Duchess of Kingston 1778 by rafine - Vanguard Models - 1:64

I received my kit today ( likely one of the first in U.S.). All arrived in good order and looks great. For those not aware from my Winchelsea build, I am in a pause on that project ,and decided that this would be a perfect way to fill whatever time I may have before being able to resume Winchelsea. Having followed James's prototype build, I'm looking forward to getting started on this immediately. I expect to have a first progress post within a few days.

Bob

4 hours ago, rafine said:

I am in a pause on that project ,and decided that this would be a perfect way to fill whatever time I may have before being able to resume Winchelsea.

I'm in the same boat as you Bob. :)

It'll be a lot of fun building along side with you and the others.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

My first progress post. I have done the basic hull framing. Here are my initial thoughts: 1) the laser cutting is excellent. The parts come out of the carrier sheets cleanly and easily.; 2) the fit of the framing parts is generally very good, but I did find it best to lightly sand the slots on each part to ease the fitting, while not making a sloppy fit. I used an emory board for this; 3) I followed the recommendation to dry fit all of the parts and then to brush glue onto the finished assembly. This was the first time that I had tried this method and it worked very well. I used diluted Titebond; 4) the framing is as square and stable as any kit I have ever seen.

Bob

IMG_0586.jpeg

IMG_0588.jpeg

IMG_0589.jpeg

IMG_0590.jpeg

Nice to see another Duchess coming together. You can tell it's a very solid frame!

Yes, there are so many interlocking slots that applying glue afterwards is the safest way and PVA/Titebond have good penetration...and even more so with a little dilution too. I've had to use this method on Victory too because of the sheer size of joint coverage area. By the time I'd be half way through applying, the chances are the glue would be going off, so application afterwards was key.

Very nice Bob. I agree that it all fits together quite nicely and the brushed on glue method really works well.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

There was a 'stray' slot on parts 16, the inner longitudinal patterns (Bulkhead 10 area) that was 3mm instead of 3.1mm. I have since corrected this, but for all the ones that have been cut already, the one slot is 3mm. The slot in Bulkhead 10 is 3.1mm, so it is only the one slot on parts 16 that is affected. Under normal circumstances, the 3mm would be fine, but as there are a lot of parts to slot into each other, it really should be 3.1 to make a hassle free fit.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

After wrestling with computer issues that were preventing me from posting, I can now document some progress. I have completed hull framing, added the cabin deck and the two sub-decks ,as well as the temporary bulwark cross pieces. Lastly, I have faired the hull. Now, it's on to the bulwark pieces and then the first planking.

Bob

E6qBhxjBRammX8M9APTxeQ_thumb_1779.jpg

fullsizeoutput_ad5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_adb.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ad7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_ad9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_add.jpeg

Y3fYcFgZRcySfvy+xJMZAw.jpg

IMG_0617.JPG

Regarding the brushed on glue method, I am not building this kit but assume it would work well for any kit so I was wondering about it. Do you dilute with water? And what is a good ratio of glue to water to use?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Barnard

Current build: HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models)

On hold: Niagara (Model Shipways), Constitution (Mamoli)

Completed:

Marseille (Mamoli)

Duke William (Kammerlander)

Halifax (Lauck Street Shipyard)

I just took my seat to watch this build as well, Bob. It looks like you are moving right along so I don't expect any dull moments in this show!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the comments and "likes".

Dave, I did dilute the glue, but no science was involved. My method was simply to put some glue ( Titebond) on a piece of styrene, take a brush and dip it in water, then pick up some glue with the wet brush. I'm sure the amount of dilution varied from one brushful to the next.

Bob

'. 

I've added the base stem piece and then added the ply bulwark pieces. I'm not a big fan of one piece bulwarks, preferring to frame them, but I chose to go with the kit parts here. They actually went on pretty easily and smoothly, after soaking in hot water and shaping around a former. 

I've now begun the first lower hull planking.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_ae6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aea.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aec.jpeg

3 hours ago, rafine said:

I'm not a big fan of one piece bulwarks, preferring to frame them, but I chose to go with the kit parts here. They actually went on pretty easily and smoothly, after soaking in hot water and shaping around a former. 

Looks good Bob. This is only the second time I've used a one piece bulwark and I agree they went on nicely.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 2 weeks later...

It took me a bit, but I've finished the first planking. I used scale length planks, rather than full length, because I've done it that way for years and find it much easier. I didn't worry about a prototypical planking  pattern, however, since it will all be covered over by the second planking, which I will do properly. The goal was merely to get a smooth, even surface, which was achieved with a little filler and a lot of sanding.

After the planking, I added the keel pieces.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_af3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_af1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_af7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_afa.jpeg

Looking very smooth Bob.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I have now added the outer bulwark facing pieces, as well as the facing pieces for the stem and keel. I have also added the stern post assembly. The precision with which these parts have been manufactured is truly impressive The use of the pre-drilled pin holes to key the parts together leaves virtually no room for error. Finally, I added the two counter pieces.On reflection, I would add them before doing the  first planking to avoid leaving the gap (my mistake) below the counter  that I will have to deal with when doing the second planking.

Now, it's on to the second hull planking.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_b01.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b02.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_aff.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_afe.jpeg