Thank you for saying.  Its just too much to continue making them by hand out of real boxwood.  This is also much less expensive for you guys and offers more possibilities.  For example...clue blocks are now in stock with more sizes tomorrow.

Its almost impossible to make these any other way which is why you just dont see them available.  

clueblocks.jpg

Yes i do plan on a darker color.  But first…like you said,  there are so many types of blocks to get through first.

Shoe blocks…sister blocks…jeer blocks…ugh.  These will take a little bit.  Once done…i will start all over in a darker color.  

I'm super stoked with the new deadeyes and sister blocks Chuck. They're beautifully proportioned and the details are much finer than the wood versions. I used the wipe on Poly satin finish and they look just like boxwood. Can't wait to see the other blocks as they are developed.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

On 7/25/2024 at 10:57 PM, Chuck said:

Thank You...

And by the way guys.   These 3D printed blocks are pre-dyed and with a matte finish raw when you get them.   They are great right out of the bag.   BUT...if you really want to make them pop...and give them an even richer color and real wood finish/appearance...apply a coat of Minwax wipe-on-poly or sanding sealer.   You will truly be amazed at how incredible they look.  Use a satin finish or Matte finish.   That is the real secret!!!  Shhh!!!  don't tell anyone.

Treat them like wood and you will be a believer and convert.

blocktest.jpg

As I make each batch of these I apply some WOP to a small number of them and put them in these clear plastic bags.  I then toss them on the model and do this as my QC color/texture test to see how well they look like wood and if I can even tell the difference.   You guys can be the judge....try it.

These blocks look fantastic! Can’t believe these are 3D printed, just amazing…I’ll have to order some to experiment with sealer or stain.

Peter

Thanks...

Taking a break from the blocks...but not for too long.  I am not sure if the resin will be strong enough but it was worth a test.   They are absolutely fine for me but I know how some folks really pull their rigging tight.  Too tight.   They are about as strong as boxwood however...but of course not as strong as brass.

But they look fantastic.  Properly proportioned and sized.   These are 3/8" long or 18" at 1/4" scale.  Which is properly scaled.

belaying pins.jpg

Still on a short break from blocks.  But I will be back on them this weekend if all goes to plan.  This week I am working on a side project while also helping my son move out to his new place.   I am officially an "empty-nester" now.   So nice although I hear they always come back for one reason or another.

Anyway,  this project involves learning to make some cannon with the 3d printer.  Not difficult by any stretch but there is still a learning curve.  How to set the supports and what angles for the cannon are best for the optimal surface quality etc.   So after many tests using a wide variety of resins and mixing colors...I have settled on how I will proceed.  So all in all a very worthwhile several days as I will be making cannon available that I will be making in house.  These tests are of a French style cannon after Boudriot.  I am quite sure folks will eventually have a need for these as well as the typical English Fredrick and Armstrong cannon as well.   

Here are the results...for color and texture.   These are 2.15" long and 12 pounders at 1:48 scale and a larger caliber.

French Boudriot Cannon 1.jpg

French Boudriot Cannon.jpg

Earlier test with capsquare which seemed like a good idea but they are just too thin and prone to breakage among other things.  So these will be printed separately.  Experiments are fun!!!  But you can see the quality and surface ultimately achieved along with the scale difference on my Speedwell.  They are a little difficult to photograph but they are not pitch black and a stark black but a very dark gray/black.

IMG_8099.JPG

cannon test.jpg

Closed hearts now in stock.

closedhearts.jpg

Sister blocks also starting to appear in my store.   When I list them as 3/16" sister block it means there are two 3/16" single blocks in this sister block.   I will be making all of the usual sizes.  Two 3/32" single block sisters etc.

sister blocks.jpg

Those guns look wonderful Chuck! Plans to do a 24 pdr? Amazing what printers can do. What printer are you using? Anycubic?

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Yes I plan on making guns of all sizes.  I just have to get through these blocks first.   I am using an Elegoo Saturn 3 Ultra

Chuck

Eventually yes...but life has a funny way of taking turns.   Work will be continuous of course but on what all depends on what is going on.  For example...I have the Hudson River sloop to get done first as it will be for a museum on the Hudson River.  But Speedwell must be finished first and of course....and turning to 3D printing because making from wood by hand or CNC is too time consuming and expensive these days.  Things just seem to come up and change the schedule.

Chuck

Well, these are exciting!

Since these are 3d printed would special sizes be available as a custom order? Just curious.

I find myself drawn towards 1/72 and 1/100 scale and most commercial accessory offerings are a bit over scaled for that.

Maybe but if too small it would be impossible to keep the sheave holes clear of resin.  So I doubt these could be printed as small as some folks can imagine.  So its not possible at really small sizes.

chuck

'Been thinking about the difficulties of stropping (and using) smaller blocks at 1:96 scale - still popular, especially with some classic kits - and also at 1:124 - and there are many old wood kits and still some contemporary wood kits made at 1:124, or thereabouts.  Not that it can't be done, as those having high dexterity and skill have made amazing models at even smaller scales.  But the 'rest of us' generally go at least a little out-of-scale on some items, and blocks/deadeyes are among them.  Yet, as the scale of a model becomes larger (e.g., there are many fine kits made at around 1:72), the need to enlarge certain components relaxes somewhat.

This suggests to me some sort of 'sliding scale' (a pharmacy term) whereby the percentage of enlargement is rationally increased for smaller kits, and decreases as the scale gets larger - where its easier to handle the fiddly bits.  I note also that blocks from a wide variety of sources tend to come in 'even' millimeter sizes, although there are some half-sizes available, e.g. 2.5mm (and a couple others).  In a Bluenose 2 by Travis (underway), he notes that in certain scales, larger blocks simply 'look better' to the observer, and I agree with him.  Model building is an art, so some artistic license comes in handy.

To make a long story short, I've drawn up a matrix (for me, at least) showing a few block or deadeye sizes (full size in inches), the size they'd be at various scales if they were 'true to scale', and modified sizes to help old modelers (like me) where the percentage of enlargement is reduced as the scale gets larger - until "par value" is reached.  There has been slight rounding of values as needed.  It can be a little confusing to read (lines help), so a second summary appears below the first as a suggestion for block or deadeye selection on a sliding scale.

image.jpeg.98b0d147cd8c50658da51ea8f1ad6119.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.559dfcfb5340d6ed937d0b673d038cfa.jpeg

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

OH BROTHER!!!  Those sister blocks look awesome, Chuck!  Can't wait to get to my next build and stock up with a bunch of these blocks you have now! 👍🏆

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

On 8/11/2024 at 3:53 AM, Chuck said:

Maybe but if too small it would be impossible to keep the sheave holes clear of resin.  So I doubt these could be printed as small as some folks can imagine.  So its not possible at really small sizes.

chuck

Hmm.   Could those be done with sheave holes just dimpled and they buy would have drill them out?    Just randomly thinking out loud.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That would be insane.   You dont realize just how small they are.   I doubt that would work.  Far easier to to use other methods I think.  

Chuck

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

That would be insane.   You dont realize just how small they are.   I doubt that would work.  Far easier to to use other methods I think.  

Chuck

Valid points.   I forgot that it's one thing to do some for one model and another to mass produce a bazillion of them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I am all done with the different blocks and am fully stocked.  So I am now going back and trying to make the tiny stuff that a lot of folks need.   These are tricky and to make make them correctly proportioned and looking real even tougher.

Anyway these are true 2mm single blocks.   I measured my old wooden 2mm blocks and they were probably 2.2mm long.   The stuff from Coastline and Dry-duck are even larger.   These should be available really soon. Probably today.   Doubles and triples to follow.  Now can I make them even smaller?  I really dont know.  But I am willing to try for those who like to build the small models.  Take out a peny and look at how big the date is.  That is how small these blocks are.  The holes are clear and the details crisp.  Now how do you strop and rig them.  Thats up to you small scale model builders to figure out.  Just use the correct scale rope.  Tiny stuff.  Fly tie stuff for sure.  

Chuck

2mm single blocks.jpg

oooh... that's exciting!  Thank you for going the extra mile. Now I'll have to go through my stash and see what I need to stock up on.

47 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I am all done with the different blocks and am fully stocked.  So I am now going back and trying to make the tiny stuff that a lot of folks need.   These are tricky and to make make them correctly proportioned and looking real even tougher.

Anyway these are true 2mm single blocks.   I measured my old wooden 2mm blocks and they were probably 2.2mm long.   The stuff from Coastline and Dry-duck are even larger.   These should be available really soon. Probably today.   Doubles and triples to follow.  Now can I make them even smaller?  I really dont know.  But I am willing to try for those who like to build the small models.  Take out a peny and look at how big the date is.  That is how small these blocks are.  The holes are clear and the details crisp.  Now how do you strop and rig them.  Thats up to you small scale model builders to figure out.  Just use the correct scale rope.  Tiny stuff.  Fly tie stuff for sure.  

Chuck

2mm single blocks.jpg

How small do we really need them? I am really surprised by the outcome of resin printing.

I know resin printing can do really nice detailing. But this is amazing.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I agree with you.  But 2mm blocks like these sell like crazy.  I dont get it but then again I model at a larger scale.   Smaller will be tough.  I may call it a win and stop at 2mm becuse they are a pain to make actually.   If one drops off the supports and in the VAT of the printer I have to break down the machine and clean it all.   That happens a lot with these tiny pieces because you cant use heavy or many supports.  That would ruin the look of the blocks.  So I may just say 2mm is small enough but you know me.  I may just try it once to see if I can do it.

It is truly amazing though.   Even with a macro photos you cant see any layer lines or that rough surface you guys are probably familiar with.   Even made out of wood and cnc they look kind of rough at this size.  But these look pretty pristine if you can rig them.

2mm double blocks.jpg

Well, guess that answers the age-old questions "How many blocks can dance on the face of a penny?".... Oh, wait, that was angels on the head of a pin... Never mind!

Looking great, Chuck!  I had some 3/32" blocks needed for my Bluenose, which translates to 2.32mm, so close!  And those things were itty-bitty.  Yeah, I lost a few on the floor!

Will definitely take inventory of what I need for the ships in boxes waiting up on the shelf.  These look awesome, sir! 🏆🏆

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways