Amati 1:64 HMS Victory - LATEST NEWS

vossy

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

only this time i think it might be to expensive, 

No doubt, but I know Amati want to bring in the cost so it's as little as possible extra £/€ than the Caldercraft in 1:72.

The good news is you have time to save whilst I get the building done!

27 minutes ago, BobG said:

Wow...what are the overall dimensions of this model?

This one is around 1.6m long, height approx 106cm. I'd have to ask @chris watton about beam and width of main yards (and to check my other numbers!)

The overall dimensions I have on my master drawings are:

Length - 1582mm (includes bowsprit and gaff/boom)

Height - 1061mm

Width -  590mm (Main yard and stunsail booms)

Hull only length - 1066mm

I have attached a side cutaway profile of the kit, as the main question people ask is why would they want to buy this over other model kits of the same...

Vic side cutaway profile.jpg

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

With all that detailed interior, there should be a kit variation to show it by not planking one of the sides. It would be a shame to let it go to waste, known only to the builder.

Chris/James

Have you any idea at which points the kit might be broken up into several kits ? 

For me the problem is not the expense, but the room at 160 cm.

Richard 

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

4 hours ago, chris watton said:

Length - 1582mm (includes bowsprit and gaff/boom)

Height - 1061mm

Width -  590mm (Main yard and stunsail booms)

Hull only length - 1066mm

Holy smokes! 😲 

I'd need to add a room to our house in order to display it! 🤑

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

14 minutes ago, Suzdal said:

With all that detailed interior, there should be a kit variation to show it by not planking one of the sides. It would be a shame to let it go to waste, known only to the builder.

Chris/James

Have you any idea at which points the kit might be broken up into several kits ? 

For me the problem is not the expense, but the room at 160 cm.

Richard 

There is no law preventing you from not planking certain areas, as the hull structure is more than strong enough to not be clad in planking.

As for how the kit may be broken up, I have no idea, as I no longer work for Amati. Personally, I would not break the kit up - it would be futile breaking it up into hull and masts/rig, as the former is 95% of the material expense.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

8 hours ago, James H said:

No doubt, but I know Amati want to bring in the cost so it's as little as possible extra £/€ than the Caldercraft in 1:72.

Will this mean compromises somewhere down the line?

Got a space picked out to display mine, front and centre in a bay window at the front of the house.  Although the Admiral keeps talking about house downsizing, I’ll have to work on dragging my feet on that for a while yet!

Gary

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Will this mean compromises somewhere down the line?

Not that I'm aware of. For example, the cannon were made in various sizes and specifically for this ship. You couldn't really make them generic. Same with the gun carts, as they are designed to plug into the decks at an even distance from the bulwarks. 

It's not an easy model to make compromises on, so I can't envisage anything really changing from the initial design.

1 hour ago, BobG said:

Holy smokes! 😲 

I'd need to add a room to our house in order to display it! 🤑

its huge 

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

So the difference from Caldercraft is the larger size and the interior details, which only will be seen if the hull side is open?  With the Caldercraft one in the stash, just wondering what the main differences are.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

So the difference from Caldercraft is the larger size and the interior details, which only will be seen if the hull side is open?  With the Caldercraft one in the stash, just wondering what the main differences are.

A resumé? Ok, bear in mind that I once had the Caldercraft kit in my possession for over a year, and now am very familiar with the Amati.

• Better quality materials and around three times more of it by my reckoning.
  • No dummy barrels
  • More realistic decoration, especially the stern scroll work, stern windows that have an option to be open, so you can look through them and see the gun decks.
  • Better boats and a much more robust hull assembly
  • Integrated gun ports so there's no chance of ever getting any gun port out of position.
  • Generally, a more up-to-date design philosophy.

You can model the Amati as you see fit, leaving open side planking to see the interiors etc.

By my reckoning, this will be the largest commercially available model kit of a period ship the is available, and no one will be disappointed.  

44 minutes ago, James H said:

A resumé? Ok, bear in mind that I once had the Caldercraft kit in my possession for over a year, and now am very familiar with the Amati.

• Better quality materials and around three times more of it by my reckoning.
  • No dummy barrels
  • More realistic decoration, especially the stern scroll work, stern windows that have an option to be open, so you can look through them and see the gun decks.
  • Better boats and a much more robust hull assembly
  • Integrated gun ports so there's no chance of ever getting any gun port out of position.
  • Generally, a more up-to-date design philosophy.

You can model the Amati as you see fit, leaving open side planking to see the interiors etc.

By my reckoning, this will be the largest commercially available model kit of a period ship the is available, and no one will be disappointed.  

Thank you, that's really helpful.  I'm sure others also had similar questions.  Now we know.  Greatly appreciate it!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

A few thoughts after reading through the thread:

1.  The framing looks really impressive on the Amati.  It looks well designed to not only provide structural support, but also aid in the design of the hull when it comes to correctly placing gunports, etc.  Using MDF is also a great advantage for the kit.  I greatly preferred the MDF used in the Amati Pegasus hull over the plywood and other wood used in other kits.  MDF is incredibly strong, flat, with no flex.  It's harder to work and you have to be careful with the dust and fumes from machining it, but all that is outweighed by the structural benefits in my opinion.  With a model of this size and weight (no dummy barrels, etc.), a solid skeleton is going to be critical.

2.  My guess is that the increase in size over the 1/64 Caldercraft won't necessarily be the primary driver of cost differences.  It will probably be on the fittings.  If the Amati doesn't use dummy barrels, my guess is that the price differential will be fairly significant.

3.  I know that they have been talking about the Amati Victory for years now.  I think it's good that they are taking their time to get things right with this kit.  Remember the Model Shipways Essex?  That seemed to have been rolled out too quickly and from what I was reading on here, appeared to be a disaster with fit and other issues.

When it finally comes out, this is going to a pretty spectacular kit if it follows the top quality design, components, plans, seen in their other kits like the Pegasus - just with a much grander subject.

Mike

There are few interesting kits pending for imminent release but this Amati product looks like it should be the flagship of kits. I hope it ends up meeting with every ones expectations once it hits the market. It will be a monster of a box and keep many patrons busy for some length of time. I hope to be one of those patrons.

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Great topic, marvelous potential Victory. In my opinion it would be a real shame if this first class design has the quality of its materials compromised by Amati driving the price as low as possible to compete with Caldercraft's Victory.  

The marketing/business side of kit manufacturing is very interesting. I know little about it.  However,  my assumption, based on my own limited experiences and reading many of the forums here, is that most of the time quality will trump price. 

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

Italy: High-quality. UK: Excellent engineering. U.S.: Marketing (MSW/NRG).

The perfect combo...

😁

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

On 6/28/2020 at 12:02 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

A few thoughts after reading through the thread:

1.  The framing looks really impressive on the Amati.  It looks well designed to not only provide structural support, but also aid in the design of the hull when it comes to correctly placing gunports, etc.  Using MDF is also a great advantage for the kit.  I greatly preferred the MDF used in the Amati Pegasus hull over the plywood and other wood used in other kits.  MDF is incredibly strong, flat, with no flex.  It's harder to work and you have to be careful with the dust and fumes from machining it, but all that is outweighed by the structural benefits in my opinion.  With a model of this size and weight (no dummy barrels, etc.), a solid skeleton is going to be critical.

2.  My guess is that the increase in size over the 1/64 Caldercraft won't necessarily be the primary driver of cost differences.  It will probably be on the fittings.  If the Amati doesn't use dummy barrels, my guess is that the price differential will be fairly significant.

3.  I know that they have been talking about the Amati Victory for years now.  I think it's good that they are taking their time to get things right with this kit.  Remember the Model Shipways Essex?  That seemed to have been rolled out too quickly and from what I was reading on here, appeared to be a disaster with fit and other issues.

When it finally comes out, this is going to a pretty spectacular kit if it follows the top quality design, components, plans, seen in their other kits like the Pegasus - just with a much grander subject.

I also forgot. Unlike the Caldercraft kit, as excellent as it is, you will be able to furnish and fit out the cabins at the stern., as the decks run right through to this area. No furnishings come with the kit, but imagine putting some cabinets, tables, chairs and LED lanterns in there!

Maybe there's a way I can do this without compromising anything for Amati. If I can, then I will, but it won't be seen in the manual....only on MSW!

Caldercraft:

unnamed.jpg

Amati:

1.jpg

2.jpg

James,

How about leaving one of the sides some what open and having some deck furniture on the orlap deck (no I was not thinking of Nelson's death scene) and on some of the gun decks. Withe a kit like this it would be a pity to not show off some of the internal features.

Richard

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

1 minute ago, Suzdal said:

James,

How about leaving one of the sides some what open and having some deck furniture on the orlap deck (no I was not thinking of Nelson's death scene) and on some of the gun decks. Withe a kit like this it would be a pity to not show off some of the internal features.

Richard

No reason you can’t do that. I won’t be able to with mine as it’s for the manual, but I’ll be following the builds that eventually begin on MSW. 

7 hours ago, James H said:

I also forgot. Unlike the Caldercraft kit, as excellent as it is, you will be able to furnish and fit out the cabins at the stern., as the decks run right through to this area. No furnishings come with the kit, but imagine putting some cabinets, tables, chairs and LED lanterns in there!

Please do that in your build log, James. It would be outstanding to follow you as you added these wonderful details and lighting to the model.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild