Licorne 1755 by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - French Frigate - from Hahn plans - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Cripes, with that machine, you could turn out barrel staves and start your own coopering works (in 1/16 scale, maybe) ^_^

Seriously, Mark, those parts look great. Were those drawn in CorelDraw or some other drafting program? I'm debating what program to pursue for drawing up parts. B)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

nice work on the ship's parts Mark  ;)    it's really going to make future projects much easier.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well, it's never too early... Dear Santa, I've been a good boy.......

Edited by lb0190

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Thanks for all the likes and comments.

Nice sharp cutting .. I couldn't do those parts on a scrollsaw either, at least not in those sizes ... fortunately I don't need to ;) Those laseercutters are still quite expensive at this side of the pond ... same goes for the Byrnes machines ... sigh :(

It seems to go the other way also, Carl.  Proxxon is rather pricey including shipping, for example.   Hopefully, these machines follow the tech trend.. prices go down and they get better.

Mark,

Don't forget the parts to make up the gratings, and a tool chest. Plus, if Buck's and Matt's work is any guide, you'll also be needing pieces for a compass, lantern and various barrels.

:cheers:

Sorry Steve, no gratings.  Too much sanding needed. I think I have better control on those things with the table saw.  I've got a long list of fiddly bits to take the fiddly out of.  :)  :)

Cripes, with that machine, you could turn out barrel staves and start your own coopering works (in 1/16 scale, maybe) ^_^

Seriously, Mark, those parts look great. Were those drawn in CorelDraw or some other drafting program? I'm debating what program to pursue for drawing up parts. B)

I'm using CorelDraw X6, Ken.  One has to be careful on the machine as some won't work with the new versions of Corel and some won't work the older versions.   I choose to buy this one outright from Amazon as the current (X7) was only available to me in the "subscription version".  Sorry Corel.. I don't want to pay every month for something I might or might not be using.   I'm cheap.. err... frugal.. Yeah..frugal.

Well, it's never too early... Dear Santa, I've been a good boy.......

Very impressive Mark. It should be very satisfying to get that level of results from what you were originally given to work with.

Santa will probably give me a flashlight and magnifying glass.

It's getting there Larry.  I'm still on the learning curve.  Feel free to use my excuse: "I'll get it now. I could be dead by Christmas."  So far, that philosophy has worked. :huh:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm cheap.. err... frugal.. Yeah..frugal.

Mark,

You're Scottish ...

ah no, you're Dutch ...

Nope, definitely not ... 

You just use your common sense mate!!!

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Mark

I feel with your new toy that you may make a killing taking orders for jobs? I'm sure there's plenty of international customers who'd be lining up to have parts cut.

It might become a real little earner for you! I'll take my 20% cut, of course.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Patrick,

If I were Mark I would use it for meself and no one else ... lest I wouldn't have time to work on me own projects!!! Besides, all the hassle you've got to count those stacks of money ;) The midnight oiling to get deliveries out and meet demand ... nope, not worth it after retirement

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Patrick,

If I were Mark I would use it for meself and no one else ... lest I wouldn't have time to work on me own projects!!! Besides, all the hassle you've got to count those stacks of money ;) The midnight oiling to get deliveries out and meet demand ... nope, not worth it after retirement

Hah, Carl. You're most probably very correct! Retirement is meant to be fun, for sure.

All the best!

Patrick

Me...go commericial....  post-76-0-19972200-1436990585.gif    I retired specifically not to.  :huh:

Seriously, if  you want laserwork done, contact Chuck or I think it's Rick who also does it.   I've used Chuck's services and he does beautiful work.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Been a bit since that last update... I stripped off 5 strakes of planking at the stern and reworked it with some help in the form of advice and mentoring from Dan and Druxey.  They set me straight and on the right path.   I'll do a bit more sanding (still rough only for now) and then turn the hull around and to the other side.  I did some templates and the shapes look pretty close so I think that side will go a bit quicker.  I shouldn't have to plank, rip off the planks, sand and then replank several times...  :)

I have a dummy fashion piece held in with the blue pin to get the plank ends correct and I'll be fitting the real thing later. I'm not too worried about the plank ends being 100% squared up as there's a reasonably wide covering trim plank that will go over them.  Besides, isn't it supposed to be deal with one headache at a time. ;)

I just noticed....my work area is beyond messy... sorry.

Thanks for the comments, the help, and the support.  Back to motoring on and making sawdust.

post-76-0-74017200-1437259796_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-08063000-1437259806_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-99511600-1437259815_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-36045400-1437259826_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark She looks complicated with some very difficult bends for the planking but with my trained and studious eyes she looks to be taking on a grand shape and will be a worthy build next to my kit make constellation Lol actually in real mans terms she looks great wouldn't want to take her on as a project till I've done a few hundred builds but looking great Haven't seen a side view in a while You should show one

Looking great Mark.  You got a really nice curve to the stern counter too - nice job!  She's going to be a really curvy lady!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mark, your old planking was looking ok but your new planking is looking much better. The transoms and espacially the tansition to the counter timber is really tricky. I had there also a lot of problems during the build of my half model.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Hi Mark,

To my eye and very limited experience I would say you have it right now, I think its a vast improvement mate.

Well done for having the bottle to take on the adjustment.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I'm jumping on the bandwagon with Carl.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for the "like", the comments and looking....

Here's the current state...  

The wale (wide) planking is complete on the port side.  Work is continuing on the starboard side.  I've temporarily tacked in place the garboard strakes in order to measure the remaining area for the "normal" planking strips.  I'm also sorting out how many battens I'll need...  I'm thinking probably 3 of about 8-10 planks between battens..

At this point, I know I'm going to need drop planks and stealers since various monographs show them...  I'm assuming this was the normal method for the French ships and not the monograph author's but haven't been able to verify it.

Click on the image to enlarge and as always ideas for improvement are welcomed.

post-76-0-78170500-1437448983_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Lovely bit of planking so far Mark, looking forward to seeing further progress mate.

I'm a bit confused as to why the black around the for'ard Gunports ends the way it does, is there a reason or am I just being stupid.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Lovely bit of planking so far Mark, looking forward to seeing further progress mate.

I'm a bit confused as to why the black around the for'ard Gunports ends the way it does, is there a reason or am I just being stupid.

Be Good

mobbsie

Could it have anything to do with storage of the anchor?

Peter

Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam

Slainte gu mhath

L.H.

The port-side's looking great so far!  Glad you've worked your way through the difficulties concerning the stern Mark, and can continue to move along with the rest of the planking. :dancetl6:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Be Good

mobbsie

Mobbsie, Peter - 

Yes, the decorative way the wale is fashioned in French ships is related to anchor stowage.  The French stiffened their longer, wider (compared to English designs) hulls by making their wales thicker and in several bands.  Between the bands the hull planking was thinner, creating a step up to the wale.  Where the anchor was hauled up for stowage the side point of the fluke could catch on it and rip up the wood.  So at the bow the thinner middle planking was exchanged for thicker stuff that created a smooth surface for the fluke to slide on.  Being French, where the thicker stuff ended, it was shaped in a stylish manner rather than just a functional end.

Here are two photos of the element from the QAR project

post-3092-0-13068200-1437485250_thumb.jpg

post-3092-0-86148300-1437485260_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks for that clear and illustrated explanation, Dan.  Never heard that.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956