2 hours ago, chris watton said:

I will use whatever I feel is best for the job, no matter what the material, if it is economically viable. For example, this week I have been working on the Indy stern decoration. Usually, the lighter decoration I do in PE, but this time, I am using PolyBak, and it looks pretty good. The PE on the stern of Indy will be the window frames and lantern brackets (window frames still way to delicate in 64th for PolyBak) 

Look at this for example (Granado). I wish there was some kind of aftermarket products I could buy to improve it. Its going to be painted anyway so why didnt they do it in resin instead? I even need to bend it straight....

20220521_001129.jpg

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

2 hours ago, Vane said:

I wish there was some kind of aftermarket products I could buy to improve it. Its going to be painted anyway so why didnt they do it in resin instead? I even need to bend it straight....

I built this model years ago. I believe Chris designed this kit for Amati's "Victory" range somewhere in the early 2000's, perhaps even late 90's. These castings weren't terrible and, in fact, considerably better than some of the other offerings from unnamed Italian kit manufacturers. One of the main issues with these alloy castings is their ductility; very difficult to bend. I've heard that one should heat the metal, then with gloves gently bend them to suit. Silly process, but there was no alternative ...back in the day.

Comparatively and more contemporary, resin rocks! - whether cast or 3D printed.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Or, some builders may want to consider using each casting as a maquette then making these out of wood like the real thing.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

13 hours ago, Vane said:

Look at this for example (Granado). I wish there was some kind of aftermarket products I could buy to improve it. Its going to be painted anyway so why didnt they do it in resin instead? I even need to bend it straight....

20220521_001129.jpg

And yet they started off so refined, here is a pic of the master carvings for Vanguard, Elephant and Bellerophon. A world away for the semi crushed, undersized white metal castings they turned into.

For digital carvings, printed directly from the original file is always the best way to go, as they're not duplicates of duplicates. 

Figurehead sculptings.jpg

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

OK, I have just about finished the Indefatigable stern area, and am happy with how this looks, not too austere but not too plain.

The PolyBak parts are not glued, but just lying in place. The columns between the lights/windows are 0.6mm pear. 

Ind 69.JPG

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, James H said:

Also remember, the decor, pillars and relief will be ochre on a black background. 

Yeah, forgot to add that. The main Indy model will be fully painted, black and yellow ochre on the hull sides.

logo.jpg

7 hours ago, chris watton said:

And yet they started off so refined, here is a pic of the master carvings for Vanguard, Elephant and Bellerophon. A world away for the semi crushed, undersized white metal castings they turned into.

For digital carvings, printed directly from the original file is always the best way to go, as they're not duplicates of duplicates. 

Figurehead sculptings.jpg

Sounds like their molds are shot which happens to often.  I wonder if they lost the originals and so can't create new molds or it's a question of money... err... profit?  Yes, digital printing is the way to go.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The biggest issue with molds is heat and cleaning after a session. If you don't make a new mold every now and then , the castings continue to degrade in quality.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

On 5/21/2022 at 7:27 AM, chris watton said:

Chris, these master sculpts are very nice, indeed. These are from clay (Sculpy, whatever) I presume, neither resin nor 3D printed as they are on armatures and going on nearly 20 years old. Did you make them or were these done by another Amati vendor?

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

28 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

Chris, these master sculpts are very nice, indeed. These are from clay (Sculpy, whatever) I presume, neither resin nor 3D printed as they are on armatures and going on nearly 20 years old. Did you make them or were these done by another Amati vendor?

They were sculpted by a very talented local woman (UK), one regret is that I never kept her contact details. But I guess I sub contract to digital sculptors now, as all my new stuff is 3-D printed.

logo.jpg

OK, Jim (Hatch) has finished the Ranger model. This is to the last in a range of easy to build fishing craft, and is my 11th kit. And once again, he has done a superb job.

I have decided to put this kit on hold until I can sort better sail sets for it, as the Spanish made sails are quite simply crap. They may be OK for other manufacturers to use, but the contrast between the kit contents and the cheaper sail sets is too striking, so, although I have paid for the sail sets, I will not use them, nor will I be ordering any more of that 'quality' - Ever!

The Ranger model is shown with the Master-Korabel derived sail set (I have one more spare set). I have ordered a batch for Ranger, but due to current circumstances, I have no idea when I will get them. In the meantime, I have been looking for someone more local to produce the sets for me, as a stop gap, but so far, no luck.

I should have a new batch of Saucy Jack sail sets (and Nisha and Erycina) arrive from Master-Korabel within the next 2-3 weeks. These should have been here almost 2 months ago, but the Ukrainian situation has made things 'difficult'. Also difficult to get hold of right now is my machined pear blocks and deadeyes, as these also come from Master-Korabel. Again, I have searched for alternatives to help tide me over, and the best I could find was machined walnut blocks, but they cost the same as the pear - so I do not think my customers would be willing to pay the same for walnut blocks as they would for pear. And I wouldn't blame them.

Ranger complete 1.png

Ranger complete 2.png

logo.jpg

16 minutes ago, thibaultron said:

Now that you have whetted our appetite, can you give us some details and history on Ranger?

Ranger was a Barking Fish Carrier, built in 1864. Unlike the Well Smack (like Saucy Jack), the fish carriers were built for speed, in order to get the cargo to the markets as quickly as possible (The well smacks kept the fish alive, so less need for speed). She had a length overall (hull length only, not including spars) of 74 feet 3 inches and a beam of 16 feet 6 inches.

Because of the hull lines, this one is also one of the very easiest to plank.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Chris, with the Indy costing around the suggested £1k mark, is there any way you can afford to sell it on PayPal’s ‘Buy in 4’? Just that that would make a massive difference for us who are ‘financially challenged’ lol. Really, really, really want this one 🤗 and can’t wait for its release 🤞

1 minute ago, RockinBudgie said:

Chris, with the Indy costing around the suggested £1k mark, is there any way you can afford to sell it on PayPal’s ‘Buy in 4’? Just that that would make a massive difference for us who are ‘financially challenged’ lol. Really, really, really want this one 🤗 and can’t wait for its release 🤞

I am sure that payment by instalment option for PayPal is already set up on my website. :)

logo.jpg

2 minutes ago, RockinBudgie said:

That's PayPal who do that, and not Chris. Depending on your region, that option WILL be available to you.

When you choose that option, Chris is paid in full, and your contract is then with Paypal.

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

OK, Jim (Hatch) has finished the Ranger model. This is to the last in a range of easy to build fishing craft, and is my 11th kit. And once again, he has done a superb job.

I have decided to put this kit on hold until I can sort better sail sets for it, as the Spanish made sails are quite simply crap. They may be OK for other manufacturers to use, but the contrast between the kit contents and the cheaper sail sets is too striking, so, although I have paid for the sail sets, I will not use them, nor will I be ordering any more of that 'quality' - Ever!

The Ranger model is shown with the Master-Korabel derived sail set (I have one more spare set). I have ordered a batch for Ranger, but due to current circumstances, I have no idea when I will get them. In the meantime, I have been looking for someone more local to produce the sets for me, as a stop gap, but so far, no luck.

I should have a new batch of Saucy Jack sail sets (and Nisha and Erycina) arrive from Master-Korabel within the next 2-3 weeks. These should have been here almost 2 months ago, but the Ukrainian situation has made things 'difficult'. Also difficult to get hold of right now is my machined pear blocks and deadeyes, as these also come from Master-Korabel. Again, I have searched for alternatives to help tide me over, and the best I could find was machined walnut blocks, but they cost the same as the pear - so I do not think my customers would be willing to pay the same for walnut blocks as they would for pear. And I wouldn't blame them.

Ranger complete 1.png

Ranger complete 2.png

Ranger looks stunning. Very much look forward to building her when you get the sails and do launch her. 

Dan

Current Build: HM Gun Brig Adder (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Previous Builds: Fifie (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Nisha (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Zulu (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Saucy Jack (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Erycina (Vanguard Models, 1:64), HMS Alert (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Grecian (Vanguard Models, 1:64), Ranger (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

Waiting to be Built: Speedy (Vanguard Models, 1:64)

22 hours ago, chris watton said:

OK, Jim (Hatch) has finished the Ranger model.

The Ranger a gorgeous model and the unique topsail really sets it off.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

1 minute ago, BobG said:

The Ranger a gorgeous model and the unique topsail really sets it off.

He has done a fine job, as usual.

Pity about the sail set situation. I cannot release this kit until this problem is sorted, very frustrating. The Spanish made sails are now in the refuse bin, where they belong, and a hard lesson learned for me.

logo.jpg

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

The Spanish made sails are now in the refuse bin, where they belong, and a hard lesson learned for me.

A hard lesson, perhaps, but I would think definitely the right choice. Having just rigged my model of Lady Isabella with the high quality sails, and given the completed model to my mum for her 70th birthday, the sails were the thing that set the whole model off, gave it a striking silhouette, and made it really stand out. They're beautifully made, and I was very glad I'd paid the extra to have them. It's a big thank you from me for holding to your high standards! I hope your new stock arrives soon. I'm sure any patience required will be well worth it!

20220103223617-b605da5e-me.jpg.a745ad672d5edbfab20916fa4509494f.jpg

3 hours ago, chris watton said:

He has done a fine job, as usual.

Pity about the sail set situation. I cannot release this kit until this problem is sorted, very frustrating. The Spanish made sails are now in the refuse bin, where they belong, and a hard lesson learned for me.

Chris

This is one of the issues with going it on your own - you have to accept the risks as well.  I'm sure nearly everyone on MSW will agree that you are right to ditch the sails in order to maintain your high standards.  It will pay off handsomely in the long run.

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update, I now have Saucy jack sail sets in stock (the premium ones), they finally arrived.

Also had another 20 sets each for Nisha and Erycina, with ranger sets being produced now. Also being produced is a small quantity of premium Alert sail sets (only 8 sets due to high cost). I will have one set available soon, the one shown in the pics. Alert sets will be £120 per set, but they are very expensive and very time consuming to produce, with the bolt ropes being hand sewn.

Alert premium sail set 1.JPG

Alert premium sail set 2.JPG

Alert premium sail set 3.JPG

Alert premium sail set 4.JPG

Alert premium sail set 5.JPG

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been told I must be more of a salesman so:

Starting today, Vanguard Models are having a 10% SUMMER SALE on our own brand model kits. That can represent an extremely nice saving that could more than pay for kit postage! Our Summer Sale runs from 1st July through to 30th September!

10 percent.jpg

logo.jpg