Amati 1:64 HMS Victory - LATEST NEWS

vossy

1 hour ago, vossy said:

Hey Chris, are you able to post more pictures of your Amati Victory in various stages? Totally understand if for moral/legal reasons you cant, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

Cheers

Chris

Here you go, some I don't think I have shown before..

vic 1.JPG

vic 2.JPG

vic 3.JPG

vic 4.JPG

vic 5.JPG

vic 6.JPG

vic 7.JPG

vic 8.JPG

vic 9.JPG

vic 10.JPG

vic 11.JPG

vic 12.JPG

vic 13.JPG

vic 14.JPG

vic 15.JPG

vic 16.JPG

vic 17.JPG

vic 18.JPG

vic 19.JPG

vic 20.JPG

vic 21.JPG

vic 22.JPG

vic 23.JPG

vic 24.JPG

vic 25.JPG

vic 26.JPG

vic 27.JPG

vic 28.JPG

vic 29.JPG

vic 30.JPG

vic 31.JPG

vic 32.JPG

vic 33.JPG

vic 34.JPG

vic 35.JPG

vic 36.JPG

vic 37.JPG

vic 38.JPG

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

4 minutes ago, James H said:

....hold in there!!!

Doing my best James! Just wish I could actually see the real thing in Portsmouth. What a piece of living history you guys have over there. Please keep us informed on any updates re: the Amati version of Chris's build. Thank You.

Cheers

Chris

13 minutes ago, vossy said:

Doing my best James! Just wish I could actually see the real thing in Portsmouth. What a piece of living history you guys have over there. Please keep us informed on any updates re: the Amati version of Chris's build. Thank You.

Cheers

Chris

I've spent time pouring over the actual Caldercraft kit a few years ago. A modeller friend of mine lent me his for a couple of months, and the only reason I didn't buy was because I was looking at a house move at the time. I'm fairly well versed on the construction. 

I'm also in receipt of a mind-blowing quantity of photos, plans, drawings, instructions for the forthcoming Amati. 

In my humble opinion, there isn't a comparison. This one blows it away in terms of detail, and the information I have on accuracy. 

Knowing what is now coming, and the sheer expense of something like this, don't sell yourself short. ;)  

Looks really awesome!  A 63" finished kit would have my wife making me live in the garage though.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

No, but I'd probably at least need a keg orator :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

That amount of detail is super incredible for a kit and especially for one that size.  Amazing, Chris.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The current position is that I need to build Amati another Victory for their new style of instruction manual. I'll have the parts around Sept/Oct. From there, I'll do a build log (of sorts) here and as soon as complete (minus masts as those are done via drawings), Amati will compile their photo manual from what I send them (pics and text).

They'll need to get their PE and laser cutting made, plus boxes, fittings, plans etc. Then you'll see a release. I presume that they will be ordering in their materials in the latter stages of the build, once they know no changes need to be made.

NOTE: Renamed the topic title to reflect the discussion on the Amati kit.

Just out of curiosity and maybe you dont want to answer (fully understandable if so):

1) Why did Caldercraft not go with a 1:64 as the rest of the Nelson Navy series?

2) Why did Caldercraft simply stop designing New kits?

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

23 minutes ago, Vane said:

Just out of curiosity and maybe you dont want to answer (fully understandable if so):

1) Why did Caldercraft not go with a 1:64 as the rest of the Nelson Navy series?

2) Why did Caldercraft simply stop designing New kits?

Chris already answered the first one, and that was because it was what he was asked to do.

No one knows why they aren't releasing new designs. You could email and ask them I suppose.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:04 PM, James H said:

The current position is that I need to build Amati another Victory for their new style of instruction manual. I'll have the parts around Sept/Oct. From there, I'll do a build log (of sorts) here and as soon as complete (minus masts as those are done via drawings), Amati will compile their photo manual from what I send them (pics and text).

They'll need to get their PE and laser cutting made, plus boxes, fittings, plans etc. Then you'll see a release. I presume that they will be ordering in their materials in the latter stages of the build, once they know no changes need to be made.

NOTE: Renamed the topic title to reflect the discussion on the Amati kit.

James, forgive me if I am interpreting this wrongly, but does it mean that until you build the Amati version of the 1:64 kit, and they (Amati), then develop the PE. masts etc. we will not see this released? This could take a considerable amount of time, depending on how fast you build of course. Would I be not far off the mark to suggest a couple of years at least?

Cheers

Chris

10 hours ago, vossy said:

James, forgive me if I am interpreting this wrongly, but does it mean that until you build the Amati version of the 1:64 kit, and they (Amati), then develop the PE. masts etc. we will not see this released? This could take a considerable amount of time, depending on how fast you build of course. Would I be not far off the mark to suggest a couple of years at least?

Cheers

Chris

The kit is entirely developed and they have a manual, but they want the manual re-made into their current style. That means them sending me the parts and at least building and completing the hull, and me sending them the corrected/annotated photos and the text to go with it. They also want me to double-check specifics on the build too.

I don't think you're far off the mark with a couple of years, but at least it's now happening whereas a couple of months ago, there was a distinct possibility you wouldn't have seen this for much longer....if at all. 

There is an upside to two years though.....time to get some cash set aside for it!

9 hours ago, James H said:

The kit is entirely developed and they have a manual, but they want the manual re-made into their current style. That means them sending me the parts and at least building and completing the hull, and me sending them the corrected/annotated photos and the text to go with it. They also want me to double-check specifics on the build too.

I don't think you're far off the mark with a couple of years, but at least it's now happening whereas a couple of months ago, there was a distinct possibility you wouldn't have seen this for much longer....if at all. 

There is an upside to two years though.....time to get some cash set aside for it!

cash isn't the problem. father time waits for no man!

Received the email shown below last week, should be the definitive kit.

Hi Reg,
thanks for your inquiry. At the moment  all I can say is that we have start
this work but, since its dimension, it will takes a lot of time.
I hope to have this new kit in 2021 splitted in 3 or 4 kits because of the
high price.

We will keep all modelers informed.

Best Regards

Emilio Marletti

Amati Spa

Reg

15 hours ago, FatFingers said:

Chris Watton's older post about his model of HMS Victory with Amati is here

It's not only about Victory, includes some temping other models, including a very brief teaser about HMS Bellona.

I do have a 64th scale Bellona earmarked for my new range of kits, after buying copies of the original plans.

I think Amati should make up 25 full victory kits, for those that will pay, and then think about the 4 parts. May be better if they split it deck by deck.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

56 minutes ago, chris watton said:

I do have a 64th scale Bellona earmarked for my new range of kits, after buying copies of the original plans.

I think Amati should make up 25 full victory kits, for those that will pay, and then think about the 4 parts. May be better if they split it deck by deck.

I’d like to see Bellona at 1:64, I’m also up for a full Amati Victory kit rather than instalments when released - tomorrow would be fine only if ☹️

Gary

U can get the 3rd rate HMS Agamemnon in 1/64 for about 900 Euros in UK.... Victory is probably 50% bigger. It should not be rocket science. 😛

Edited by Vane

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64)