HMS Montague 1779 bygaryshipwright - 74-gun Alfred-class

Gd to see your new potings, Gary. Great work as usual.

Ed

Gary: Its been a while (I know.. long time, no hear) since I have posted but I have to let you know that I have been followed your steady progress. The work you are doing is amazing -especially the recent work on the stern. Keep at it... your Alfred is just getting better and better.

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Beautiful work as has been said already, it is wonderful to follow your progress.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 1 month later...

Hi Remco. Thank you very much sir. Am glad you like the cannons sir and seems that your statement is just a little modest but I do thank you. Here are some more photo's of the gun deck with a few more details. Am not sure if I will leave the curve planking which is due to the curve of were the back of the cannon truck's land. May just plank one side for cannon's and leave the other side alone. Reason is that I just don't want to cover all of the detail up and am sort of stuck on the do I want to or not decision. :mellow: Gary

post-264-0-73944900-1385422764_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-00840900-1385422867_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-09240800-1385422912_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-79767500-1385423029_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-07527900-1385423124_thumb.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Very nice detail work Gary (as usual :) )

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Gary,

I just had a chance to catch up with your build. It is looking great! I have also been wondering how to mount guns on an unplanked deck; it is interesting to see your idea. I was thinking about little pieces of plank directly under each gun carriage truck, small enough to lift it to the right height. But it might look funny especially when the truck is not directly over a beam, carling or ledge. I look forward to seeing what you finally decide.

Best wishes,

Mark

Looks, geat, Gary.  Glad to see you posting again.

Ed

Perhaps install just a small section of deck and a few guns on one side, rather than all the armament? Then the deck structure will remain visible. However, it's your model - and a magnificent one, either way.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

May just plank one side for cannon's and leave the other side alone. Reason is that I just don't want to cover all of the detail up   :mellow: Gary

Gary I like your reason.

It is always sad to do some joinery and cover it.

To leave some unfinihed parts is sometimes the only way to show how it is built.

Gary,

You Gaetan, Karl and Remco are always an inspiration for me and not to forget Ed. Your work as well as theres is always what I think everyone here would like to be able to do. You have seem to always show what can be done if one puts his or her mind to it. I Thank you for the log which I have been following since MSW1. Keep the log and the pictures coming. Thank you.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Merry Christmas and a happy new year every one.

Thanks to every one with their kind words. It seems that I have a small up date on Montagu gun deck. I took off the planking I installed the first time, or was it the second time but instead of installing just enough for the gun's, ran it all the way over to the hatch ways and left one side unplanked. The deck planking is silver maple and boy is it white and every thing has been pegged but have not done any kind of stain on it. Thinking about toning it down but not sure of the how or with what so if you have any ideal's please let me know. Have been expermenting but not happy with what am coming up with yet. Do know that Frolick used maplewood on his deck of his  La Belle Poule, and looks real nice. Seems it is a honey oak color and doesn't blind you when you look at it, but havn't found out what type of maple and if you know what type maple and  stain please let me know. The cannons are just sitting on the deck till other items get done and will be reloacted to a safer place once I start working on them again. Any way folks Merry Christmas and may you get that tool or kit that you been wanting for the past year.

Gary

post-264-0-67836500-1424493776_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-47171900-1424493795_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-98515500-1424493808_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-82044200-1424493823_thumb.jpg

post-264-0-24391800-1424493837_thumb.jpg

Edited by garyshipwright

Merry Christmas and beautifully done, Gary. I'm sure that the maple will 'settle down' visually as the air oxidizes the surface over time. Fresh cut wood always seems so bright. Look at the fresh cut surface of any wood and compare it to the outer side that was sitting in the shop to get the comparison.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Merry Christmas to you too Gary.  My best Christmas present so far - seeing an update to your wonderful Alfred! :)  I agree with Druxey on the deck colour - let it settle for a while and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it.

Merry Christmas, Greg. Your beautyful pictures are a wonderful gift.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Merry Christmas, Gary. I think the deck looks great. I am sure those decks were pretty white after holystoning everyday with salt water.

Ed

Merry Christmas Gary, beautiful work on the deck, as already mentioned I would let the maple oxidize for a while before applying any finish.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Gary,

Thanks for the update, she really is a beautiful piece of work.  And I do like the idea of planking half the deck and being done with it at that point.   

Have a terrific New Years!!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Awesome Gary, I second or third the idea of leaving that planking a while, it will darken in time just like holly does I'm sure.

Can't wait to see more of your beautiful work.

Ben