Amati 1:64 HMS Victory - LATEST NEWS

vossy

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, some news.

The laser and photo-etch parts are now being produced. As around 7yrs had elapsed since Chris completed this, the laser cutting company had made changes to its equipment, meaning the sheets had to be a different size. Some work was done to move all the parts around to fit the new sizes. There were a few questions about certain aspects of the design, but we are now there.

Amati hope to have the parts (both laser and PE) with them in around 10 days, so if that goes to plan, I should have everything in 2-3 weeks, and I can start a build log here as I create the work needed for the instruction manuals. There will be at least two shiny, perfect-bound books for this....possibly three. Having spent 7 months pouring over Chris's original manual, I think there will be around 1500+ images needed, perhaps more. That will be interlaced with some extracts from the drawings too. 

I know many folk are wanting this kit, so I promise to work as quickly as I can to complete everything up to where masting is needed. Masting and rig will be done via the plan sheets, as is traditional. 

IMG_0303.jpeg

10 hours ago, James H said:

Haha! I'm not building it in a pub! 🤣

It would be pure bliss if I could build in a pub! Not sure how accurate things would be but, then again, I probably wouldn't care! 🤪

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the update. Maybe you have explained it earlier, but what needs to be done to get this kit on the shelves? 

As I understand you need to build another prototype and record the process thouroghly for a new manual. But what about the design? Is it  completely finish or are you still making changes? And once finished, can Amati easily ramp up production of the kit itself?

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

1 hour ago, Vane said:

Thanks for the update. Maybe you have explained it earlier, but what needs to be done to get this kit on the shelves? 

As I understand you need to build another prototype and record the process thouroghly for a new manual. But what about the design? Is it  completely finish or are you still making changes? And once finished, can Amati easily ramp up production of the kit itself?

You are right....all that needs to be done is for me to get the new production prototype built. There were small changes to this over the one Chris built as he opted to improve things further as he built it, but was too late to include in his original manual, these changes are now done. The model, as it stands, is now finished in design, so with me completing the manuals, there's no reason why Amati can't get the parts put into production.

21 minutes ago, Paul Jarman said:

What colour scheme will be recommended? Will it be the new paint job?

Or will it be the yellow ochre one?

Paul 

My model needs to stay consistent in appearance to Chris's original design prototype, so it will be painted in the same colours and not the new ones. Chris's model will be on the box art, so it would look strange for the one in the manual to be a different colour. Remember, the new colour is evidence from their latest findings, but still, as far as I'm aware, not definitive. No one really knows the exact shade, so I'll stick to convention. However, I will add some notes in there about the alternative new colour she's painted in, to give the modeller an option, and hopefully provide a reference on what paint to use. 

18 hours ago, Mpfarrer2 said:

James,

I am one of the folks wanting this kit as soon as it comes out, I would like to thank you for the update and I am looking forward to the build log!

Mike

I can promise that you'll love this kit. When it does become available, I hope you'll share your build here. Chris Watton is a member here too, and as we'll have both built this, there will be plenty of help if you need it.

Oh, by the way....

:sign:

Re. pub in Seahouses, Northumberland. I notice your location is Horwich, Lancs. Did you use Google translator ? or a temporary displaced Geordie?

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

3 minutes ago, stuglo said:

Re. pub in Seahouses, Northumberland. I notice your location is Horwich, Lancs. Did you use Google translator ? or a temporary displaced Geordie?

No, I was there a couple of weeks ago on a surprise treat for my 50th. My wife knew I'd like to be next to the sea in a pub selling great whisky and stuffed with sailing ephemera. 🤪

what no "broon" !!

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

19 hours ago, stuglo said:

what no "broon" !!

LOL,when I lived in Northumberland many years ago it was called "newkie broon" or more usually "Lunatic Soup". Visited the Scottish and Newcastle brewery once and looked inside a vat of the brew fermenting,80 odd thousand gallons of it 😵 😵 Heady stuff.

Dave :dancetl6:

As  poor students "broon" was expensive, so we bought the cheaper "amber" at 1/8 s for drinking- "broon" for special occasions. Also, most pubs had separate as well as mixed bars.  Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

• 3 months later...

Well, some lesser-informed types think this kit is just mythical and they are unlikely to see it in 5-10yrs. 

We know different, and present the challenger to the crown for the Ultimate kit for HMS Victory. Amati now have all the laser and PE parts ready to ship to me and as soon as everything gets here, I'll start my promised build log. 

If you were thinking of getting a Victory kit, you might just want to hold off until you see this kit!

Here are a very small number of sheets of laser. And I mean small number!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

1664837098_Victoryhullassembly.thumb.jpg.fa7623099c2437681e21319beab5e1ba.jpg

was about 10 years ago i had a conversation with the wife over the Caldercraft Victory or Euromodel Royal William (victory won) is the same subject going to repeat its self again

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

7 hours ago, James H said:

Except this time, there is only one choice 😄

only this time i think it might be to expensive, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

41 minutes ago, BobG said:

Wow...what are the overall dimensions of this model?

1.6 metres long

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished