New Occre Release 2-18-2024

Ogontz

Greetings to all! 

Has anyone else received an email from Occre announcing their new model ship release on Feb 18? The email claims that it's a  "legendary" ship that's been known by many names. 

I'm quite suprised that Occre would release something new after the high end offering of HMS Victory mere months ago. Occre seems very aggressive in releasing new items to the public which is certainly fine with me. Anyone with an opinion as to what it might be?

I'm wondering of this might be HMS Britannia launched in 1762.

She was renamed HMS Princess Royal in 1812. Then remamed HMS St George later in 1812. Then renamed again in 1819 as the HMS Barfleur.

She also participated in the battles of Cape Spartel, Genoa, Cape St Vincent and the battle of Trafalgar. 

I like the way in which Occre presents these new releases - they make you think!

No website updates... and it's past their 7:00 CEST announcement time... <shrug> 

EDIT:  But just got an email from Model Expo... pre-order for OcCre's San Felipe 1/86.  OcCre still hasn't updated their own website.

2nd Edit: OcCre's website now updated.  Looks like a nice kit! 👍

Edited by GGibson

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

56 minutes ago, Darius359au said:

Just looked at the model on Occre's site ,not sure if it's just a prototype issue and someone wasn't paying attention but there's guns directly behind deadeye's and their lanyards.

The price seems favorable and I really hope it turns out to sell well for them, but there looks to be a number of other inaccurate things including the size and number of rudder hinges, the gun patterns, belaying pins, which were not used in that time period, missing wooden bands above and below the rope wooldings, gratings with huge openings that would break an ankle in a heart beat and more.  I wonder why they chose to add another version of San Felipe rather than something different that has not be put out in kit form up to now.   

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Am I being unkind that it looks rather like the ones that go past on Facebook Reels being built for tourists in Vietnam?

Simon.

Current build HM Cutter Trial - Vanguard Models

Previous: Saucy Jack - Vanguard Models Polaris - OcCre

In the stash:

HMS Speedy v2023 - Vanguard Models

Nisha - Vanguard Models

HM Gun Brig Adder - Vanguard Models

Hello James H,

I rather liked this new Occre release bc of the balcony style stern galleries - we don't seem to see this very often these days. But now having seen your Panart work of art, I'm inclined to rescind my approval of Occre's rendition. 

I think we've officially crossed over into a time that unless we're willing to pay close to or above $1000, the kits that we plebians can afford will be of diminishing quality in both design and materials. 

38 minutes ago, Ogontz said:

Hello James H,

I rather liked this new Occre release bc of the balcony style stern galleries - we don't seem to see this very often these days. But now having seen your Panart work of art, I'm inclined to rescind my approval of Occre's rendition. 

I think we've officially crossed over into a time that unless we're willing to pay close to or above $1000, the kits that we plebians can afford will be of diminishing quality in both design and materials. 

Large 3-decker kits have always been around the $1000 price, at the very least, because they are large 3 deckers. Anything much cheaper will have compromises.

I saved up for months back in the early '90's for the Sergal Sovereign of the Seas, (back then, it was very normal to save up for what you wanted) it cost me £550. Taking into account inflation since then, that comes to around £1150 today.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

51 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I saved up for months back in the early '90's for the Sergal Sovereign of the Seas, (back then, it was very normal to save up for what you wanted) it cost me £550. Taking into account inflation since then, that comes to around £1150 today.

I bought my Panart kit in Lido di Jesolo in 2002/3 for the equivalent of £350. The kit at the time was nearer £450 in the UK, so it was a bit of a bargain. I only needed 2 or 3 hotel towels and bin bags to wrap it in for the flight back 😆

The kit today is £740.

1 hour ago, Ogontz said:

There never has been a time when a good kit (not been in boats long but done plenty of other sorts) has been cheap. Cheap kits are exactly that.

Simon.

Current build HM Cutter Trial - Vanguard Models

Previous: Saucy Jack - Vanguard Models Polaris - OcCre

In the stash:

HMS Speedy v2023 - Vanguard Models

Nisha - Vanguard Models

HM Gun Brig Adder - Vanguard Models

I don't like to speak ill of any legitimate kit manufacturer, because I truly do appreciate the service they provide for modelers who can't scratch build or who otherwise just decide not to. But in this case I'm left wondering: Why? Why bring a kit to market that is neither a novel subject nor an improvement on an existing kit from a competitor? It makes little sense to me. Following on the heels of their equally unmoving Victory kit, this feels like two swings and two misses from the OcCre design department. But I'll leave it to the market to decide the fate of this new offering.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Why bring a kit to market that is neither a novel subject nor an improvement on an existing kit from a competitor?

Well said Chris!

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I have the panart kit also. Picked it up for $350 US dollars some years ago. The stern alone is far superior to the Occre offering.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

It's definitely the same kit that was out a good few years ago, sold as a magazine part-work by DeAgostini.

Not exactly a 'new' release either. It's around 130mm shorter than the Panart kit, so that might be attractive to those who can't house the 960mm Panart kit, but there also appears to be quite a few trade offs too. Panart's kit layout is generally excellent, with things that appear to be in proportion to the vessel, and in positions that appear to be practical. I do know there have been some changes to Panart's kit in the past years, some for the better and some for the worse. Here's what I see with the OcCre kit.

• There is rig directly in front of gun openings.
  • Clunky, oversized grates.
  • Some cannon sit right in front of those oversize grates, so no chance for the recoil roll after firing.
  • Unrealistic antiqued metal hinged port lids that were commonplace on kits from 30 - 40yrs ago.
  • Strangely proportioned stern where the decor looks odd.
  • Out of scale deck planking.
  • Strange shaped metal cast boats with bizarrely wide gunwales, and thwarts that are sat way too high in hull, directly under those gunwales.
  • That thin veneer style planking used on the external layer, as opposed to actual planks.
  • etc. etc.

I know that many will get some real pleasure out of the new OcCre kit, and I wish them all the best with it, but overall, the kit seems to already look like of of the most aged legacy kits, in a time where we can do so much more. The price probably reflects the overall standard of materials and parts supplied....possibly.

It's rare that I'll pass comment on a new release like this, without actually seeing the kit at first hand, but as I knew the Panart kit so well, I felt compelled to reply. 

OcCre:

Screenshot-2024-02-20-at-08.00.31.jpg

Screenshot-2024-02-20-at-07.59.36.jpg

Panart:

Screenshot-2024-02-20-at-07.52.48.jpg

From what I understand the San Felipe of 1690 did not actually exist.  

Why not release a kit of a Spanish 3-decker from that time period that actually existed?

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

15 hours ago, Chapman said:

Why not build another Spanish three-decker like that, based on better sources and a modern reconstruction? 

Because developing a totally new kit is very costly?

Put a bunch of old parts in a new box and see who bites..  You might make enough money to develop a new kit.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I see from picture #2 in post #25 - the idiosyncratic, bizarre, and distracting deck plank pattern - so often seen in OcCre product build logs:

alternating butts on the same beam, stark contrast - highway width caulking,  teacup diameter trunnels only at a butt joint -  is not a misunderstanding on the part of beginning modelers?

It is something that OcCre itself propagates!

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers