HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Chuck - FINISHED - 1:48 scale - kit prototype

I agree: Taking time to plan and draw the planking layout and shift of butts is never a waste of time! It will save grief later on.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi-- did the Cheerful have scuppers or some other way of clearing water? If some waves broke over her she could end up with a foot of water sloshing around?

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

It's really quite amazing, but now that I look at the plans for the boat I'm building (the Rattlesnake), the deck planks are curved just like you say.

I never noticed before.

Edited by KenW

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

ha ha I thought they were rings on the plans and something to do with the rigging :) silly me :)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Spent hours this morning on this great log Chuck. You can count me among the builders of your cutter. Building at 1/4" scale will be a real treat. Your work is masterful, as usual, and I can't wait to place my order and get cranking.

I'm now wondering how she will look with bamboo planking. Hmmmm

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

Plans and bulkheads arrived today.... they look great. I'm really looking forward to working at 1:48th scale. Can't wait to get started.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

And finally....the deck is planked.  This is a big milestone for me because it is the last really big  messy job to be done.  The remainder of the project will be small fittings and less sanding.  There will be less dust and less paint touch up.

The planking was pretty straight forward after having lined off the deck.  I just following the plan I drew on the false deck.  Each plank was tapered to match.  The scarphed planks were handles much the same way the drop plank was on the outside of the hull.  If I thought it was needed, I made a card stock template.  The scarphed planks were cut from wider stock (7/32" or even 1/4" wide planks). 

Next I will create the rudder port because it will be the last time I can turn the hull upside down without too much trouble.  Once that is done I will return outboard and finish off all of the details.  The boom crutches, boarding ladders, scuppers and channels etc.

deckplanked.jpg

deckplanked1.jpg

deckplanked2.jpg

I also like the new method of planking. 

I'm in the process of lining of my deck.  Is there any convention as to when a plank ends?  Like perhaps when it gets to one half the original thickness?

Your workmanship is excellent, as usual.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

I can't say enough about the planking. Simply beautiful!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Great looking deck planking, Chuck. You put mine to shame. In a previous post, you said:

"I find that on most contemporary models there are only a few scarf joints.... as opposed to modern models where the builder uses way to many.  I have always seen just two or three and on the rarest of occasions four hooked scarf joints against the waterway."

It looks like you ended up with 5 scarf joints on each side, two in the bow and three in the stern. Did you mean two or three per each end?

Yes indeed...on each end...I have seen some folks use 6 or seven and sometimes more at each end.   It just wouldnt be the case.  Its usually because they don't taper the planks to curve them.  If you use straight planks then you may well be forced to use many more which is why they usually tapered them.  I also find that they start the nibbing process too soon.  It usually isnt needed till the margin plank turns down the sides of the bulwarks further aft then most start.

Thanks for the clarification. This has been on my mind since I read this because I had to put a few into the sides of the Constitution deck planks but didn't want to put too many in.

Congratulations Chuck, a beautiful work.
I follow you step by step in the construction of my cheerful.
I'm proceeding with the riveting of the hull, very tedious job but effective.
Do you have some photos spars?
I'm also beginning to think the shop window on which store the model that I will definitely Plexiglas but are undecided on the base, if it on a stopover site, you have a few drawings to show me?

Hello

Current build  

Enterprize

Schifetto

Completed builds:

LA BELLE

La Jacinthe French Schooner

Cherful

Tartana Gemma

Carmenia           

Salvatore Padre 

Tartana Gemma

Bisquine La Granvillaise

Fishing-boat

English pinnace

18th Century Longboat

Thank You.....I am not sure I understand what photo spars is.  Can you clarify?  I will certainly help you any way I can.

Chuck

I created the rudder port by flipping the hull upside down.  I made a pilot hole and slowly opened it up and shaped it.  I made the rudder first which is shown below.  This was used to test the size and shape of teh port and when I was satisfied I touched up the red paint around it.

rudder.jpg

Then it was time to add the small top section of the rudder post.  I designed the model so it was simulated and put on in two pieces.  The laser cut longer piece is shown in the same photo below.  I left a longer tail so folks can sand it down to fit their models.  The deck level will probably vary model to model and this takes care of the issue.  Once filed down to fit, it was glued into position and painted. To pull off the illusion I used yellow glue which sets up slower.  By having the rudder made I was able to tape it in position so I could get the correct angle for this tiny piece.  This step was crucial.   It was tweaked while the rudder was taped on temporarily.

The yellow glue gave me a lot of time to move it around so it was positioned correctly and creates the illusion of a one piece stern post.  A little sanding on the outboard edge and some filler and it looked really good after painting.  I still havent decided if I will paint the inboard portion of the rudder head.  I probably will as is stands out too much left bright.

rudderport.jpg

rudderpost1.jpg

And finally....I made some time to paint the windlass.  I havent glued it into position yet but here are some overall detailed photos.

9-29-1.jpg

9-29.jpg

Thank You.....I am not sure I understand what photo spars is.  Can you clarify?  I will certainly help you any way I can.

Chuck

Foto of mainmast and bowsprit.

What kind of finish you used for the hull?

only beeswax or shellac pad?

sorry for my english

but some terms are not easy to translate

thank you

Iosto

Current build  

Enterprize

Schifetto

Completed builds:

LA BELLE

La Jacinthe French Schooner

Cherful

Tartana Gemma

Carmenia           

Salvatore Padre 

Tartana Gemma

Bisquine La Granvillaise

Fishing-boat

English pinnace

18th Century Longboat

No not yet.  That is months away I am afraid.   I am using MinWax Wipe-On-Poly for the finish.  Nothing else.

Started on the timber heads today.  There are only six.  No shortcuts here.  Just grab a sharp blade and start shaping.   I know some folks use power tools for this but I prefer to go old-school.  I just go very very slow.  They are 3/32" thick.

timberheads.jpg

Chuck

fantastic looking hull Chuck,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Most were just edge bent...the hooked scarfs were cut from wider stock than the 3/16" strips and then they were edge bent too!!!

Chuck

Chuck - 

Really nice deck and windlass.  Right up there with your usual award-winning standards.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Timberheads are completed....now on to the boom crutches.  Just a word about those boom crutches.  These are probably some of the trickiest parts of the model to make.  There are going to be some crazy angles to create and much trial and error.  I expect to make quite a large pile of bad boom crutches.  This is for the benefit of all those building the model as well.  You will no doubt have a large pile of discarded crutches also.  I will do my best to explain how I make them step by step.   :)

timberheads.jpg

timberheadson.jpg

timberheadson1.jpg

timberheadson2.jpg

OK Chuck solve the biggest mystery for me.....how in the heck do you keep your builds so clean looking???

I think mine is pretty clean when I go to take a photo, only to find the photo magnifies each minuscule dust particle by a factor of 10!! And that is after O blow it it and wipe it sown with a tack cloth.

Come on ....share, please  ;o)

Tom

Edited by twintrow