Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

This is fun.  It has it's frustration moments to be sure, but when those get solved, it's even more fun. And then there's those moments... when I sit back with a cup of fresh coffee and realize "holy crap... I did that!".

This is one of the best parts of the hobby in my opinion!

Looking Good Sir, lookin good!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly trucking right along.... fore cant frames are in and need fairing.  A lot of fairing but that's what I planned.  I'm working on cutting out and fitting the hawse timbers as this is being written.

Much research still going in in the background.  Probably more research than work right now...  :(   I fully believe that Mr. Delacroix is spot on about using the Belle Poule monograph for details and rigging which is not what Hahn used.  Hahn used Le Venus which is too late in the period and things were done differently in the planking, rigging, and details area.  Le Renommee is too early with the wales, quarter galleries and stern areas as well some minor details.

I fully suspect that Licorne was built originally along the lines of Le Renommee per the bow, stern, wales and gallery drawings I've seen but that there was a major rebuild somewhere before she was captured as she has much of the Belle Poule features.  I'm still sorting out the odd yard dimensions which match Le Venus but not Belle Poule.  Again, this may have been part the transition period so the rigging will probably be the spar and yard dimensions per the NMM (as captured) but use the Belle Poule rigging plan as that seems more appropriate for the time frame.  I still have a long way to go before I even think about rigging, but its something that needs to be sorted out for the hull sheave placement.

My plan, subject to change,  is to carry on and once the hull is framed and faired, plank the exterior per the NMM/Hahn drawings with mods from Belle Poule. 

By all means, feel free to click the pic for a larger view.  Critiques (negative, corrective, etc.) are always welcome as I'm still trying to get a handle on this beast.

post-76-0-65124700-1409518555_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Please see above.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Fantastic work, Mark. And, if she´s a beast, you´r a great tamer :D:P :P

Mark she is looking great, I bet you are glad that you started over.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Wonderfull work, Mark

You are inspiring my imagination ... Have you read "Song of Ice and Fire" ... Nagga`s hill, temple of Ironborn, made of ribs of Nagga, dragon from ancient time

Something like that

post-4738-0-79046100-1409599229.jpg

post-4738-0-67507700-1409599230.jpg

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks for the comments and the likes.

I see a ship! :)

That's a good thing.  What I see is a collection of wood sailing along in loose formation.  :D  :D :D  

Wonderfull work, Mark

You are inspiring my imagination ... Have you read "Song of Ice and Fire" ... Nagga`s hill, temple of Ironborn, made of ribs of Nagga, dragon from ancient time

Something like that

attachicon.gif350px-Naggas_Hill.jpg

attachicon.gifnagga.jpg

Thanks for the reference, Nenad.  I remember this from quite sometime ago and had to go back and Google it.  Somewhat appropriate, I agree.

I'm carrying on.. adding the spacers to the cants and sorting out the hawse timbers.  Made a few discoveries in the research trail so I'm gong to think about them a bit before I act.  But the timbers have to be in place first.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's a good thing.  What I see is a collection of wood sailing along in loose formation.  :D  :D :D  

You need to visit your optometrist again Mark - that's a pretty tight formation (of timbers) with some very disciplined sailing masters maintaining close station keeping ;)  :) :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Mark she is looking great, I bet you are glad that you started over.

Michael

Thanks Michael.  Yes, I'm very glad I started over.

You need to visit your optometrist again Mark - that's a pretty tight formation (of timbers) with some very disciplined sailing masters maintaining close station keeping ;)   :) :)

cheers

Pat

Thanks for that Pat.  Where the "loose" comes from is periodically one goes flying off into the nether regions of the workshop.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I see a ship! :)

O is it that Grant.

Thanks for pointing me out  :D  :D

Just kidding Mark, it looks great .

A lot of work and a good example for Anja when she ever is doing her scratch build ....

Sjors

Yeah for me...after 11 days and 3 tries, the hawse timbers are cut, assembled, shaped, and installed.  They still need lots of sanding but it's best (from my point of view) to blend into the framing plus there's an inside curve down down low that becomes the outside curve as it rises.  I'm thinking it's best to try it this way.

There's also still a ton of fairing to do and I want that done and out of the way before attacking the stern.   So the next update my be awhile.  :)

I'm debating whether to drill out the hawse ports or put in the plugs and leave the anchors unrigged.  My reasoning is that I'm considering full rigging and sails for this one.

post-76-0-42271300-1410394888_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-87989700-1410394894_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice job Mark; take a bow and several rum 'tots' to celebrate :)   :cheers:

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hi Mark.  Sometimes when a hull's framework is done as well as yours, it's almost a shame to cover it.  No doubt it has to be, but I reckon you'd be wanting to take lots of photos to capture your fine work.  Well done and you've certainly set very high standards for meticulousness and care.

All the best!

So you are describing two compound curves, in opposite directions, coming smoothly together on the same 'piece' or section.  That had to be a serious challenge to get symmetrical.  Well done, Mark.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great looking hawse timbers Mark.  If one can see the hawser cable and capstan it would be like icing on the cake if you can lead the hawser cable through the hawse holes. You can still rig the anchors as you mentioned.  Although, it would also look great to have one anchor hanging down on the hawser cable.  A little extra drama.

Just thinking mind you  :)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Okay.. I'll be that guy.

ONE critique,  ...

MINE do not look like that.  :P

I love this hobby,  this craft... but when I see things like what you are doing you truly see the art of it.   I am sure you see every ding, oops and aww cruds .... but trust me my friend,   It is missed on me -  that looks absolutely fantastic!!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks for the likes and comments.

Nice job Mark; take a bow and several rum 'tots' to celebrate :)   :cheers:

cheers

Pat

I hope to, tomorrow, Pat.  :)  No time this evening. :(

Hawse timbers fitted is a huge step forward, Mark.

John

John, I think you're right.   I look at the plans and the cutting drawing and said, "no big deal"... 3 times. :)

Looking good Mark. Now just the patience to sand the frames to their final shape.
David B

Patience I have plenty of, along with sandpaper.  :)

So you are describing two compound curves, in opposite directions, coming smoothly together on the same 'piece' or section.  That had to be a serious challenge to get symmetrical.  Well done, Mark.

You got it, Augie.  I've attached a drawing.  I'm not quite there yet as everything has to be blended,  See the drawing.  The bow actually isn't that simple as it tapers forward as well as down.   

post-76-0-89674700-1410414886_thumb.jpg

Great looking hawse timbers Mark.  If one can see the hawser cable and capstan it would be like icing on the cake if you can lead the hawser cable through the hawse holes. You can still rig the anchors as you mentioned.  Although, it would also look great to have one anchor hanging down on the hawser cable.  A little extra drama.

Just thinking mind you  :)

Cheers,

Hmm... I smell a challenge there.  :o   Turnabout is fairplay.    ;)

Okay.. I'll be that guy.

ONE critique,  ...

MINE do not look like that.  :P

I love this hobby,  this craft... but when I see things like what you are doing you truly see the art of it.   I am sure you see every ding, oops and aww cruds .... but trust me my friend,   It is missed on me -  that looks absolutely fantastic!!!

Indeed Adam.  I'm staring at those "aww cruds" and trying to picture in my mind fixing them.  Luckily, I'm not seeing any show-stoppers.  :D  And you're not fooling me, I've seen your builds.  :P

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

(carefully writing down the notes).

Mark, thanks again for a step-by-step documentation of your build. It is very useful for a novice builders like me! :)

However, just in case if you missed it before, is that an optical illusion or there is a small "pit" in the frame here? 

post-5430-0-51666500-1410421433_thumb.png

Or the frames would be significantly sanded anyway, so such small things should be ignored?

Congrats Mark. Take a bow and have an adult beverage or three. She's looking mighty fine Sir!