IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

17 minutes ago, cog said:

A quarter of a million ... ah, that's why I keep on finding new sheets of PE parts !!

Are they like rabbits and multiply when you're not looking?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A few months ago, I ran across these "Beadsmith Magical Picks" on Ebay and decided to give them a try. For the really tiny, small PE parts that are a little too small to handle with tweezers lest they fly away into the vast wastes beyond, I use these. They work great! Quick, fast, and precise.

Not for larger pieces that require lots of positioning and repositioning, but for those smaller parts like maybe portholes, these work wonders.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261514587700?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wow... you are filling that deck up quickly now that all the grunt work is done (or a large chunk of it).   Looking super nice.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

They come as a set with the upgrade. The ammo boxes have now been added and the big guns would have been added if I didn't drop the box and break them all. That's tomorrow's job, the plan is to have the big guns done and on. There are also support struts which will have to go on the high angle guns and this part of the build will be complete. 

I can then then do the anchors and chains, then make a start on the ships boats and aircraft. I am aware that the Yamato got rid of them at the end but why would I go to all this pain and not do them? 

Once that it done one I can do the flagstaffs and rigging and then the stanchions. 

Id like to see a few more of you tackle some photo etch! The metalwork on many of the wooden builds is just outstanding. 

IMG_4027.JPG

Greg

Jess that's looking good greg - nice work!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

You like dropping boxes, don't you! A bit sloppy to leave those ammunition boxes open RGL... ;) Starts to look like a battleship ready to rock 'n roll, a few big guns, and some more minor items and she's ready ... still a lot of work left though. Looking good

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

This has turn out beautiful. Almost makes me want to go out and buy one, but I have to many kits on the shelf and under the table and everywhere to do that, maybe if I live long enough I will. Beautiful work. Keep the pictures and post coming, always looking for more to see. And Thank you for sharing the excellent build with us here.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Holy cow..... :o  The fourth photo gives a good impression of what an attacking aircraft might have seen.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

amazing amount of progress you've made Greg!     awesome job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

And back to the front of the bus; the ships chains and anchors. I painted the chains grey (from the shiny cheap looking black metal), then ran 2 different rust washes over them, and using two different chain sizes secured them with ezline. The Pontos kit provides 4 chain stoppers and brake handles as well. 

I think they came out OK. 

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG

IMG_4045.JPG

IMG_4046.JPG

Greg

now......that's cool!   must have been fun putting it together ;)  really looks nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

That is excellent work Greg, if we didn't know this was your first go at weathering, we would think you were a master with a ton of experience.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Greg, your build is magnificent. The weathering - you hit that out of the park! I am blown away.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

RGL,

Have a look here (for the next one ...) stud link chain I like that stern and it's details

You think you can improve on your next build ... well mate, you better get me a front row seat for that one. That is something I have to see!!!

Carl

4 hours ago, Canute said:

Greg, your build is magnificent. The weathering - you hit that out of the park! I am blown away.

Member lost in severe wind gust, last seen shooting out of the park ....

(Sorry Greg, I'll get back to my corner ...)

Carl

4 hours ago, cog said:

RGL,

Have a look here (for the next one ...) stud link chain I like that stern and it's details

You think you can improve on your next build ... well mate, you better get me a front row seat for that one. That is something I have to see!!!

I had seen this but it is waaaaaay too big for this scale. North Star make it to scale which I used on my Dreadnought but it's a pain to make and still looks 2D to my eye. All the manufacturers are seeming to make 1/200 these days so it may work for that but I would quickly run out of room parking them in my study. 

Greg

I don't believe it is a model, looks so real that with right angle of photograph one could be completely deceived, that it is the real deal... :D:D 

Great work ;) 

George

-------------------

Current build: Fairmount Alpine Billing Boats RC 1/75

Completed builds (logs): IJN Musashi, IJN Yukikaze, IJN Mogami (All Tamiya 1/350), HMS Pegasus Victory Models 1/64

In dry-docks: USS New Jersey Tamiya 1/350