Amati 1:64 HMS Victory - LATEST NEWS

vossy

3 minutes ago, BobG said:

Please do that in your build log, James. It would be outstanding to follow you as you added these wonderful details and lighting to the model.

I might be able to get away with some stuff that won't be seen in the manuals, such as furniture.....and possibly even lighting if I hide it surreptitiously enough. 

On 6/27/2020 at 10:49 PM, James H said:

The ramblings of a demented, delusional and piracy-advocating moron...

See for yourself, and make your own mind up...

Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 22.47.08.png

Er, yes Dave Stevens...ok! 

1.jpg

cant help but laugh at those guys on SOS. They realised they weren't getting anywhere trying to cast doubts on whether kit would be released or quality of design so they've shifted tack to slating it because Framework is MDF and it might warp if it gets wet, ( sounds like they play with their models in the bath 🙂 ), and the cutting edge superior Chinese kits use plywood 🙂

Matt

Current Builds

HMS Winchelsea by Mnewsholme

Duchess of Kingston by Mnewsholme Vanguard models 1:64

Previous Builds

Lady Eleanor Vanguard models 1:64 completed

Just now, vaddoc said:

😁  I think my use of English failed me here

I mean, what is the advantage of mdf over plywood?

I was fooling with you, couldn't resist.

MDF has much tighter tolerances, whereas ply tolerances are comical.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

1 hour ago, mnewsholme said:

cant help but laugh at those guys on SOS. They realised they weren't getting anywhere trying to cast doubts on whether kit would be released or quality of design so they've shifted tack to slating it because Framework is MDF and it might warp if it gets wet, ( sounds like they play with their models in the bath 🙂 ), and the cutting edge superior Chinese kits use plywood 🙂

You nailed it, absolutely. If you can't have a slice of the pie, then just complain that you don't like the flavour. 

No doubt they'll welcome this kit once ZHL has pirated it and they are guiding folk to the pirate product page.

I see you're from God's own county ;) My favourite shire.

36 minutes ago, vaddoc said:

Chris, do you know why mdf will be used and not plywood? 

MDF has more consistent tolerances than ply....even some of the very best quality. The Vic, for example, could not have been designed in the way it was if it wasn't for those tight tolerances of the MDF. It has several hundred interlocking joints. Chris will tell you than ply can vary quite a lot in thickness from batch to batch and even across the same sheet. Accumulation of tolerance errors would have made this model a nightmare with the modeller opening up slots etc. 

I know MDF isn't good when it gets wet, but do some guys build there models in a swimming pool or shower? What's this about it coming to pieces with glue? Absolute rubbish. I've used very thin MDF and PVA with no problems. I know kids who use thin MDF to make things with tons of glue, and they don't have problems either. Odd eh? 

Also this stuff about it not being suitable for modelling (structural). Well, you've seen the Victory prototype, Chris's other designs, so it is suitable. Some folks don't like MDF and that's fine. You hear some moan about the dust from it being nasty....well those folks need to check out the hazards associated with the resins in the timber dust they create normally, including the resins bonding ply. Several countries, for example, class all wood dust as carcinogenic. 

The simple solution is don't breathe in any dust you create, be it timber, ply, or MDF. 

25 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Yes :)

Haha! Chris has explained this quite a few times, so I've just done it again for him.

21 minutes ago, vaddoc said:

😁  I think my use of English failed me here

I mean, what is the advantage of mdf over plywood?

See above ;) 

I was scheduled to be in Southhampton for a cruise to Portugal and Spain this September. We arranged our trip to be there a day early, I pre-purchased tickets to see HMS Victory (and still have the non-refundable tickets). Thanks to Covid, no trip - cruise canceled. I really want to walk aboard HMS Victory, maybe someday.

As to the model, I'm sure its amazing but I barely found a place to display Vanguard, so I'll just have to enjoy it through other's build logs.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Wow...I'm on the tail-end of my first build with a 1/32 Amati Fifie on deck (looks like a wonderful kit itself) but this model looks absolutely spectacular. Way out of my league at my current skill level but spectacular nonetheless! Can't wait so see this beauty built when James tackles it.

19 minutes ago, PJG said:

Wow...I'm on the tail-end of my first build with a 1/32 Amati Fifie on deck (looks like a wonderful kit itself)

I hope you will make a build log for your Amati Fifie build. I would enjoy following a build of that boat.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

20 hours ago, mnewsholme said:

... and play with themselves on the internet. That "other" forum is disgusting; a minority cult.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

21 hours ago, James H said:

I see you're from God's own county ;) My favourite shire.

Small world James. Drove past Horwich just a week or so back 🙂

Matt

Current Builds

Previous Builds

22 hours ago, James H said:

Hope you wiped your feet on the way out 😄

Standard practice to wipe our feet whenever we return to Gods county 🙂

Matt

Current Builds

Previous Builds

So there will be 31 plans includes.. + a photo manual with written instructions? Seems dummy proof:blink: ! I guess its still an expert level kit? Just wondering what makes a kit like the victory an expert level kit... I would say that with this kind of information includes in the kit and a hell of a lot of patience.. it would be ok to build for even non expert level builders? Or am I mistaking here?

15 minutes ago, Articcie said:

So there will be 31 plans includes.. + a photo manual with written instructions? Seems dummy proof:blink: ! I guess its still an expert level kit? Just wondering what makes a kit like the victory an expert level kit... I would say that with this kind of information includes in the kit and a hell of a lot of patience.. it would be ok to build for even non expert level builders? Or am I mistaking here?

I think that's true of a lot of kits. If one has basic skills and can follow directions, and the directions are well-written, anybody ought to be able to build one. I think the skill level ratings really apply to the amount of patience and determination it takes to complete a given kit and the kit manufacturers use them as "insurance" so when somebody buys an expensive complex kit that's going to take them ages to build, they have an excuse if the failed builder tries to blame them. 

But what do I know, I'm not a kit manufacturer. What I do know, though, is that the quality of the finished product is always a result of the builder's abilities, no matter how long it takes or how many parts the kit has.

56 minutes ago, Articcie said:

There'll be more than one manual too. Maybe 2 or 3 manuals, depending on how Amati format it. I will try to make it as foolproof as possible, and Chris's design is such that it lends itself to ease of building. I think if you've got a few other kits under your belt, this is within a modeller's reach. 

Oh, and...

:sign:

6 minutes ago, Articcie said:

Thank you James for the warm welcome and your comment :) I will watch close to your build of this prototype, and if the time is there and my pockets are deep enough, I most likely will obtain this kit :D 

I hope you'll enjoy the build. Any questions about it, and maybe anything I've not shown or later stages, feel free to ask.

8 hours ago, Articcie said:

The concept of "expert" is somewhat vague.   There'really isn't a standard but more one of "what do you as a builder feel you are?".   Every manufacturer has their own idea of "level".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 hours ago, mtaylor said:

The concept of "expert" is somewhat vague.   There'really isn't a standard but more one of "what do you as a builder feel you are?".   Every manufacturer has their own idea of "level".

I think that sometimes, because the model is something like 'Victory', large and expensive, there is a tendency to call it 'Expert', when in fact, if you've built a few smaller models, you could probably tackle it. Sort of like 'Intermediate'.

Hoi James,

I’am reading about the Victory.

A lot of people have say it, it’s gonna be huge!

But a beauty!

Anja knows that i always want to build one Victory.

And i have seen this one now and this is the one that’s gonne be.

Next year i work for the company for 40 years and i will recieve a money bonus ( i hope i still get it with this corona s**t)

So take your time and i will sit at the front seat to see what you are doing.

Sjors

1 minute ago, Sjors said:

Hoi James,

I’am reading about the Victory.

A lot of peoplehave say it, it’s gonna be huge!

But a beauty!

Anja knows that i always want to build one Victory.

And i have seen this one now and this is the one that’s gonne be.

Next year i work for the company for 40 years and i will recieve a money bonus ( i hope i still get it with this corona s**t)

So take your time and i will sit at the front seat to watch you.

Sjors

You'll have about 2yrs from when I start to build this, to it being released, so you'll need to make sure that money is well looked after!

10 hours ago, James H said:

You'll have about 2yrs from when I start to build this, to it being released, so you'll need to make sure that money is well looked after!

The countdown starts now .......😆

Frames finished?

Sjors