Vincent Black Shadow by CDW - Revell - 1:12 Scale

Oooh. *drool* I don't care if they have a reputation of being even more uncomfortable than a knucklehead, I have always wanted one of these. This is about a Black Lightning, not a Black Shadow, but still - Nortons and Indians and Greavses won't do. They don't have a Soul like a Vincent '52.

Edited by VitusBering

You may already be aware of this video but there is a great animation of the assembly of this model here.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

Looking forward to another of your builds.

Originally this was a 'Matchbox' kit, which I abandoned in the 80's due to the brittle nature of the plastic, especially the numerous finer parts.

My pal has a Shadow and a Norvin.

I can vouch for how uncomfortable it is to ride pillion on the Shadow, The geometry of the seat structure means the passenger is pummeled by its rigid nature.

Perhaps more of this later.

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

So Craig, are you postponing the building of the Pocher Alfa Romeo, in favor of the Revell kit?

Yves

I'm still collecting parts for the Alfa Romeo right now. The Black Shadow and other smaller projects like it will be done in between sessions with the Alfa Romeo. Got a feeling it's going to be a long project to finish that big model.

On 6/5/2023 at 4:46 AM, shipman said:

Originally this was a 'Matchbox' kit, 

Never knew about the Matchbox kit. How long ago was it released? I've been looking at the 1:9 Model Factory Hiro Vincent, but I want to see one up close and personal before I shell out $600 plus for a copy. The MFH '47 Knucklehead is very interesting too with an equally high price tag.

Edited by CDW

oh cool, love to see some pics of her

Trying not to be that guy that post pics of all his work to steal others thunder

I made a Black Shadow into a Café Racer 

If you wanna see, you can read my build thread on my other non ship Forum home here:

https://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28658

Scott 

Current Build:
1/72 Zvezda The Black Pearl 

25 minutes ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

Trying not to be that guy that post pics of all his work to steal others thunder

If you wanna see, you can read my build thread on my other non ship Forum home here:

Thanks for the link. Will go there and check it out.

33 minutes ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

Nice little details, especially the wheels.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Never knew about the Matchbox kit. How long ago was it released? I've been looking at the 1:9 Model Factory Hiro Vincent, but I want to see one up close and personal before I shell out $600 plus for a copy. The MFH '47 Knucklehead is very interesting too with an equally high price tag.

I bought my Matchbox Vincent mid 80's, though I think it had been around a while by then.

Can't believe the asking price for these Revel kits on ebay, bearing in mind they could re-issue at the drop of a hat.

39 minutes ago, shipman said:

I bought my Matchbox Vincent mid 80's, though I think it had been around a while by then.

Can't believe the asking price for these Revel kits on ebay, bearing in mind they could re-issue at the drop of a hat.

I bought mine when they were a current release, it's been a while. probably around 35 to 40 dollars at the time. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started by stripping the plating from the chrome tree, then started removing the thick out of scale spokes in order to replace them with micro thin stainless steel wire using micro aluminum tubing as the spoke nipples. Each wheel half carries 20 spokes for a total of 40 spokes per wheel. I have never used this particular method to replace the plastic spokes but after seeing others do it decided to give it a try. Those thick plastic spokes really put me off.

DSCN3351.JPG

DSCN3352.JPG

IMG_5506.jpg

Wow, what an improvement, Craig. The metal spokes will look great. Are you going to use metallic paints for the new chrome?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, Canute said:

Wow, what an improvement, Craig. The metal spokes will look great. Are you going to use metallic paints for the new chrome?

After the spokes are assembled, will paint the wheels in a metallic silver to simulate polished metal. Probably will use Mr Color Super Silver as it's got very fine silver pigments and looks convincing. Will need to first do a black undercoat as the super silver responds well to that.

650_WD25978708.jpg.be6bdfec2769e88e079574ace22f2973.jpgVincent's, being the last of the true quality British motorcycles retained the feature of the center of the rims painted black with a thin red pinstripe each side.

There's a challenge for you.

And there aren't 3 tyre valves, only one! The other two are internal clamps to stop the tyre creeping, which does rip the valve out!

Edited by shipman

Those wheels are going to look 100x better when you're done.  Nice job Craig.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

5 hours ago, shipman said:

A little tip...

real wheels, alternate spokes thread through the hub flange from alternate sides so the spokes aren't directly in contact where they cross.

Thanks for the heads up on that.

25 minutes ago, Twokidsnosleep said:

The black shadow spoke pattern from the gorgeous MFH kit

Shows the over under pattern well

59178063_10157407597184548_1601884825583616000_n.jpg.c900bce7d7bc60d86a025952dda63af2.jpg

That's the most helpful diagram I have seen for the spoke pattern. Thanks! I've got the opportunity to sort mine out at this juncture. Later on, not as much. I knew there was something I was missing, but this shows me everything. 

If I was going to shell out the money for a MFH kit, I would be hard pressed to decide which one. A 1:12 '58 Ferrari Testarossa is one of the most tempting. 

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Thanks for the heads up on that.

That's the most helpful diagram I have seen for the spoke pattern. Thanks! I've got the opportunity to sort mine out at this juncture. Later on, not as much. I knew there was something I was missing, but this shows me everything. 

If I was going to shell out the money for a MFH kit, I would be hard pressed to decide which one. A 1:12 '58 Ferrari Testarossa is one of the most tempting. 

You are very welcome, It totally helped me too

As  for MFH kits:  Brough Superior, Black Shadow and maybe a Cobra car….all pipe dreams and there are so many others 

Maybe sell of the big stash and use the money for those?? 🤔

Scott 

Current Build:
1/72 Zvezda The Black Pearl 

1 hour ago, CDW said:

I’m wondering how to handle my need for decals/lettering. Decal sheet is kaput. Gold metallic colors. Not printer friendly.

They haven't yellowed yet so that is excellent, but it does look like the adhesive holding them to the paper has gone south...

msi117.jpg.0b5b07feb7a0a524eb06ba2ead63bef8.jpg

Micro Liquid Decal Film 1oz from microscale... I've used it on some old decals where the glue got to the point of attaching the decal to the backing permanently.... (it takes three times longer to soak them off, usually they fracture into a million pieces) It worked on most of them....

My first suggestion is take a close up photo of the sheet to use as artwork in case you have to have them printed by a decal print shop... (there are several good ones on the net)

Then, try the decal film on them and see if it works, the film holds the decal together so it doesn't fracture when going thru the slower process of applying....

Above all go slow and use patience, they probably can be recovered...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

They haven't yellowed yet so that is excellent, but it does look like the adhesive holding them to the paper has gone south...

msi117.jpg.0b5b07feb7a0a524eb06ba2ead63bef8.jpg

Micro Liquid Decal Film 1oz from microscale... I've used it on some old decals where the glue got to the point of attaching the decal to the backing permanently.... (it takes three times longer to soak them off, usually they fracture into a million pieces) It worked on most of them....

My first suggestion is take a close up photo of the sheet to use as artwork in case you have to have them printed by a decal print shop... (there are several good ones on the net)

Then, try the decal film on them and see if it works, the film holds the decal together so it doesn't fracture when going thru the slower process of applying....

Above all go slow and use patience, they probably can be recovered...

I agree with your assessment. I will do just that but hold little/no hope for a Microscale Decal Film resurrection from the dead. My batting average with this is near-zero once the decals have reached the state this sheet is in. The glue/adhesive is dead underneath the film. 

I'm also going to give my daughter a crack at making a stencil for me with her Cricut machine. Not sure it can handle lettering this small though, but she thinks it can. We shall see.

In the meantime, I wrote Revell Germany on the off chance I may be able to acquire a replacement from them. Over 20 years old, I kinda doubt it but it's worth a try.