Licorne (1755) by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

Nice work Mark.  Love the windows.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I'm looking forward to seeing that taff-rail decoration (made with your DeathStar) really pop once a bit of paint has been added !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

G'day Mark 

It's look good to me! Love the windows and the carving. With your new toy, you are getting  too fussy,  and I guess I would be the same. 

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Nothing works like elbow grease Mark.  Nice work. I'm becoming super envious of the laser cutter though.  How long til Father's day when I can make up an excuse to buy something else?  Heh

A little elbow grease, a little sand paper...  Yep.. have that in abundance.  :)   The cutters are a good tool but I find that I still need the other tools also.  I think I need some sessions with Dr. Per. 

I'm looking forward to seeing that taff-rail decoration (made with your DeathStar) really pop once a bit of paint has been added !!

Well.. no go on the decorations from the Deathstar.  What needs to fit is pretty darn small but I have some ideas that might work... <fingers crossed>  As for paint...   :o  :o  :o

G'day Mark 

It's look good to me! Love the windows and the carving. With your new toy, you are getting  too fussy,  and I guess I would be the same. 

Havagooday mate 

Greg 

I was fussy before I started this and well before I got the Deathstar.   :D  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I know mate. I was only joking.  Didn't mean to you to take it te wrong way.

Havagooday mate 

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

I know mate. I was only joking.  Didn't mean to you to take it te wrong way.

Havagooday mate 

Greg  

No worries.   We're on the same page.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

truly you are.........ahhhhhhhh,  page 81 to be exact  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

A minor update, model wise.  A biggie for me.   :)   The stern is more or less complete.  It still needs the carvings and the taffrail needs the finials but those are in-work and may be that way for some time as I move on to other things.   I carve while waiting for glue to dry, etc.

I was playing with the camera and some settings... here's the inboard side of the stern unplanked and then planked in silver maple.  I'm using the maple where things would have been white-washed.  The planked version also shows part of the taffrail installed.

post-76-0-87070300-1456527460_thumb.jpgpost-76-0-28412900-1456527468_thumb.jpg

From the outboard side with part taffrail installed.

post-76-0-88707900-1456527476_thumb.jpg

This is the two other pieces of the taffrail on the scroll saw using the ScrollSander to clean off the laser char and finesse the fit.  The final finessing was using a file and sanding sticks.

post-76-0-56985300-1456527486_thumb.jpg

And with the full taffrail installed.  It needs a bit of cleanup and some wipe-on poly, but I'll that when get the carvings ready.  The quarter galleries need to be built also before finishing.  It's a  bit off (about 1mm on the port side) but I'll live with it.  

post-76-0-51359100-1456527495_thumb.jpg

All in all, I'm pretty chuffed about this as it was a big learning curve.  I wanted the joinery perfect.. not quite there yet but to my eye, it looks good.  Next up is the rudder while I sort out the quarter galleries.  These have a bit of unusual shape in that they curve out past the stern and then back to the hull, like a half circle only not...  Hard to explain but I'm researching and sorting it out.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The stern looks splendid Mark. Getting the rest of that taffrail closed up sets her off and gives it that "almost" done feel!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Just beautiful, Mark !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hey Mark, you have every right to be chuffed mate.

The Taff Rail looks superb and the whole ship is coming together nicely.

I like a ship with a nice bum and she's got one, very well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mark,

That is lovely. Version 2 is coming together nicely.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hmmm, not bad for a start ;)  Patrick took the words right out of my mouth

Absolutely freaking gorgeous!!!

Perfect job mate!!! Couldn't do it meself for certain ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Mark, That is looking sharp , well done 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Coming along nicely and looking good, but the glass in the windows is great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Beautiful work Mark !

Edited by gerty

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

Thanks for the "likes" and the comments.

The stern looks splendid Mark. Getting the rest of that taffrail closed up sets her off and gives it that "almost" done feel!  :)

I quite agree George.   The big carving will finish it off, although I'm still thinking about the other things that are not clear on the drawings.  This was just a simple 8-pd frigate.  I'm either going to do an acanthus leaf "thingie" on the lower part of the taffrail or maybe a vine type of thing.  Leaving it plain has a certain appeal also...

Hey Mark, you have every right to be chuffed mate.

The Taff Rail looks superb and the whole ship is coming together nicely.

I like a ship with a nice bum and she's got one, very well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

Thanks Mobbsie.  I think she has a nice bum also.

Hmmm, not bad for a start ;)  Patrick took the words right out of my mouth

Perfect job mate!!! Couldn't do it meself for certain ...

Cheers

Thanks Carl.  I wasn't too sure how it was going to come out.  If not for some some advice in the background on some issues it probably would have not been a pretty sight.

That looks awesome Mark, take a bow.

How does silver maple compare to white maple, I have never worked with it

I've not worked with any other maple at this point, Sam.  It seems to work about the same as boxwood, maybe pear.  It's hard but does take a bend with a little persuasion.  It seems to take an edge well and it's almost as white (and a lot cheaper) than holly.

Very nicely done Mark. You've got a very nice looking rear end! ;)

I do?   :o   I think the ship's looks better than mine.   :D  :D  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Very nice work on the windows Mark, I am just waiting for the day that you cut her loose from the massive sheet of wood.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hey mark She's a looking great How hard has it been for you to go from kits to scratch Looks like you've been doing scratch for years great butt on that girl

I find it's not hard, Jeff.  What is a kit?  Some wood, some string, some plans, and some usually very bad instructions unless it's one of new ones*. In this case, you source the plans, the wood, etc.  It's not overwhelming if you just think of it as a series of steps.  I actually wrote down a series of steps/mileposts before I began.  Well, that list has expanded and things moved around a bit.  But that works.

Thanks for the complement.  My goal is to build this one the best I can and the next one will be even better.  

*I do hear good things about the instructions written by Chuck, Dusek, and Maristella.  I hope other companies will pay attention.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well Mark, it took me most of the day, but I have now completed your log from post one to here. Wonderful work, and I am heartened to see I am not the only one who goes through the deconstructions/reconstructions phases. It looks like painstaking work so for, but I would certainly be pleased with the result!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)