HMS Victory by gjdale - FINISHED - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Really nifty.  Thanks for sharing.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Grant,

On my first attempt, I cut out the basic pattern with a scroll saw, glued it all up and then tried to drill the large centre hole (about 6mm diam) ................. and watched the entire piece disintegrate.

Yep, that's what usually happens, even with a really good timber like English Box :huh:  .

An alternative method to using the stone in the Dremel (in case you DON'T have one of the right diameter) is to drill the centre hole in the piece of wide stock FIRST, then cut the outside on the scroll saw a bit oversize - this can easily be filed to the right shape when the centre has been finessed to shape, cut the circles in half and continue on as you did.

Other than that you did it EXACTLY as I would have done - I didn't think the drawing I made needed any further explanation for you  ;)  :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thank you all for the kind words and also the "likes".

Hi Grant,

Your cunning plan looks perfect and what a great solution!  I wonder what faces you pulled when the first one disintegrated though haha.

It's not so much the faces, Bindy, as the language - enough to make a true sailor blush! ;)

Thanks B.E. - it's all your fault really ;)

Thank you too Lawrence.

Thank you Patrick and Marc.

I seem to have finally made a bit of progress attaching string this weekend!

First up, here's the Mizzen Pinrail with lines attached.  

post-242-0-23747700-1395574057_thumb.jpg

The mast cleats that I removed from here have been relocated to the Belfry, because reading ahead, I realised that I was going to need these and as usual the kit hadn't provided for them.

This weekend I have managed to fit:

• Topsail Sheet and Clue Lines to both Fore and Main lower yards.
  • Leech Lines and Bunt Lines (Fore Lower Yard)
  • Spritsail Yard Brace
  • Spritsail Topsail Yard Brace
  • Topsail Yard Reef Tackle (Fore)
  • Topsail Yard Buntlines (Fore)
  • Topgallant Sheet and Clue Lines (Fore)
  • Topgallant Bunt Lines (Fore)

The kit plans aren't too bad, once you figure out which line you are looking at. The only real issue is the belaying points - because the kit omits both shroud and mast cleats, it takes a while to figure out where the lines really need to go. Longridge has been indispensable for this.  I also have to acknowledge Gil Middleton's excellent log.  On one occasion, he was able to save me when even Longridge let me down!  Thanks Gil. ;)

Pics - starting with Topsail Sheets and Clue Lines

Edit: I put a number of labels on these pics, but when I resized the pics, I lost most of the annotations.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

post-242-0-44501400-1395574085_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-29988000-1395574087_thumb.jpg

Topsail Buntlines:

post-242-0-28692400-1395574123_thumb.jpg

Topgallant Sheet and Clue Lines:

post-242-0-72823000-1395574112_thumb.jpg

Topgallant Buntlines:

post-242-0-03817700-1395574111_thumb.jpg

A close up showing the underside of the Fore Top - it's getting quite busy under there!

post-242-0-16027700-1395574069_thumb.jpg

And finally, a couple of overview shots:

post-242-0-72130900-1395574134_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-24106300-1395574136_thumb.jpg

Edited by gjdale

Nicely done.  That underside of the foretop shows that you have absolutely nailed it.  IMHO, perfect!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Grant,

Very well done.   You're on the final stretch now.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking fantastic Grant, bet you found those little arrows getting in the way though. :D

After all this time the finish line is looming, your either going to feel elated or sad when she's completed. :mellow:  :mellow:

Question, do you have any Crows Feet to go on her ?. I've done mine but I'm not sure of it's too early, we'll see. ;)

I've decided it's going to be the DB250 Wood Lathe mate, with all the other toys I want to get my pocket isn't deep enough, hard fact of life I'm afraid. :(  :(

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks Augie, Sjors, Mark, John, Mobbsie and Bindy for the kind comments, and also to all those who "liked".

The finish line is certainly creeping inexorably closer, but it still a way off yet. I think the overwhelming feeling Mobbsie, will be one of satisfaction, mixed with a little relief, and a sense of excitement about finally starting a new project. And no, there are no crows feet on Victory, although there are a few ham fists where the rigging is concerned!

Bindy - thanks for the compliment but my photographic skills leave a lot to be desired. I'll try to take some better pictures next weekend - need to do something about the background I think. I might even break out the "big" camera! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been out of the shipyard for a couple of weeks as we've been back and forth to Sydney quite a bit for family matters. On the plus side, on our last trip up there, I was allowed to visit my favourite toy store - Carbatec, and was also allowed to purchase some dust collection equipment. (I figured that as I now owned a serious assortment of dust-making machinery, it was time to do something serious about dust collection). In return for my wife's indulgence of my hobby, I took her across the road for a romantic dinner for two at IKEA. ;):P (Mind you, there's method in her madness. I think that visit to IKEA is about to cost some serious $$$).

We gave ourselves the weekend off this weekend, so I was at last able to get back to the shipyard. After fixing a couple of errors I just noticed from my last efforts on the rigging, I did manage to finish the Main yards to the same state as the Fore yards (minus errors). Tomorrow should see me achieve the same on the Mizzen yards, and then it's on to the Driver Boom and Gaff. After that, Sheets, Tacks and Braces, and Bowlines, and I'm just about there. Oh - there is still the small matter of another boat or few.....

Pics tomorrow.

Hi Grant,

Its been awhile since I last dropped by and she is looking amazing.  How you've managed to keep track of the miles of rigging I don't know.

Cheers

slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Thanks Slog. Keeping track of the rigging is actually easier than you might think. The hard part is getting your head around what line is what in the plans, and being able to cross-reference against Longridge. But probably the hardest part of all is belaying the lines to tiny pins and shroud cleats. My wife's vocabulary has increased considerably of late - and not for the better! ;)

Well, I managed to finish off the Mizzen yards as planned today.  I've attached a few pics to give the overall impression, but I'm afraid the photographer is not very good!  :(   I tried placing a large cutting mat as the background so that the lighter running rigging could be seen instead of disappearing into the white wall behind.

Here they are anyway;

post-242-0-33968100-1396783723_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-46209600-1396783727_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-89229600-1396783731_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-50022100-1396783738_thumb.jpg

Okay, next up Driver Boom and Gaff.  That may have to wait a little while as we're off to Sydney again next weekend  :( ...... although I've been promised another visit to Carbatec where I've got my eye on a 10" bandsaw.......... B)  :rolleyes:  B)

I'm afraid not Lawrence. The Admiral only gets involved with funding approval for "essential" equipment. She won't get her hands dirty in the shipyard - too much bad language coming from there for her taste! ;)

Thank you Patrick. Ah yes, the 10" bandsaw. Handy thing for a picnic, as the saying goes. Mainly thinking of future projects for that one.....

Looks really fine with that backdrop.  Have a safe trip!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thank you all for the kind comments and words of encouragement, and also to all those who "liked".. I'm really looking forward to finishing off the last parts of the rigging and doing the final additions.

Well done on the rigging.  You're getting there... almost done.   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)