HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

It looks better with the second coat of WOP and will better still with the third coat, gotta love AYC.

Thank you all for the comments and the likes!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Stunning planking Job Glenn... I want to tear all mine off and replank the Wales down. Beautiful work and right on time with your planking schedule.

if your looking to achieve some more yellow tone to the wood I found that WOP coats worked but between coats i lightly rubbed on some watco  golden oak oil finish after a fine sand (800 grit) and then applied another coat of WOP until you achieve the finish you want. It will look just like the contemporary models do. After more than a year mine has a nice boxwood like finish to it, AYC  is a wonderful wood.

https://www.amazon.com/Watco-242210-Danish-Finish-Golden/dp/B000ONVI8Q

Edited by scrubbyj427

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Thanks JJ, your planking is great, nothing needing change, mine has its flaws.

I’m fortunate to have completed Cheerful over a year ago now it sits in indirect sunlight and has taken on a warm and even gold glow. I’m hoping my Winchelsea will do the same.  I do like the color tone on yours and appreciate the suggestion. 

26FFCFE3-F5D2-42F0-8FE0-3DDF72B07089.thumb.jpeg.f8a37c9b97860214892ae5e157956399.jpeg

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Fantastic planking Glenn. Your workmanship is second to none!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Glenn your cheerful looks great, did you build her Out of AYC as well? No issues with indirect sunlight? 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

19 minutes ago, scrubbyj427 said:

did you build her Out of AYC as well?

Yes, AYC. I turn it every month but no sunlight is hitting it. It’s just mellowed since I finished it. 😊 sort of I have as I’ve aged. 

Regards,

Glenn

33 minutes ago, Rustyj said:

Fantastic planking Glenn.

Thanks Rusty, but I’m pretty sure I’m second to a lot of our planking crowd 😊

Regards,

Glenn

11 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Yes, AYC. I turn it every month but no sunlight is hitting it. It’s just mellowed since I finished it. 😊 sort of I have as I’ve aged. 

Your Cheerful and Winnie will look great side by side.

1 hour ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Your Cheerful and Winnie will look great side by side.

I’m looking forward to that day, I think they will too. If I get to that day😁

Regards,

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Hull Planking Complete!

It’s a big day, after more than four months of doing nothing but planking the enormous Winchelsea I’ve completed planking her hull, yay! A little story on how I got there:

1572354373_Post19-6309.jpg.e5e306cfa6ba9fbf39cbc80c58b93955.jpg

It begins with my once again championing Chuck’s planking technique. No way I’d gotten anywhere as good a result without heat bending planks. The one shown here is next up on the bow and, like its cousins, will fit perfectly without forcing flowing with the curves. It does take time and patience, there are planks that took me 10 minutes to shape (midships), others that took two hours, and more than a few that took almost an entire day. Many took multiple attempts to finally get one to fit right, more than a few were cracked in half and flung across the room - patience yes, but come-on man, fit already.

1778644269_Post19-6315.jpg.6918674aa450163d7c369cdbbd3b551b.jpg

RIP. I’m sad to say, after hours and hours of use on Cheerful, Flirt, and 96% of Winchelsea my travel iron gave up and died. No matter, off to Target and $12.95 later it’s identical replacement is now in service of my shipyard. Maybe I shouldn’t leave it plugged in all day.

1970962226_Post19-6304.jpg.b9116577233fd4430603d730d77e968d.jpg

I spent over a week fairing the frames months ago, that doesn’t mean I did it completely right. With my limited abilities I sometimes needed the plank dry-fitted in place to see how it flowed. I am not reluctant to use a shim on occasion (never more than 1/64th needed fortunately) to make an adjustment where needed. In this case the rabbet slot wasn’t as deep as I’d like, a Swan Morton mini-chisel with two very sharp blade sizes (thanks @Blue Ensign) was perfect for making it a tad deeper.

778159201_Post19-6272.jpg.41cd4f84443c3e23b115a9cce75f62b9.jpg

In the vein of not always doing it right, the tick strips Chuck provides were a gift, saving hours of work lining the hull. However, as faithful as I tried to be I wasn’t always near faithful enough. Occasionally I got out my planking fan (also provided by Chuck, but with the Cheerful monograph) to check and often re-mark. Were I really good at cutting and adding planks maybe I wouldn’t have needed it, but this extra step payed dividends.

323729974_Post19-6308.jpg.579e275328dbc7f790e34e7f9725b151.jpg

1185264522_Post19-6305.jpg.cdfe888bf417eb07ac3c87fabe762d62.jpg

I followed a butt shift pattern that I extrapolated from the plans (which show only above the wales) then marked it out on the frames with my red pencil. Not being a total masochist I didn’t actually cut the planks at the first line of joints nearest the bow and last line nearest the stern, it was much easier and crisper to run those planks to the next joint, fitting the resulting longer plank. I then used this flat sharp blade to notch the joint into plank at the proper location before laying the next plank. So that secret’s out.

You can see in the upper right corner I’ve hand drilled one of three #4 machine screw size holes in the keel.  I don’t know yet what the final display board will be or if these holes are even needed, but it’s much easier drill them now than with the model finished.

161468375_Post19-6318.jpg.4ed906d37e90b2070840f5d8e7f15965.jpg

So finally I came to the last plank - I had to sit for a while to appreciate how far I and this wonderful, but very large, model had come since I started it last November. With my zen moment over - it then it took me several hours to get it to fit, as for the last time broken rejects were flung across the room, and all was peaceful at last.

1514253939_Post19-6321.jpg.003a0fb3af1794f50494f2e9e1469c2c.jpg

It may be hard to believe, or wonder why, but everyone of these sanding tools were used during the course of the planking. A bit extreme I’m sure but these Soft Sanders are perfect for the job. Last two times I ordered adhesive sandpaper the manufacturer included a number of half width sanders, so naturally I had to put sandpaper on them. I used 150, 180, 220, 320, 400, 600. and 800 grit at various times, again an excessive range I’m sure. I even used 1200 on the wales after they were painted to remove a few scratches without removing the paint. In addition to the soft sanders I frequently used my little wood blocks with the same adhesive sandpaper attached (every plank was beveled using those). The flexible sticks of 400, 600, and 800 grit shown in the photo are new additions from Amazon that were also helpful.

I realize that last paragraph was way more information than anyone cares about, but I feel an obligation to thank not only the plank bending process, but the tools that helped me get to this point.

866114592_Post19-6324.jpg.a153abb80f5fbd4705ec3a5590904ae3.jpg

Speaking of people to thank I absolutely have to thank Jim Byrnes for his amazing machines. The angle of every plank at the bow and every plank joint was shaped or squared by the Byrnes Sander. Every plank used was first run through the Thickness Sander (shown with my vacuum attachment still on top. It flings a lot of dust, I’d rather than was into my shop vac and not the air. It also fits the saw and the sander. (Also note the tape on the bottom with Up and Down direction marked for those of us easily confused, though maybe it should say More and Less). Every plank was milled on the Byrnes Saw, the most essential, and likely the best tool in my shop. I shared the story in the tool forum of the saw starting to make an atypical noise. I called Jim, after troubleshooting with me he sent a replacement part and guided me on installing it. It then worked fine, but was the blade was rubbing the blade cover, so he cut a replacement with the slot moved over a milimeter or two and sent me that. There is no better example of superb workmanship coupled with incredible customer care than Byrnes Model Machines.

773329097_Post19-6314.jpg.2fb4c3860b286e3e9a5bd5c9746127e9.jpg

Next up was the stern post. More complicated than you’d think but for good reason, it took several hours to fit. The laser cut post is cut large on purpose, because every hull ends up slightly different. The challenge is to both cut it to the proper length and shape the curve to fit at the counter, and of course to have a flat, squared, and leveled surface there where I’d terminated all those planks. I used practice pieces to sort out both the length and the curve. I could shorten the post, but of course I couldn’t un-shorten it, so several scraps were used to get it close with final sanding from there.

1281024509_Post19-6320.jpg.b20d276ba25a2a658866ebaaaff400f3.jpg

It was then marked, centered, clamped (including my handy large rubber bands doubled for the length required) and attached with Titebond III.

665565721_Post19-6330.jpg.1b94ffbeed515e7730a6a9dd042d90b6.jpg

1562385447_Post19-6332.jpg.f0a6770190a1ec1de3cedb0088a66d81.jpg

And it was done. While I didn't need wood filler in the planking itself I did use it along the seam of the stem, sternpost, and keel. I like the look. That look was made better by the use of the Winsor and Newton Pro Markers markers Chuck mentioned in his log. In my case Almond was the preferred color to add over the wood filler, I think it blended well.

452716590_Post19-6327.jpg.bfc9a1c51bd7353aeca250f5e47fae97.jpg

1830647875_Post19-6333.jpg.b5a73e424f6e526a486b62669993c78c.jpg

1068896017_Post19-6331.jpg.1675d08944531c467809015a43cc4bba.jpg

1907348887_Post19-6326.jpg.d8a170994a1acce01fd1730c66aca431.jpg

In these photos and the ones above the WOP is freshly applied, hence the sheen bounced by the work lights. It drys to a nice satin finish, that in turn will age and even out nicely with time.

So, Chapter 2 is complete. I have my finished hull, after another coat or two of WOP on the port side I’ll finally turn her over right side up and begin the next phase. I’d like to say I’ve enjoyed planking (well, I kinda have) and wish there were more to do (I definitely don’t). Chapter 3 is about as different as it can be from Chapter 2, I’m looking forward to it as the next challenge.

Thank you all for your support with your likes and comments - its nice to hear from you and is very appreciated.

Regards,

Glenn

A lot of images going into  my " How I want things to look " collection...

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Beautiful...you will never go back to planking any other way.  The proof is in the pudding!!!

Well done and she looks great.   Onto chapter three, LOL.  But lets see some pictures of her right side up!!!

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Beautiful...you will never go back to planking any other way. 

Is there another way?

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

That is a truly beautiful planking job.Tools and methods are great, but it is still up to you to execute the task, and you have done it as well as it can be done.

Bob

19 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Your planking

Thanks BE - I always enjoy the details of your models.

19 hours ago, KentM said:

Absolutely superb

Thank you, it's a great model to work with

19 hours ago, Gregory said:

" How I want things to look " collection...

I have one of those too - I'm just passing by the greats.

17 hours ago, Dave_E said:

You are a planking

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the comment, not sure I am but appreciate it nonetheless.

17 hours ago, Trussben said:

get to do some of the more fun stuff

Thanks - I'm definitely looking forward to anything that isn't planking.

16 hours ago, rafine said:

still up to you to execute the task

Thank you Bob - I appreciate your saying so. It definitely is worth the effort in the end to see how it all comes out.

12 hours ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

beautiful work

Thank you Don, I appreciate the comment. Fun stuff this.

1 hour ago, scrubbyj427 said:

perfect planking

Not sure it's that, but thanks for saying so.

Regards,

Glenn

19 hours ago, Chuck said:

Beautiful...you will never go back to planking any other way. 

Thank you Chuck, I appreciate your saying so. AYC is such beautiful wood.  

I'm really not sure how I planked seven models in some other way, for sure whatever that way was I'm never going back to it.  On the other hand it will be nice doing something besides planking finally - at least until I get to the deck...

Regards,

Glenn

Simply a work of art, Glenn! I can't think of a more appropriate way to describe it...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Truly beautiful Glenn. I've never seen a better planking job - you've set the bar very high!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

An absolutely stunning hull!! Beautiful planking job Glenn,  now its onwards to Chapter 3, have fun, I know I thoroughly enjoyed it after the initial reservations. 

I look forward to your interpretation of the stern and galleries. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, BobG said:

a work of art,

Thanks Bob, I have to admit I do like those top (or bottom up) views, the lines are very nice.

1 hour ago, DelF said:

I've never seen a better planking job

Thank you Derek. It's not without its flaws, it did turn out pretty well though - lot of time invested in many many strips of ¼" wood strips.

18 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

onwards to Chapter 3

Thank you. Chapter 3 will certainly be different, I'm looking forward to starting it after another coat or two of WOP. Plus I'm in the process of converting the build board.  Looking forward to the next steps.

Regards,

Glenn

On 7/10/2022 at 11:21 AM, glbarlow said:

I then used this flat sharp blade to notch the joint into plank at the proper location before laying the next plank. So that secret’s out.

I don't understand the "secret," Glenn. Help please?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

16 minutes ago, BobG said:

don't understand the "secret,"

Just being silly; using the blade in the photo to fake the joint closest to the bow. Really not a secret. 

Regards,

Glenn

Just caught up with your build Glenn! Excellent job on the planking.

It's a perfect example of Chuck's "slow and steady" approach! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Rusty, I do think imay have taken every plan a project to the extreme in some cases🤣

Regards,

Glenn