HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

Really enjoying watching your progr

Thank you for saying so!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 5/19/2022 at 6:59 AM, scrubbyj427 said:

Once you complete planking

So there is such a place, a world of completed planking…🤣😂

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

We know that every plank is a project.

715AEFA8-1238-4466-AA0F-9B475AD6F550.thumb.jpeg.9754b16ded60abdaa193a878661f5549.jpeg

Often for me one plank is many projects. If they’re close but not right, I break them to avoid the temptation of “it’s good enough.”

With summer, travel, and grandkids my rapid pace of 1-3 successful planks a day may slow.  Hopefully by July my hull will be planked.

sigh….. 

Regards,

Glenn

23 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

We know that every plank is a project.

715AEFA8-1238-4466-AA0F-9B475AD6F550.thumb.jpeg.9754b16ded60abdaa193a878661f5549.jpeg

Often for me one plank is many projects. If they’re close but not right, I break them to avoid the temptation of “it’s good enough.”

With summer, travel, and grandkids my rapid pace of 1-3 successful planks a day may slow.  Hopefully by July my hull will be planked.

sigh….. 

Come July and the completion of your long planking journey, you’ll never once look back and say to yourself  “I wish I used that good enough plank a few times and finished sooner”....

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

25 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

You're not alone, Glenn. Hopefully by July my HMS Camilla's rigging may be done. So many grandchildren, so little time...

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

6 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

you’ll never once look back

Yep, that’s why I break them😜

Regards,

Glenn

A milestone reached…..sorta. 

1/3rd of one side of the hull complete….sorta. 

A0C44622-489D-4826-8AC4-C864972DC7D9.thumb.jpeg.4cc65650940f89aa543fcd79c9445fae.jpeg

The first light coat of WOP and these macro photos reveal additional touch up and additional sanding needed. The top half has more WOP coats. I’ll sand it all down with 800 grit at the end of my planking marathon. Still nice to complete something.

Lots of other June activities, she will have to be waiting for me for a while. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Nice!!!

I second that. Well worth the time spent!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

3 hours ago, glbarlow said:

1/3rd of one side of the hull complete….sorta. 

Beautiful work.

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

3 hours ago, Chuck said:

Nice

2 hours ago, Rustyj said:

second that.

2 hours ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

smooth looking

1 hour ago, hollowneck said:

Beautiful work.

Thank you all for the kind words. It’s all going to be worth it when I finally turn it right side up. Though I’ve seen about enough of those lovely ¼ cedar planks, don’t tell anybody but I kinda like planking. 

I’ll probably have withdrawal pains not working on her for a couple of weeks. I hope to finish the planking by the end of July. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

10 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I’ll probably have withdrawal pains not working on her for a couple of weeks. I hope to finish the planking by the end of July. 

Withdrawal pains! Welcome to the club!

planking looks spot on! Well done!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Immaculate! 

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

11 hours ago, glbarlow said:

don’t tell anybody but I kinda like planking. 

...don't tell anybody but I kinda like rigging....I hope to finish rigging by the end of July. As the Plague recedes, Summer beckons!

Ron

17 hours ago, glbarlow said:

The first light coat of WOP and these macro photos reveal additional touch up and additional sanding needed.

Well, Glenn, your eyes must be much better than mine. I can't imagine that it could look any better than that. You're setting the bar very high!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

56 minutes ago, BobG said:

You're setting the bar very high!

I’m by own worst critic, there does come a point where I know I’m over-optimizing.  I usually figure that out after I’m well past it.

Regards,

Glenn

• 4 weeks later...

A Half A Milestone

After a two week interlude of family vacations in Colorado and North Carolina I'm back to spending time with Winchelsea. I’ve now reached half of a major milestone by completing one side of the hull, only eight more strakes to go on the port side to finish my seemingly life long pursuit of planking.

Other than apologizing for the poor lighting and rushed quality of photographs there isn’t too much to add to the text, I’ve about used up all my planking related commentary having been at for four months or so at this point. So here in her upside down glory subject to all that macro shots expose:

1706881505_Post18-6284.jpg.84f7dc200b808bc35d0a011d75fa949c.jpg

838962277_Post18-6288.jpg.8368839adca3031e99bae60ad3934e3b.jpg

1996079987_Post18-6286.jpg.c76984c9fe92498e4f98d41499806f5a.jpg

106319366_Post18-6291.jpg.fc056a485578ed683be822062243a3c9.jpg

I’m not at all concerned about the different shades. I completed Cheerful just over a year ago, I know the AYC mellows wonderfully with age and evens itself out.  Plus there is only a single coat of WOP at the moment. I will sand with 800 grit and add at least two more coats before I call it done, that too will even out the color.  Plus there is all that character and showcasing the butt shift pattern.

Now flipping it over for the first time in a long time:

608842898_Post18-6294.jpg.1e6f3e2759d03d728a921830dc211ff1.jpg

202205506_Post18-6295.jpg.0903dab3c66b81c1469b77c1c3fdde89.jpg

83652962_Post18-6297.jpg.8913162b10d3ff07d33b0c765fba65b1.jpg

351920446_Post18-6293.jpg.7edbe9e4ebd7a4984c471d6481969d6a.jpg

Now back to my push to complete the hull and seeing her deck up going forward.  As always thank you for the likes and your comments, they motivate me to continue.

Regards,

Glenn

I love the color of your AYC, prticularly in the 2nd shot..   I have saved that one and it is my standard now..  If my work doesn't look close to that-tear it off and start over..😁

I hope the lighting doesn't change it much..  Of course it may darken some with age, but you are achieving an exceptional finish.

Have I misread somewhere that you are using boxwood, and not AYC?

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thank you all for the kind comments. 

The bad lighting is referring to the bright spots, the color of the wood is true.

I’m building ind AYC. I love boxwood too, but not this time around. 

Regards,

Glenn

Honestly, I don't think that planking can get any better than this, Glenn! Wow!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Exceptional!! Nothing more to be said.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED