room is a slider, not a hinged door.  Consequently, the door must be made wider than the opening and it will be on the outside wall of the sail room.  There is a pillar on the inside wall precluding placing the door there.  Not having built a sliding door before, I went over to the local stable and looked at my horse's stall door.  The latch is a L-shaped bolt on the door with a U-shaped piece of metal on the door frame to receive the bolt.  The bolt measured 3" x 4" x 3/8".  This would require making a u-shaped channel 0.01" square.  Needless to say, this is well beyond my skill set so I have a flat piece of metal on the door frame representing it instead.  Decking was placed under the assembly on the starboard side.  The last two pictures show the sail room assembly before and after a coat of finish.

post-262-0-33139600-1385075910_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-92781700-1385075918_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-12217600-1385075928_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-38201600-1385075939_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-67035600-1385075894_thumb.jpg

Toni

That's looking lovely, Toni. If you felt like it, you could fabricate a wood channel from a flat strip with two square ones glued on top, the door thickness apart.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Druxey, you caught me!  Actually, I wanted the glue on the door to be secure and then put the track on on top.  Going back to my stall door model, there is no track on the bottom.  Was there one on a ship?  Greg, I thought about cutting the mortises on the Preac (and when I do the upper well that is my plan) but I did not have a thin enough saw blade with me that day. 

Toni

Toni,

Very nice!

Maury

I imagine there would be tracks top and bottom. Your stalls are land-bound, so doesn't need two tracks, but imagine the door to the sail room banging around in a seaway. The lower track would be two battens nailed to the deck.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 weeks later...

A delayed thank you to Maurey and Pavel.  Druxey, the tracks are now installed and, like so many details that we add, are now almost invisible!  But we all know they are there...

Beam sets 9 and 10 are in place.  The only unusual items are the opposed lodging knees at the dead flat.  I did not have thick enough wood with me this week to make them, so they will be installed next week.  They will be identical to the ones on the lower deck.  Look at page 10 of this build to see how they are shaped.

post-262-0-72465100-1395190742_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-83431800-1385933438_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-48264900-1395190743_thumb.jpg

Edited by tlevine

Toni

Thanks, Ron.  The real fun will happen when I try the louvers on all four walls of the upper well!

Druxey, its people like yourself that keep us striving for accuracy.  I really appreciate it.

Toni

I have made and installed the opposed lodging knees.  Since I did not go into any detail on their construction for the lower deck, let me demonstrate how I made them.  First, I make a template of the knee and saw it out a bit oversized.  The thickness of the blank is about 2.5 times the normal thickness to allow for the curvatures.  I then mark on the blank the areas that will be removed. I use a combination of my Preac saw, Dremel sanding discs and sandpaper to remove the excess material.  The knees are given a final shaping and the bolts are added prior to installation. 

post-262-0-21204600-1395190892_thumb.jpg  post-262-0-09627200-1386642589_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-55409500-1386642590_thumb.jpg  post-262-0-63256000-1395190855_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-54445800-1386642592_thumb.jpgpost-262-0-92686200-1395190856_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-08565200-1386642594_thumb.jpg  post-262-0-20166000-1395190858_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-84659000-1386642595_thumb.jpg

Edited by tlevine

Toni

The last two pictures show the knees installed.

post-262-0-00331100-1386642856_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-93547200-1395190994_thumb.jpg

Edited by tlevine

Toni

They look very sharp. I am curious as to the reason that they exist, is it simply to deal with the knees coming from opposite ends and this is where they meet?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Lovely work on the knees and a great tutorial. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Amazing Toni!

A truly inspiring work with the mortises and an excelllent tutorial for that tricki knee... Did you use some kind of jig to cut the mortises on the "pump box"? I mean the pillars with that 11 blade. What stuff do you use to simulate the black bolting on the knees?

Beautiful.

Daniel.

They look very sharp. I am curious as to the reason that they exist, is it simply to deal with the knees coming from opposite ends and this is where they meet?

Michael

That's exactly right Michael.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi