HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

On 3/18/2022 at 9:40 PM, glbarlow said:

Thank you, but it’s far from that. I feel every mistake 

I'm sure that you're the only one that will be able to see any "mistakes"...she looks perfectly stunning to me!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

First Band of Planking

It took two weeks, I’ve completed the first band of 6 planks on one side (and two on the other) for the main hull planking.

364374766_Post15-5888.jpg.042e2e677199ece9ad157d2499f152f5.jpg

Chuck providing us the tick strips is such a great gift. While having lined the much smaller Cheerful using a planking fan was a good learning exercise, without the tick strips provided for Winchelsea it would have taken me forever to do. As it was it was a full days work marking, making sure I had it right, then adding red ticks for my plank shift pattern and then blue marks to signify the bands. The chart tape helped me check the line. I made a few adjustments after this and will note the tape no longer stuck at the bow, so it looks ajar because it is.

1222036273_Post15-5890.jpg.bbefb638c4098af1d791414f7e234d3b.jpg

I started by doing two rows on each side, I wanted to be sure I was past the drop plank without the challenges I had with Cheerful. This time it went so much better. From here on I am alternating sides after completing a band.

966082787_Post15-5894.jpg.2cf6c4aa1cfad4c33a30813f36110776.jpg

I’ve shown my plank bending station before (a raised board, clamps, travel iron and the recent addition of a craft hot air tool), here’s basically all the tools I need for planking. The dispenser for my Smith Industries medium CA, an Excel #11 blade along with a Swann-Morton #11 scalpel blade (for no rhyme or reason I’ll cut planks with either or both), the home-made sanding blocks I use to soften the inside edge of each plank where it meets the adjoining plank, pencil for marking and metal ruler for cutting. Missing is the the #2 wood pencil I use to “tar” one edge of each plank. I've recently added a new tool, double sided tape. I can hold the plank down for longer cuts required for Winchelsea without concern of it slipping beneath the metal rule as I cut.

I use this spatula to apply the glue to the back side of the plank over each bulkhead. Basically I lightly “butter” the back side as I go, gluing either one, two, but never more than three bulkheads at a time depending on the place in the run. This allows me to keep the plank close, limit to the small amount of glue needed, and firmly hold the plank both to the bulkhead and up tight up against its neighbor a little at a time. My forearms are generally sore from the resulting isometric exercise at the end of the day.

1296717325_Post15-5900.jpg.f0caaa4b6b663141875b4d89baea7ce4.jpg

It’s a slow process to attach each plank this way, but it works for me and I’m sure it’s much faster than not using CA. I don’t start that process until I’ve tapered the plank per the tick marks and shaped it at the bending station strictly with heat, no water needed. As has been said, each plank is its own project. It can take me a few minutes or an hour or more to get the plank to the to lay where its supposed to be with no force added by me other than gluing it. Chuck’s method was a game changer for me, I really don’t know how I ever planked a ship before. It’s amazing how wood can be shaped with no more than a little heat. The bow is a challenge, the stern even more so. The planks there both curve (with the iron) and bend (using the hot air blower). One of many nice things is if I bend a plank too far I can just as easily unbend it. I do split or crack one now and again, but that’s my lack of patience, not the process.

PS: I'm sure I've said all this in other posts, it's just so fun to share.

1620672990_Post15-5893.jpg.7c2ebacb9466ec506598c46732fbee44.jpg

The nice thing about wood is generally when you screw up you can fix it. The upside down Winnie slipped (not on its own, so I guess I should say I pushed it) over its foam stand and broke one of the transom posts. Fortunately it was a clean break and a little splint surgery had it back where it belonged. Note to self, don’t do that.

1335919016_Post15-5904.jpg.a7e82440b2c37e823e179ba3dd9fbfe5.jpg

So with that and two weeks later the first band is complete. Here it is after a light sanding. I made need a bit of an adjustment at the bow, easily done with the next couple of planks

181658894_Post15-5912.jpg.d83a07a8eea7582a5eee2edfca15e867.jpg

1082312877_Post15-5917.jpg.0b852e6714f057a75e6b545acf1ef436.jpg

184880808_Post15-5919.jpg.ed395cb8174ec762773a6e5b8d912ce1.jpg

1253755693_Post15-5920.jpg.c691898829b6d320706d2922d719b5ef.jpg

And here’s a few after more sanding and a light coat of WOP.  I don’t want to sand it too much until its’ finished, but I like to get the rough spots out of the way. The first coat of WOP is soaked in like a paper towel soaks up water. I like to give the wood a little protection (from me mostly) and of course the fun of seeing how it looks. Smart money would be not to sand it at all until it’s complete but where’s the fun in that.

One band complete. That sounds great until I remember there are six total bands.  Back to work, more lumber to saw first. As always thank you for the likes and comments.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Looks really good. You’re plank terminations at the bow and the stern look really good too. I struggled with the ends where they meet the counter, it’s definitely not easy. 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

On 4/1/2022 at 4:54 PM, scrubbyj427 said:

with the ends where they meet the counter,

Thank you, we are definitely challenged by this wonderful model. It took me a minute to sort out the stern and then 3-4 times longer to get a fit than any other plank…fun stuff. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Lovely progress!!!

Thank you Chuck, I’m a poster boy for dry heat plank bending. I appreciate all your guidance and help. 

Regards,

Glenn

23 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

definitely a “Plank Master”.

Thanks, I’m a  ‘plankster’ at least. 

Regards,

Glenn

Gosh, Glenn, I can't imagine it gets any better than this...amazingly beautiful!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

14 hours ago, BobG said:

can't imagine it gets any better

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the comment. 

Regards,

Glenn

13 hours ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

that’s really nice,

Thank you Don. A lot of it is how good Alaskan Yellow Cedar turns out with the WOP. 

Regards,

Glenn

11 hours ago, KirbysLunchBox said:

Beautiful

Thank you. I appreciate the comment. 

7 hours ago, Theodosius said:

Phantastic

Thank you for saying so.

Regards,

Glenn

8 hours ago, FrankWouts said:

plank master

Thanks Frank, but  no more than you and the many Winnie builders.

Regards,

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

At this point I’ve planked at least two Cheerful’s yet only about a third done with Winnie. 
BB5A7029-42B3-4FC1-9E02-78D67CCC5A21.thumb.jpeg.24b62f6cc451b7158928293a027166d9.jpeg

Planks and planks and … planks. At some point I should clean up my ship room. 

Regards,

Glenn

With the exasperation of my previous post behind me...

Planking Continues

It’s been a while since my last post, but it’s not been due to a lack of effort. I have struggled a bit with the transition from the counter to the stern post on the starboard side as you’ll see below - and I get to do it again on the port side, anyway…

541372914_Post16-5932.jpg.2457a57c333593ae9e3ca025fe75ef45.jpg

I elected to continue starboard with the 2nd belt. There was a slight bend I wanted to correct, plus the counter to stern post was on my mind and I wanted to get past it. There is a lot of remakes and broken wood involved (by me when It doesn’t fit properly, stupid wood).

1659845625_Post16-5936.jpg.faa45ef1a65595d1e0251de5b32b57a6.jpg

Things started well enough as I climbed up towards the keel (working upside down).

193343619_Post16-5938.jpg.a1045605e6b5b44c4deb2ab9e5242c60.jpg

1455725756_Post16-5942.jpg.36ed856cda97fedf4e4c5e558c1ceaef.jpg

The bend to the transom was challenging but manageable. As always I used my travel iron and dry heat to achieve the necessary bend and as I moved to the stern post also a twist. The craft hot air tool I mentioned in an earlier post is helpful in achieving the twist although if I’m not careful I can scorch the wood, something I have never done with the iron.

1762529786_Post16-6.jpg.a8e9d2352ccad8942cf8fc2f2d1e0883.jpg

After I’d finished the second belt I decided I didn’t like the look and so I ripped it off…it would be three more attempts before I got past this point.

1507000213_Post16-6006.jpg.d99a236accf3d31d4ba3292c5431c52f.jpg

I still don’t know if I’m happy with it, I’ll wait until I get the the port side transition. The objective obviously is to have them match up, though practically once the ship is upright it and the fact generally we see our models from one side, and not zoomed to macro scale it becomes one of those obsessions I could do away with (he said knowing he wouldn’t).

2072431876_Post16-6010.jpg.3aaf6a8dd7a26487c746ba31b4d3bac1.jpg

1112301123_Post16-6012.jpg.088755026c63e0c2653282290c7d69dc.jpg

The bow is looking ok. Lessons learned (or re-learned) for the port side on how to avoid getting off track.  While I single planked Cheerful there is just so much more to Winnie as all of it’s builders know.

The top belt has two coats of WOP the bottom only one, it will even out when I do the final sanding and apply additional coats. Right now it’s more protective than finishing. That white plank at the top and the top of the port will be covered by the frieze later.

1833135155_Post16-6013.jpg.a35d8d1ceb2ee88cfe64c93eb6db4d19.jpg

817366935_Post16-6014.jpg.323b0411ed534ad9d13e67809444a5d4.jpg

The quarter shots continue to show the long graceful lines of this wonderfully designed model.

1205593737_Post16-6002.jpg.aece9f1328bb2d5334ad6f7b697ef62d.jpg

With the first two belts on the starboard side complete I now turn my attention to the many planks it requires to get to this same point on the port side. Maybe by the end of May I’ll get there. Once again I say how much I like the golden glow of the Alaskan Yellow Cedar.

Thank you all for your likes and especially the comments, they are inspiration and motivation.

Regards,

Glenn

I think you have this planking thing down.  You have really raised the bar..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Glenn your planking looks great! Very impressive work. I never thought I’d say it but I’m looking forward to my next model to up my planking game to your level. 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

I agree that is some fine planking. Well done Glenn!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

19 hours ago, Chuck said:

No need to redo it.   Keep going.

Thank you Chuck, something I have to keep telling myself.

Regards,

Glenn

18 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Insanely meticulous

Trying to avoid the insane part, but definitely some truth there. Thank you.

18 hours ago, Gregory said:

have this planking thing down.

Thank you, as we say, each plank a project, sometimes two or three projects. 

17 hours ago, rafine said:

Wonderful planking

Thanks Bob, I enjoy following your build and thinking someday mine will look like that.

15 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

my planking game to your level. 

Thank you for that, though I’ve got plenty of room to improve. Yours looks great,  enjoy following your progress

13 hours ago, Rustyj said:

some fine planking.

Thanks Rusty, I appreciate your saying so. 

Regards,

Glenn