mtaylor

Licorne by mtaylor - (POF) - 3/16 - French Frigate (Hahn) - Version 2.0 - TERMINATED

You are using an abacus Mark ?  :D  :D  :D

I have to magnify the picture to see the scale planks......

That means you are doing a great job with that planking or is it the meaning that you see the scale of the planks ?

Forgive me if I sound stupid.......

Colour of my hair  :(  :(  :(  or age.......

Sjors

Sjors,

The planks are scale size.  Thus, a 1 foot (304.8 mm) wide plank in real life is 3/16" (4.7625 mm) wide on the model. 

I would say that learning here is mainly trying to understand what's goin' on (and how) and if you're lucky: If applicable apply to your own (future) build(s).

Proof of life... it ain't dead yet... :)

The main wale needs sanding as does the next stake down (up in the photo) but I'll hold off until I get more strakes done towards the keel.

Planking on the "gun port stripe" (such that it is) is done.   I'm still sanding and need to finish opening all the ports and get them shaped.

The bottom photo shows in blue what will be ebony..

post-76-0-96031600-1424058692_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-79464400-1424058705_thumb.jpg

She's looking good Mark. It's going to be a real nice contrast in color with all the different wood species in place.

Cheers

Mark,

You have your work layed out for you ... again ... Like the ebony contrast you are going to use.

You're making some great progress Mark - far from a 'dead' project :)  The planking looks good and the 'painting' with wood will provide some very nice detail.

cheers

Pat

You're making some great progress Mark - far from a 'dead' project :)  The planking looks good and the 'painting' with wood will provide some very nice detail.

cheers

Pat

I was talking about me.. not the ship. :)  :) :)  

At least we know you are not snowed in ... Thanks to other topics, we'll be waiting patiently - as far as we can be...

I guess it's about time I did something....

Gunport stripe (for lack of a better nomenclature) has been sanded, re-sanded, ports cut, re-sanded some more, gaps filled and sanded again... :Whew: I've applied one coat of wipe on poly to the stripe and to the counter to protect it.

Anyway... onward to the port side.

Once the port side is finished, I'll add the ebony chain wales and the French version of the billboard which runs from the stem, past the first port to the start of the second port.

post-76-0-11493000-1426042293_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-00509400-1426042327_thumb.jpg

As always, feel free to enlarge the photos by clicking on them.  Any advice, etc. is always appreciated.

I agree with Augie! From the perspective in the first pic, she looks to be about 4 feet long. Definitely a sizable ship and you're off to a great start with the planking Mark!

George, Augie,   Thanks.

George,

She's 24 inches long on the main deck from stem to transom.   The table she sits on is 3 feet long.