MSW down in UK on 25 July 2022?

MSW was down for me in the UK - appx 10.30am - 4.30pm. Then it came back up for about 90 mins then down again, and has now resurfaced this morning at 10.15 am.  Below is the error message that popped up after 30 secs or so.

769525376_MSWdown25july22.jpg.5aea1d442bb9537c3c99f8934e89e339.jpg

The 'new posts' all have a date stamp of  '17 hours ago'.

It seems I lost a Post I made yesterday afternoon in the 90 min window, but no big deal.

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

Same here in Canada, was posting something when it happened thought I did it LOL 🤣,but glad we are back up.:cheers: .

Edited by Knocklouder

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

9 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

Same here in Canada, was posting something when it happened thought I did it LOL 🤣,but glad we are back up.:cheers: .

I don't have face book lol  and was wondering  😅 

Edited by Knocklouder

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

It's not an issue with MSW, per se, but with an assigned block of IP numbers that isn't specific to our server.

Our host is trying to get this sorted with the company that they use for this purpose, and it's taking time. The site may appear, then disappear. 

Unfortunately for MSW admin, we are powerless to do anything. We just have to wait for the issues between the two companies, to be resolved.

Got the same here in Indiana, immediately reminded of the great crash.  I hoped it was nothing more than a down server and nothing would be lost, looks like wish came true. 

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

7 minutes ago, Peanut6 said:

Got the same here in Indiana, immediately reminded of the great crash.  I hoped it was nothing more than a down server and nothing would be lost, looks like wish came true. 

Not similar in the slightest, thankfully. 2013 was a hardware failure. This problem isn't even related to our server, but a service which our host is provided with via a 3rd party, affecting some server cabinets. 

No data is involved.

As an aside, MSW has backups on separate drives to the one we primarily use. We were supposed to have had that in 2013, but our host failed to set it up. 

oh the great 2013 crash, well we are bigger and better nowadays, do we have a party next year to celebrate it, i might even finish a build by then

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Going cold turkey was tough. Many thanks to all the admin for seeing it through.

💎

clapping+hands.gif

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

4 hours ago, James H said:

Not similar in the slightest, thankfully. 2013 was a hardware failure. This problem isn't even related to our server, but a service which our host is provided with via a 3rd party, affecting some server cabinets. 

No data is involved.

As an aside, MSW has backups on separate drives to the one we primarily use. We were supposed to have had that in 2013, but our host failed to set it up. 

Phew! This is the stuff of nightmares, for everyone on the forum. I can’t imagine what a few terabytes of lost data would mean to our community. ‘Bravo” to the crew who sorted this out over the past 24. 

“You don’t know what you’ve got, till it’s gone.” - Joni Mitchell/Big Yellow Taxi, Ladies of the Canyon, 1974

Edited by hollowneck
Date correction

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I also had flashbacks to the big crash of 2013. Luckily this is not the case and cudo's to the admins! 👍

I was also hurt by this crash (which seems to be a long, long time ago ...) and henceforth drafted my building logs in MS Word first, to be copied and pasted into the Forum. In this way I have a record of my respective contributions. However, I do not keep such records on comments I make in other threads.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Out of simple curiosity, is there another way to notify the MSW membership of an outage outside of Facebook?

I’m sure there are more than a few members (myself included) that want nothing to do with that site.

Can another method be setup? (“Sign up here to receive email notifications”?). Rather than pestering the hard working admins with countless messages asking the same question.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

26 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Out of simple curiosity, is there another way to notify the MSW membership of an outage outside of Facebook?

I’m sure there are more than a few members (myself included) that want nothing to do with that site.

Can another method be setup? (“Sign up here to receive email notifications”?). Rather than pestering the hard working admins with countless messages asking the same question.

Andy

The NRG (our forum’s parent) notified their members when MSW went down.

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Andy, you're not the only one who doesn't use Facebook.   Yesterday (and other times things didn't go right), I just check every few hours.  Usually, the downtimes are minimal but yesterday wasn't normal, IMO.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, hollowneck said:

The NRG (our forum’s parent) notified their members when MSW went down.

Well, that’s a double whammy for me. For primarily financial reasons, I’m not an NRG member either. Would like to some day, but right now, can’t.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I also received a "The connection to modelshipworld.com is not secure You are seeing this warning because this site does not support HTTPS." message in my Chrome browser when I just logged onto the site (1524 MST 7/26/2022). So there are still some issues to take care of.

11 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Andy

MSW's email server is tied into MSW. When MSW went down, then no one can send or receive mail via the site. 

8 hours ago, Robp1025 said:

Could you not migrate the dns to be cloud based with some fail safes in EU and USA so the site doesn't go down but just has higher latency??? Sorry IT nerd here and AWS system admin 😅😅😅

A higher latency is really not what we want. We've had higher latency before, and it just frustrates folk.

We are actually using a cloud proxy, as you've seen, so there's a bulwark between the site and the outside world. We've also used globally distributed DNS providers before, with minimal success. To be fair, our downtime is so rare (and our connection speed so good), that implementing other things really isn't worth it. If you count the site downtime since 2013 (and even before), you'd see we're pretty good.

9 hours ago, James H said:

A higher latency is really not what we want. We've had higher latency before, and it just frustrates folk.

Yep. I, for one, would not like higher latency; "tech talk" for the "go slows." No, Thanks.

One of the reasons (IMHO) that MSW is so popular is that it is extremely fast - partly owing to a minimum of ads (and rollover nonsense). The small banner ads from our sponsors take only a miniscule amount of data. The ability of members to post large graphics files (build logs, gallery, etc.) is key; the email server on the forum is nice icing on our tasty cake.

Going without our FREE forum for such a short period of time is a good reminder of its value.

Ron

36 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

I am more than happy  to rely on James, for all things MSW computer, and many things modelling.

Here, here. A shout out for James. Bravo! B.E.

Ron

11 hours ago, James H said:

We are actually using a cloud proxy, as you've seen, so there's a bulwark between the site and the outside world. We've also used globally distributed DNS providers before, with minimal success. To be fair, our downtime is so rare (and our connection speed so good), that implementing other things really isn't worth it. If you count the site downtime since 2013 (and even before), you'd see we're pretty good.

I tip my hat top this well-run and reliable forum.  Indeed, down time is rare ... and most of have either builds to work on or books to read on those rare occasions.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65