HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

An Upright Hull at Last

Thought I’d share a few photos of my Winchelsea hull upright.

I thought about what would be easier to do now than later in the build, following the always good practice of reading ahead.

132465686_Post20-6338.jpg.4c0d25cf6b9d2339a3467e2d78c56caa.jpg

I drilled out the rudder port. To line it up I cut out a copy of the counter frieze and loosely taped it to the counter (I’ll get a better fit, only concerned about the rudder port) after cutting out the black area representing the port, drew a pencil line, drilled a hole, and worked my way out with a #11 blade and sanding sticks. I pulled out the rudder pieces from Chapter 5 and held the two parts together that pass through the port (the dark line shown in the photo is the rudder) to confirm the hole was big enough. I stopped well short of the black line, I’ll adjust later as needed. The still unassembled rudder went back in the bag.

796558502_Post20-6347.jpg.c7b4c5beaa1507356dd6912fcbd2a633.jpg

I used the jig from Chapter 10 to determine the height of the stern frames and cut them down about 1/8th higher than the jig to allow for future adjustments. Why not paint them black, as they eventually must be, while I’m at it. I will admit I broke one during the hull planking, fortunately it was a clean break and easily glued back together. I waited until the planking was complete, it has bothered me looking at it all that time. Now it’s fixed.

395217039_Post20-6351.jpg.36ab102ab6b66a45e8a5d19542260ccd.jpg

Finally I painted the stem. It was always going to be black, I’d rather deal with occasional touch up and get it done now while it’s relatively easy to do.

1262622445_Post20-6346.jpg.646e17d1f2e6bb5ecbab53548de72cec.jpg

With that the hull is prepped and ready for the next steps, the transom, upper counter, and quarter galleries - can’t wait.  Once again, excuse the rushed iPhone photos with their work light glare.

As always thank you for stopping by with your likes and your comments. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Beautiful work! As a newbie to wooden ship building, thank you for the reminder of how much time it can take to get planks to fit. I need that reminder that because it takes time isn’t just because I don’t know what I’m doing…

Cheers,

Dave

LCdr Dave

Current Build: Mayflower - Billing Boats

3 hours ago, LCdr Dave said:

it takes time isn’t just because I don’t know what I’m doing…

Thanks for the comment. I think it takes time because we know what we’re doing😊

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

14 hours ago, garyshipwright said:

planking job is outstanding

Thank you. It’s such an important part of the model. 

6 hours ago, westwood said:

handled the planking nicely

Thanks. Just trying to do well with all that wonderful AYC. 

Regards,

Glenn

3 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

Simply beautiful

Thanks Frank, I appreciate your saying so. 

Regards,

Glenn

19 minutes ago, Thistle17 said:

One word describes your work

I could think of a few others, but thank you very much. 

Regards,

Glenn

The Beginning of a Transom

Normally I dread building out the transom on a model, it seems to me commercial manufactures just throw whatever on the back of the ship and move on.  Not the case with Winchelsea just as it wasn’t with Cheerful. This is much more complex, much more fun, and will look great if I can pull it off. It much more complex, oh wait I said that already.

274172663_Post21-6359.jpg.9ba6d0e4a706aed5b652201416a70c9a.jpg

The first step, adding the transom itself, was a bit anti-climatic, so much so I forgot to take any photos. I had this part when I was building out the stern frames, I also had the windows - I spent a long time back then making sure I had the right fit and alignment of the frames to properly fit the windows. I marked the transom accordingly and put it away until now.  Of course I rechecked all those measurements before I glued it on.

I pre-painted the transom Cerulean Blue (I later painted the area between the windows, just didn't have a photo) knowing I’d be touching it up a lot - I didn’t want paint on the inside of the window frames, it was easier for me to make that happen now. I also widened the two ports to match the fillers and painted it the same Crimson red the deck area will be and the cannon ports are now. I like this RED color.

594807178_Post21-6368.jpg.d58686fd878fb64550f33fb7abe6df8f.jpg

With that done I added the three 7/32 planks for the upper counter. I felt a little guilty not including pencil marks between planks, but this soon will be covered by the ships name frieze. Looking at it and the lower counter really demonstrates the difference a little #2 pencil can make. I did have to make adjustments to get the fit I wanted, once again proving I was far from perfect building out the frame no matter how careful I was at the time. Good news, it’s wood. The adjustments weren’t difficult to make, just took some time. I left room for additional sanding once I get to that point of adding the frieze and molding.

1495578032_Post21-6371.jpg.da10b14659ed7f2c7dd1fb9cb1c372d1.jpg

I guess I should have faired more of the stern frames way back when, I had very little room to fit in the quarter gallery stern window piece. All I needed was enough to fit the frame properly, so with lots and lots of sand, test, sand, test I got the fit. I faired the frames at the time to match a cut-out from the plans, still the variance here is only about 1-2mm, so I guess I should have faired the upper frames a little more. In my defense my focus at the time was not under-sizing the lower counter to match the plan template, which it does so…

1880551895_Post21-6372.jpg.2b3ed25283e4a27176f8d32a9bb04f3d.jpg

This was fun. I elected to use my jeweler’s saw to cut the upper counter excess to fit. I had made the counter extra long knowing it would be easier to cut with this saw.  I just stayed well outside the line and sanded it to the line after cutting.

2027468695_Post21-6380.jpg.18a4d5187572e4cc6cc820a2d6670491.jpg

756519877_Post21-6390.jpg.80b58dcf26a9b61322ac4e5e99170e75.jpg

I’ll have to admit to being a bit skeptical about the bending properties of a 1/64th strip of wood - sure Chuck can do it, but could I.  It turned out deceptively easy to bend, though it took me more than the required nine pieces (I’m not saying how many) to get a fit I liked.  Once complete it looks exceptionally nice, a perfect design to finish off the top of the transom.

1999587488_Post21-6397.jpg.e3d6ed58e342ebb79bf8b8fd97b102b8.jpg

Per the monograph I painted the top of the rail and stern frames black where it eventually will meet up with the side railings and left outside of that bright.  I added the frames, windows and back fillers, sanded it flush and added a coat of WOP.

I elected to fill the seam on the outside edge and paint it blue. Though it is covered by a carving and won’t show much I didn’t like the seam and I thought the blue would highlight the carving. Time will tell.

I could have mixed a little white into my flat black paint for the stern view of the galley windows, but where is the fun in that, instead I brushed on a little white weathering powder from my Doc O’Brien set. The frames are centered, just a trick of shadows and lighting making it appear a bit off. I also checked with the other windows in place to make sure it had a consistent look. I did not sand the window frames, at all, way to fragile for me.  I did though lightly brush on a coat of WOP. Frankly I think the light laser char gives them more depth and character. 

1948997309_Post21-6400.jpg.5dbfd08d8c575c5eaf8027ce8bce739d.jpg

The transom looks a little beat-up at this point, there is a lot of molding and carving to add in addition to the upper and lower counter friezes. It’s prepped for when that time comes. Until then I turn my attention to the fascinating challenge of building the two galleries, did I mention its all very complex.

Thanks as always for your likes and comments and for stopping by to take a look.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Great work on the transom, but my eyes are still drawn to the flow of the planking into the counter.  Just awesome..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

20 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Great work on the transom, but my eyes are still drawn to the flow of the planking into the counter.  Just awesome..

Second that! 👍

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Wow some day maybe mine might look like that, but not today lol Very nice work I just had to say ,   Outstanding  :dancetl6:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Very nice start on the transom Glenn, I  can tell you're already enjoying chapter three, and you still got the really fun part to go😁.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Looks nice...one thing I do recommend is that the blue paint on the stern transom shouldnt be used at full brilliance or saturation.  Its too bright and blue....Before you add anything else I do recommend that the blue paint there be toned down with just the smallest amount of white mixed in to it to lighten it up.   Iamof course suggesting some white mixed with the blue on your pallet before you paint.   Just a smidgeon....it helps a lot.

Chuck

15 minutes ago, Chuck said:

blue paint there be toned down

Thanks Chuck, I’ll do that. It’s Winsor Newton from the tube thinned with water. I’ll add a little white to the paint jar.  

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

16 hours ago, Gregory said:

flow of the planking into the counter. 

It does look pretty cool😊

15 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

nice work

Thank you

16 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Second that!

Thanks Dave

56 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

you still got the really fun part to go😁.

It’s all really fun, sometimes I get to do it over again for even more fun😂

Regards,

Glenn

Following Chuck’s recommendation I re-painted the transom. I added a bit of Winsor & Newton Titanium White to the pure Cerulean Blue that was there before.

1583442994_Post21b-6400.jpg.bd92ccf74bb95ab2eaa458dd50e941fe.jpg

379201131_Post21b-6415.jpg.e6049a1c07cbf39a206f66ae2bd6421d.jpg

The difference is subtle yet significant. It much more closely matches the shade of the friezes that will be added soon. So thanks Chuck, it is a definite improvement, on top of it matching it’s just a nicer color overall. 

Regards,

Glenn

Everything is looking really nice Glenn. You and I must fair alike.

Your quarter gallery stern window piece fit pretty much just like mine! :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

13 hours ago, Rustyj said:

gallery stern window piece fit pretty much just like mine!

Thanks Rusty, your log is a frequent reference for me and always fun to see your take on steps of the build.  

Regards,

Glenn

Mini-me makes his first appearance on Winchelsea after supervising Cheerful’s build.  His first reaction:

D68B9DB9-A369-4ECF-AB09-CC408FECC3F1.thumb.jpeg.c003ebfa7ea67650d7f4b31a31b95fdd.jpeg

”These facilities are pretty tight, but it’s better than the open air head on Cheerful.”

I’m plugging away on the galleries (and beating up the wales while I’m at it), a better post when I finish them. Lots of family distractions at the moment. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Mini Glenn does have that slightly peeved look on viewing the facilities 😉

As ever, crisp and clean work, looking really good. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, bdgiantman2 said:

The mini-me imitators are hilarious and thriving well. 

Imitators?

Regards,

Glenn

12 minutes ago, SteveL said:

laser cut pieces for the bow fairing caps

Not sure what you’re referring to, do you mean in the framing before planking?

Regards,

Glenn

47 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Not sure what you’re referring to, do you mean in the framing before planking?

When preparing to do inboard fairing (down to 3/16), you use 1/16 x 3/16 strips at the quarter deck and waist. The bow, of course has a significant curve and it would be difficult to bend the 1/16 x 3/16 strips. I could fabricate these pieces but I thought maybe I had overlooked laser cut pieces. I guess I’m just surprised, considering all the excellent parts Chuck has provided.