USS Tennessee 1869 by Keith Black - scale 1:120 - Wood Hull Screw Frigate - ex Madawaska 1865

Keith,

You got this!

Tennessee looks amazing!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Looking good Keith; a few pointers (about the 'inside work' as you call it) that I can take away also - thanks.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Beautiful work, as always Keith! Now the real fun begins. Not sure if I mentioned this or now before, but rigging is one of my favorite tasks. Something about it just brings me joy seeing all the lines come together on a ship. Of course snagging them while I work and almost dragging the boat off the bench, tends to quell some of that joy, as well as bring out a few expletives, but it’s all part of it. Looking forward to seeing the shroud progress. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

On 1/20/2024 at 6:04 PM, GrandpaPhil said:

Keith,

You got this!

Tennessee looks amazing!

On 1/20/2024 at 6:40 PM, Rick310 said:

Beautiful clean work!!  Amazing!!

Rick

Phil and Rick, thank you. That means a lot coming from the both of you.

23 hours ago, mbp521 said:

Beautiful work, as always Keith! Now the real fun begins. Not sure if I mentioned this or now before, but rigging is one of my favorite tasks. Something about it just brings me joy seeing all the lines come together on a ship. Of course snagging them while I work and almost dragging the boat off the bench, tends to quell some of that joy, as well as bring out a few expletives, but it’s all part of it. Looking forward to seeing the shroud progress. 

-Brian

Thank you, Brian. I also like seeing string getting strung to places where once only imagination linked intersecting points.

22 hours ago, TBlack said:

Keith,

You're progressing nicely, and I'm impressed with your camera work. What are you using to get such good close-ups? And why can't I?

Tom

Thank you, Tom. The camera I'm using is a Canon EOS Rebel T3 with a standard lens. I get the best results using autofocus and flash. 

Thank you so very much for the likes, everyone. As I move forward with this project it's a comfort knowing you're there following along, generously lending your support. 

Keith

On 1/20/2024 at 9:48 PM, Keith Black said:

Isn't it rich?

That after all of this time

I've developed the itch

Where are the shrouds?

Send in the shrouds

You have missed your vocation mate..........................you should have been a plumber or real estate agent or a hairdresser. Anything but a song writer!

Beautiful work Keith.

Edited by KeithAug

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 2 weeks later...

Nice progress being made here, Keith.

On 1/20/2024 at 4:48 PM, Keith Black said:

Isn't it rich?

That after all of this time

I've developed the itch

Where are the shrouds?

Send in the shrouds

HA!  -  quit clowning around, there's work to be done.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Keith...you're on the home stretch.  Try avoiding adding anymore braces...especially the lower ones.  They will surely make the addition of the lower shrouds and backstays...a tougher gig.

I hope all is well.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Mark, Keith, Gary. and Rob, thank you for the comments and support.........it's going to be awhile before I get back to the Tennessee.

Tuesday, the 6th of February, at 2:15 PM my dear Maggie had a critical stroke. Her heart threw a blood clot to her brain due to a irregular heartbeat.  Fortunately I had just gotten home and I knew immediately she'd had a stroke, the ambulance had her to the Jackson hospital by 2:35 PM. She received a tPA shot at 4:30 PM while on the transport gurney to be care flighted to the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor for emergency brain surgery to remove the clot. 

It was touch and go for awhile but thank God she made it through surgery, then three days in ICU and four days in the stroke ward. The left side of her body was affected but she didn't suffer any mental issues, again, thank you Lord! She was then transferred to the Kresge Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center in Chelsea where she is going through therapy to learn to swallow liquids and regain the use of her left fingers. She is expected to be there at least a month before she can come home.

Please pray for Maggie and myself, thank you 

Keith

You can count on our prays for sure Keith, stay strong my friend we are all with you.:(

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Sorry to hear this news Keith; my thoughts are with you.  I hope Maggie has a full recovery.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Keith, so sorry to hear about your Maggie. We will keep you both in our prayers for a speedy and full recovery. 

-Brian

Edited by mbp521

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Keith

What a difficult time you are both having. However I am thankful Maggie has passed the first critical hurdle. The medics do wonderful things these days so hopefully recovery will go well. My thoughts are with you both.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Sad to hear this Keith. You (and yours) are in my thoughts. 

Your build can definately wait until Maggie is fully recovered. 

On the brighter side I'm happy to see she "got away with it" relatively lightly, if I'm allowed to say so. 

I am so sad to hear that Maggie is going through this difficult time. I wish her all the best and hope that she will recover quickly and fully. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

To Bob, Pat, Glen, Brian, Eberhard, Andrew, Keith, Tom, JJ, Roel, Dave, Ryland, Chris, and Keith, a huge thank you for your prayers, thoughts, and well wishes. My MSW family is a blessing, every interaction brightens my day. 

To answer Eberhard's question regarding Maggie's surgery..... they tried to find a vein to her heart first through the groin, then her arm, and lastly her wrist. They were able to remove 100% of the blood clot without any bleeding of the brain from the surgery. The surgery was a complete success, modern medicine is absolutely amazing!

Guys, never pass up the opportunity to give your wife a hug and tell her that you love her. They are the most precious thing in our life because they make life bearable, without them we are nothing. 

So sorry to hear of Maggie's stroke; my thought are with you both. As you say the medical folk are so skilled and it sounds as if you too did a great job getting her speedy help when it happened. best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

What a terrifying ordeal for you both. So grateful to hear there's a positive outcome on the horizon. I've always been appreciative of your kind support and interest in my builds and will absolutely be keeping you both in my thoughts.

Here are some cheery spring flowers from my collection, as a reminder of new hope on the horizon even in darker times. Please let us know if there's anything we as a community can do.

IMG_6086.jpeg.4e4a9fb2f9dcdc7540436bedcd2d1e79.jpeg

IMG_6397.jpeg.d56381eb8c6abc83c0f9ac8101b20f1d.jpeg

IMG_6656.jpeg.a167414244ea9b6e2ad5eb1472db118c.jpeg