Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

looking great Mark!  your sorting her out in fine style!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Dan for the wishes.

Status at this point:

While sanding down the tuck and bending wood, I got to thinking... Dangerous, I know.  And what with Druxey getting me thinking outside the box a bit.. a lot actually and re-shape things, I re-looked overall the plans in detail even the obscure things... Hahn's build article and pictures... Druxey's input.. other builds.. and it dawned on me that one thing I missed was Hahn's severe beveling of the last cant frame.  See attached.  Once it soaked in what I needed to do, I realized it's only possible way to get that outside edge and the rest of the tuck to work right. 

:blush: While digging around in the hard copy files... I found part of the problem in a post-it note I stuck to the frame drawings .  I hadn't pre-beveled it as radical as needed as the frame was flimsy and taking off halt the material on the trailing edge didn't seem like a good idea at the time.   Well, actually, I did try it during construction and broke both sides twice and told myself "not now". Thus, the post-it note.   I should have hung a big sign on the wall:  "Bevel last aft frame, dummy!!post-76-0-71069200-1436244232.gif I'm beveling even more than what's been suggested and things are coming more into line.  I sometimes really need a slap upside the head.

I'm currently cleaning things up such that the fashion piece, existing planking (well.. the bits I haven't ripped off anyway) and framing and transoms. I'm also cleaning up the aft end of the existing wide planking.  As soon as I can get one side put together, I'll post a photo 

Giampiero, Dan and Druxey, I owe you your favorite adult beverages for your help in spotting problems and your input.  And I owe everyone for their support.   

Frame 53.pdf

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ahh, yes ... the "D'oh !!" moment !!

Homer Simpson would be proud of you, Mark.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I've had to do some of this with my build. Can be frustrating to have to undo & re-do things at first but it's always better afterwards!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I'm hoping for opinions..  and fear not, I can take critique... 

I've sanded and shaped quite a bit on the last cant frame and the transoms.   Is this better?  Does it need more work?

I removed 5 planks, the 3 now installed are only tacked into place and will need beveling, etc.   But I wanted to get an opinion.  I'm thinking they look 100% better, but not sure how "accurate" it is.  Do I need more work on this area?

I managed to sort out what my references show (unfortunately, no planking expansion but that's to be expected) for plank that's now wrapped around a bit.  Which what the references seem to show.

Thanks in advance.  

post-76-0-09001200-1436418114_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-10285800-1436418121_thumb.jpg

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

nice to catch up on your log mark, absolutely fantastic progress

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I'm no expert on this design but need to say that you've made her much more pleasing to the eye.  I'll defer to cog's comment.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Mark - 

Yes, 100% better, but not quite there yet, to my eye.  Go back to the photos of the model that Druxey sent you and compare the turn of the planks there to yours.  I believe that the curve is less acute.  

You can see the sense in having a shallow curve for two reasons.  First, a sharp curve here will create an eddy behind itself which increases drag. Those old shipwrights may not have had the mathematics to describe the exact drag force, but they sure could observe the effect and take it into account. Those old shipyard workers would also have been much happier with less of a struggle to bend 3 or 4 inch thick planks around a tight curve.

Don't worry about removing too much wood since you will be planking over your frames.  You can even put in a filler piece if you need to.  Getting the curve right on this model will guide you on the next one where you could leave the frames exposed.

But you are clearly headed in the right direction on the learning curve and on the model.  Well done.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Now that you have the planks to lay better on the hull are you going to go back and replace the battens and taper the strakes for final fitting and attachment?

Tom

Tom,

Those are the planks,  not battens.. just not 100% fitted and sanded.  The darker one was still wet.   As for tapering, only at the bow are they tapered as such.  The French planking is a bit different for frigates of this era than the British or Americans used.  They used use 8-12 strakes of thick and wide planking and then went to "normal" (for some value of "normal") planking.   The hull is very smooth and unbroken without the obvious wales of the Engish/American ships.   Footnote.. the wales are 1 foot wide, for 9 strakes on the 8-pdr frigate.  The "normal" planks are 8" wide.

Hi Mark - 

Yes, 100% better, but not quite there yet, to my eye.  Go back to the photos of the model that Druxey sent you and compare the turn of the planks there to yours.  I believe that the curve is less acute.  

You can see the sense in having a shallow curve for two reasons.  First, a sharp curve here will create an eddy behind itself which increases drag. Those old shipwrights may not have had the mathematics to describe the exact drag force, but they sure could observe the effect and take it into account. Those old shipyard workers would also have been much happier with less of a struggle to bend 3 or 4 inch thick planks around a tight curve.

Don't worry about removing too much wood since you will be planking over your frames.  You can even put in a filler piece if you need to.  Getting the curve right on this model will guide you on the next one where you could leave the frames exposed.

But you are clearly headed in the right direction on the learning curve and on the model.  Well done.

Dan

Thanks Dan.  You're probably right.  I've pulled off the three planks landing on the tuck and will sand a bit more.  While I agree about the eddys I'm not sure they apply on this ship (I could be wrong) as the waterline is between the lowest full transom and that small transom above the filler block. 

Hmm... she drew 17 feet with the lowest gun port sitting 4 feet out of the water.  The stern windows lower end is at the top of the aft most gunport.   They really did play on perception to make this ship look bigger than she really was.    I note that the British did a similar deception with the Roebuck by putting an upper row of dummy stern windows on a 44 gun frigate to make it appear to be a 64 or 74 from astern.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A bold move Mark and certainly worth the effort. I always fear such redo's but I know if I don't it wil bother me for years to come.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

"she drew 17 feet with the lowest gun port sitting 4 feet out of the water." Wow, wouldnt that put the lee side gunports at least partially under water in a strong wind? How well did port lids actually seal?

Lack of experience makes me hold my toungue on the planking "upgrade" but she looks better and better each time I stop by.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Mark   I knew those were unglued planks.  :)  My question could have been better stated.  It should have read:    Those strakes look like they are full width at the counter.  Do you need to taper them and if so will you reinstall battens.  My bad.

Thanks for the comments and support.

"she drew 17 feet with the lowest gun port sitting 4 feet out of the water." Wow, wouldnt that put the lee side gunports at least partially under water in a strong wind? How well did port lids actually seal?

Lack of experience makes me hold my toungue on the planking "upgrade" but she looks better and better each time I stop by.

Sam

Sam,

I can't answer that about sealing the ports and how well it worked.  The French frigates didn't have lids on the gundeck as it was exposed in the waist.  They use bucklers insead (a one or two piece scheme of a lid fitted to the outside and then secured from the inside. 

Mark   I knew those were unglued planks.  :)  My question could have been better stated.  It should have read:    Those strakes look like they are full width at the counter.  Do you need to taper them and if so will you reinstall battens.  My bad.

Tom

Short answer.. they stay full width or should.  However, for eye appeal, I probably should taper maybe a 32nd of an inch...  I'll give that some thought when I start laying planks again. The bigger issue is that if I taper them, I'll have to use some stealers at the stern.  Right now, still shaping things.  I do need to make a Lowe's trip for a profile/contour gauge to duplicate this work to the other side.  Better leave the CC at home and only take cash for this run....

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

"Better leave the CC at home and only take cash for this run...."

I know what you mean about that Mark. I do the same thing when just picking up lumber, usually, :huh:  unless I have power-tools on my mind.   :D

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Uh.. Tom... I was wrong.  They will have to be spiled...  :blush:  And I'll be needing stealers.   I'm on my 3rd iteration of planks on this round...  I'm hoping.....  but alcohol and sanding sticks are at the ready.  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A side update... I'm doing the drawings for the ship's boats and I'll be putting one together while waiting for glue to dry on the main hull.    So as not to "interrupt the flow of things", I'll either make them a separate log like Danny did for his, or just hold off until the planking is done.  Here's a bit of where I am on these. 

The longboat drawings are done but still need some tweaking.  Seems that I didn't always account for kerf which I finally managed to get down to 0.015" (0.381mm).  And man, these things are tiny.  Might just be the end of me....

Here's two pics of the parts being cut, which is something I couldn't do on a scrollsaw to save my soul.   I tried and failed several times.

post-76-0-88148600-1436833340_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-00173000-1436833354_thumb.jpg

And here's the resulting parts.... the keel is 5" or 125mm long.  The keel and assorted structural members are 1/16" (1.5mm) thick cherry.  The frames (which look like bulkheads are 1/32" (0.79mm)) cherry and the other parts (knees, seats, thwarts on the upper left and upper right) are 1/32" from scrap holly but I'll have to redo them in boxwood as soon I as get some milled down.  I'm planning on using Chuck's method but gluing the bulkheads upside down into a basswood jig for handling and planking.

There (hopefully) will be two more boats.  A barge and cutter and all will be nested into the longboat.

post-76-0-08583100-1436833390_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

It looks like after getting the bugs worked out on that machine, it's taking quite a bit of the "fiddly" out of those tiny little bits Mark.  Glad you've got it tuned up and tweaked, so it works well for you.  B)  :dancetl6:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mark,

That's seriously impressive Mark, certainly takes scratching up a level.

Now you've worked out the bugs the world is your oyster, very well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Nice work Mark!!!

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Mark,

Just beautiful. Really looking forward to seeing these pieces come together into a longboat. Some of them look like they are only a few mm long!

All your hard work and persistence seems to have turned the tools potential into reality! Congrats!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Thanks guys.  

There's been a lot of blood, sweat, and tears to get it to do this along with some extra cash to upgrade a couple of bits.  

I've not seen the magazine Jeff.   The tech is maturing and the price points on a lot of machines are rapidly changing to meet marketing conditions as the market settles in.  There's at least one company is (from what I'm reading in other forums) in dire straights for bad reviews, horrible service and ignoring customers (not MM, by the way).  Unless there's a pressing need, I'd hold off for another 6 months.   For example, the $3000+ machine (50W laser) that I was interested in but not quite affordable is now down to $2000.  I still wouldn't have room for it as its a good 18" longer than one I have......  <sigh><need a bigger workshop>

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice sharp cutting .. I couldn't do those parts on a scrollsaw either, at least not in those sizes ... fortunately I don't need to ;) Those laseercutters are still quite expensive at this side of the pond ... same goes for the Byrnes machines ... sigh :(

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Mark,

Don't forget the parts to make up the gratings, and a tool chest. Plus, if Buck's and Matt's work is any guide, you'll also be needing pieces for a compass, lantern and various barrels.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy