4 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

What I've been waiting for, thank you Chris.

Presumably there is more work to do on the figures before they go into production?

B.E.

Yes, these are the very first renders, to see if I am happy with them. I am, but there will need to be small changes based on the best way to produce them.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Agree, the coat tails look long for practical wear, especially on the standing figure.
I'd question the standing figure's coat lacking a vent or split from the waist down; that may make sitting down difficult (though ladies skirts seem to work well enough).

Digging around, I found this page of a (modern interpretation) of 19c uniforms of interest.  At the bottom of the page are images of a dress coat (with lace) and an undress coat (no lace) flanking a modern copy http://www.goblinrevolution.org/costumes/navy/.

Note, all three coats have horizontal pockets, missing on both the preview figures, together with a vent.

This wiki page may also be of interest:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy_ranks,_rates,_and_uniforms_of_the_18th_and_19th_centuries
The portrait of Sir Edward Pellew at the top of the page shows pockets on his coat tails.
If you scroll down the page, there is an illustration of 1795-1812 uniforms (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Navy_ranks,_rates,_and_uniforms_of_the_18th_and_19th_centuries#1795–1812), with different ways of wearing epaulettes depending on rank; for example, commanders and captains with less than three years seniority wore only one epaulette, while lieutenants had none.

Going back to the figures in this post; based on his cuffs, the standing figure would be either a mid-shipman or a lieutenant, and shouldn't wear epaulettes.

Chris

I'm so pleased that you've gone ahead to commission some new figures in appropriate poses to go in the cabin.  The responses above about uniform accuracy etc show how highly we are interested in this.

I've said before that your figures are the best available, certainly at 1/64, so the more you are able to extend your range, the more popular they will be!

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

I gave my carver more pictures of the uniforms, and asked to change some aspects.

As for me, I am doing the Harpy plans in CAD, which will take perhaps another 6 weeks (I find this aspect a slog, probably because I am now so used to the drill and know the very long hours involved...). All cut files are now done (21 separate laser cut sheets), with part numbers added to each part, and will send a set to Jim soon, so he can start his build log. Amati are in the process of doing the sample PE for Harpy for me (3 frets in 0.2, 0.4 and 0.6mm), so I shall have that in the next 2-3 weeks, I hope. I think this one will be a breeze after Indy...

logo.jpg

1 minute ago, Blue Ensign said:

A big improvement Chris, the standing figure looks just like Rupert Penry-Jones.

Is the sitting figure  separate to the table/chair, and scaled to fit your existing furniture designs?

B.E.

Cheers :)

We need to figure the best way to print them, to minimise breakages when in transit. The sitting figure may have the bottom half attached to the chair.

logo.jpg

Neat looking figures! My only observation, as a somewhat experienced seafarer, that doesn’t look to be a particularly tenable position for the telescope. It wouldn’t take much of a roll to have it leave the table and land with a crash… 

Perhaps a set of dividers, or other navigational instruments might be safer!

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

2 minutes ago, Blue Ensign said:

The reason I asked is because  I was thinking about retro fitting to my existing 'Indy' model.

B.E.

I commissioned the whole scene to avoid any ambiguity relating to how the figures would fit in with other parts. If they are done all together, I know they will work with all the parts supplied.

logo.jpg

57 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

that doesn’t look to be a particularly tenable position for the telescope. It wouldn’t take much of a roll to have it leave the table and land with a crash… 

Excellent observation.  The figures are awesome, but the telescope would not be sitting like that (at least not for long).

I now have machined block sets back in stock for Indefatigable. They are walnut and look very nice indeed, but do cost me more than the machined pearwood blocks I got from Russia, so are a little more expensive.

HMS Indefatigable CNC Machined Walnut Block Set – VANGUARD MODELS

I will order sets for the other kits in time.

logo.jpg