8 hours ago, uss frolick said:

Chris, will the forecastle bulwarks be open, as was in the original plan, or planked over, after the change to a nearly all carronade upper deck armament?

When I have completed most of the hull on my test bed model, I will show it on here and explain my decisions regarding the choices I have made :)

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Happily indicating my maritime ignorance, where was the ship “cut down” to make it a razee, just a gun deck or was there something above the now q deck, poop deck as well?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

7 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Happily indicating my maritime ignorance, where was the ship “cut down” to make it a razee, just a gun deck or was there something above the now q deck, poop deck as well?

According to Robert Gardiner's Frigates of the Napoleonic Wars, Indy (and the other two razee's converted at the same time) had the quarterdeck and forecastle removed, and transforming the old upper gun deck into a frigate style quarterdeck with gangways. But because the great cabin was at this same level, a poop was needed, and the position of the stern and quarter galleries betrayed their origins as a two decker. She must have looked very distinctive when compared to standard frigates in her squadrons, with her oddly positioned stern and quarter lights and of course, being on average around 15 feet longer than a standard 36 and 38, and the full mast and spar plan as a standard 64 (although with the main mast cut down to compensate for the one missing deck).

So Indy does have a certain 'Beefy' look about her.

logo.jpg

OK, I now have the Saucy Jack kit available, as my boxes just arrived, and those were the only thing I was waiting for (apart from premium sail sets)

Saucy Jack – Barking Well-Smack – VANGUARD MODELS

All kits with optional sail sets now have a sail set included, with the premium sails as an optional extra. I am including the 'standard' sail sets at no extra cost, as the quality is not what I expected and do not expect my customers to spend a Penny on them. This has been a disappointing lesson for me - sail sets made by the same people who produce for other manufacturers do not 'gel' with the overall quality of the kits I offer.

The 'premium' sail sets are produced my Master-Korabel of Russia, and I was expecting a full shipment of all sail sets for all kits that have them. Unfortunately, yesterday, I only received sets for the Fifie and Zulu, and not Nisha, Erycina and Saucy Jack. I am OK for Nisha and Erycina for now, but would have liked the Saucy Jack sails available for the release of the kit, today. I am currently awaiting an ETA for these, but they are being produced and they will be available in the next few weeks.

The picture shows the model with the premium sails. I have two sample sets made and sent when developing these kits, and then order the production quantities soon after. These were ordered in February, so under normal circumstances, I would have had these available as stock already.

SJ 1.jpg

SJ 2.jpg

logo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, little update.

Designs for Indefatigable are now about 85% complete. The pictures shown are of the pre-prototype, so looks very rough as usual, as many parts have been glued, ripped off and new parts added in place - and is built for part checking only (just like Sphinx). There are still a few mistakes on this prototype model, so does not entirely reflect the final designs.

I have also included a drawing I did of the basic outline of what I think Indy would have looked like during most of her career. The only concession I have made is keeping the forecastle timberheads, rather than berthing up this area, with the decision based purely on aesthetics (plus the plans show this anyway.

What I did change is the quarter bulwarks. I know she had 7 gun ports per side and three (with spare chase port) at the bow, so the 7th port had to be worked in, and this meant altering the bulwarks to the same height. I have placed the additional 12 pounder long chase guns right at the front, as I could not see Pellew being chased, more the chaser...

I have tried to keep the poop profile as low as I can. Pellew didn't even want the poop at all, and would have been happy to have his cabin on the main gun deck and Indy fitted with sloop like quarter badges (would have looked odd..). With this in mind, I have kept the poop profile to a minimum, as I am sure Pellew would not have requested anything that would have increased windage. I will add 'iron stanchions' to this area, and that's it.

I have the bow area to design, which will be the last of the main areas, and then I need to do all the photo etched parts. (Oh, and of course, a figurehead and stern decoration - which will be minimal). For the first time, I decided to go with laser cut and engraved columns for in between all lights/windows, and I am very happy with how they turned out. Channels are made by laminating three patterns together, a wider and thicker centre and not so wide and thinner top and bottom.

You will be able to build this without the open slots in the decks if you so wish, they are not mandatory. The stand is 4mm acetate and a 2mm duel colour engraved nameplate.

ETA - Forgot to mention, I have moved the poop skylight back by 3 beams, as I realised it was too close the edge of the poop, so it is now over the great cabin, and not in the position shown.

Indy 1.jpg

Indy 2.jpg

Indy 3.jpg

Indy 4.jpg

Indy 5.jpg

Indy 6.jpg

Indy 7.jpg

Indy 8.jpg

Indy 9.jpg

Indy 10.jpg

Indy 11.jpg

Indy 12.jpg

Indy 13.jpg

Indy 14.jpg

Indy 15.jpg

Indy 16.jpg

Indy 17.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

Forgot to add my initial side profile I did before I started designs..

The production model will be shown with coppered bottom, and fully painted sides in black and yellow ochre

(The figurehead is from Vanguard, and used as a placeholder until I get her own made)

Indy initial design profile.jpg

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

2 hours ago, chris watton said:

I have also included a drawing I did of the basic outline of what I think Indy would have looked like during most of her career. The only concession I have made is keeping the forecastle timberheads, rather than berthing up this area, with the decision based purely on aesthetics (plus the plans show this anyway.

Chris, I love your descriptions of the design process, since your work in bringing this new kit subject to market stands in sharp contrast to the efforts of Certain Unnamed Foreign Enterprises who somehow only manage to design "new" kits for which detailed plans just so happen to already have been published by AOTS, ANCRE, or Seawatch. 🙄

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

15 minutes ago, Oboship said:

"...so looks very rough as usual" 👀

You call this rough??

Best regards
Uwe

Well, relatively, yes, very rough. It has been built just to check parts - planking took almost a week, but I needed to plank it full to check all designed parts.

One thing, as I mentioned, there will be quite a few changes for the production prototype that Jim will have. Nothing major, more refinements. For example, the waist rail will be in two layers of strip, not one as shown, and as already mentioned, the poop skylight.

All hull detail above upper deck level is pre cut.  The poop barricade is my idea, and I have integrated belaying racks either side, in lieu of the missing mizzen bitts. The flag lockers at the stern will be populated with PE parts (square compartments).

For the quarter gallery tile effect, I have opted for laser cut black card. I think they are much easier to apply than PE parts, using PVA wood glue, and look better too.

I was not 100% sure about the poop step gangways, should I keep them, or have the steps directly attached to the poop? problem is, if I do that, the steps are very close to a 42 pounder, so kept with the platforms.

As Indefatigable was stationed in home waters at the beginning of her career, I do wonder if she would have had all of the latest 'innovations' early on, like quarter davits. Bet she did...

Anyway, still a lot to do. I will send Jim the production parts in the next couple of weeks, once I have nailed the bow area.

logo.jpg

WOW that is a huge ship! The Sphinx is so small beside this. The Inde has a quite a bit of width also, definitely has the bones of a ship of the line.  

15 minutes ago, BenD said:

WOW that is a huge ship! The Sphinx is so small beside this. The Inde has a quite a bit of width also, definitely has the bones of a ship of the line.  

yeah - Illustrates the world of difference between Post Ship and a Super Frigate! (Indy being around 15 feet longer along the gun deck than standard 38's of her day)

Am sure it has been mentioned elsewhere, but I will be included some of BenD's excellent rope in the Indy kit, most notably the anchor hawse and the larger diameter mast stays.

Also forgot to mention, the stern name and depth markings are waterslide decals this time. Name being yellow ochre and depth markings are in white - there will be two sets for each kit (and already have them here with me), as I know mistakes can happen when applying.

Edited by chris watton

logo.jpg

O'boy, I would love to have Indy in my collection. 

What a beauty!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

6 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Full masts, yards and rigging? 

I have never designed a model ship kit without mast and rig. Indy is no exception - I did mention just a couple of posts up that mast stays will have BenD's rope. :)

logo.jpg

Holy smokes...that model is incredibly impressive! Outstanding work, Chris! 👏

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Beautiful model, Chris even if it's just a build/engineering prototype.  That model is going to attract a lot of attention and hopefully sales for you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

11 minutes ago, BobG said:

Holy smokes...that model is incredibly impressive! Outstanding work, Chris! 👏

8 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Beautiful model, Chris even if it's just a build/engineering prototype.  That model is going to attract a lot of attention and hopefully sales for you.

Cheers both!

I hope so, too, I have wanted to do this one since Agamemnon, 23 years ago, so want to do the subject the justice it deserves.

logo.jpg

Chris, I built your Agamemnon some fifteen years ago a couple of years after I retired from work and enjoyed every minute of it. Indefatigable looks like being an incredible model and I wish you every success with the forthcoming kit.

425420854_Agamemnon016.thumb.jpeg.0b90b6ad72300d4b79a78e1519ff3745.jpeg

Going up to Bahrain on the Caltex Cannonball

42 minutes ago, mugje said:

That Indy is a beautiful design! I wish i had more money on my bank account! 😮 

This is always the risk when 'pushing the boat out' with kits, especially the larger ones. They cost a hell of a lot to develop in time, energy and materials. However, this will not be released for another 6-8 months at least. Hate to think of what the final kit box weight is..

logo.jpg

16 minutes ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

I guess I should start saving up my pieces of eight for the release date.

Right there with you. After watching the Hornblower series like 4 or 5 times, there is no ship model I would like to build more.

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

I think the build time for this kit will be an average of around 2 years, with the end result being a very nice scale model of one of the most famous of frigates.

A lot has changed since starting the designs, and a lot of areas have been 'upgraded'. For example, the forecastle and quarterdeck beams were originally in 6mm MDF (as I initially never intended to have the open decks option), and for the kit, they will be 6mm thick pear. There will be many 3-d printed parts, but only where they benefit the overall appearance of the completed model. The belfry for example, is a one piece print, with only the wooden bell cross beam and brass bell being separate. Anchors were originally done in MDF, but are now 3-d printed parts. Cannon are correct in scale and shape, and not 'about right, give or take..' - and the quarter galleries have simple seats of ease!

Today I changed the poop arrangement slightly. As I moved the skylight back so that it is now over the great cabin, I saw no reason not to add mizzen bitts and belaying cross rail, so I did, and deleted the belaying rails that were on the poop barricades. Also, I deleted the coamings for the Top Tackle and Pump Scuttles, and moved the gratings to the 0.8mm pear sheet - as I realised these never had raised coamings.

Tomorrow I shall start on the various cleats for the bulwarks and decks, and then move onto the bow area. Once this is done, I need to number everything up, make a parts list, and start cutting for Jim. After this, I will carry on with all the PE and work out a figurehead and the modest stern décor for the Indy.

I don't think this Indy will look very much like the one on the TV series...

logo.jpg

The price will not be a problem, space for the finished ship, and the time for building it will.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!