HMS Winchelsea by rafine 1/48

On 8/3/2021 at 4:41 PM, rafine said:

Thanks OC. It’s been an up and down kind of year. Last weeks post will be the last for about a month until we return to Florida.

Bob

Beautiful progress Bob, keep that beautiness and ofcourse the updates going, always a real pleasure to watch and read!

By the way, I took a sneak peak on google maps at Delray Beach and those are some nice surroundings!
Any Dutch immigrants there? 

Current builds on MSW:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48

Prior builds on MSW:

None

Thanks so much Frank. You’re right about the surroundings, but I’m afraid that I  can’t answer about Dutch immigrants, bu t you would certainly be welcome.

Bob

Looking forward to more progress when you are settled Bob,   I have to say  - this build to my eyes is your best so far  - its  bursting with quality and detail  - loving it my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 1 month later...

I'm finally back from New Jersey, where we ironically ran into a hurricane. Nearly six weeks away didn't change my mind about redoing the forward pump handles, so that was the first thing that I did upon returning. Next, I did the aft handles. After those, the elm pumps were next. I was having trouble creating slots in the laser cut brackets for the handles, so I chose to make up my own by laminating three pieces of 1/32" strip and shaping  that assembly appropriately. To complete the chapter seven work, I added the remaining deck beams and their knees.

Now, I will wait for Chuck's return and the release of the chapter eight parts and the stove.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_bde.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_be1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_be2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_be3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_be4.jpeg

Beautiful work.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice work Bob. Always a pleasure to see your work!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I am now in the midst of the chapter eight work. In summary, I added the foremast coat, the bowsprit  step, the manger boards, the forward riding bitts, the Y bitt,  the forward six deck beams and their hanging and lodging knees and the the fore mast partner and its carlings. Most of the work was straightforward, but some of the fitting of the parts (such as the manger boards) is quite fiddly. I should add that I moved the notches for the forward deck beams, as called out by Chuck , and in accordance with the templates ,which were used constantly and were essential. 

I will now build the stove  and complete the remainder of the chapter eight work.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_be5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_be6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_be7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_be8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bea.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_beb.jpeg

sMDoF6%tTLG1NifMG02bZg.jpg

fullsizeoutput_bec.jpeg

Great job Bob! This frigate just keeps getting more beautiful!

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Splendid work Bob. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I've completed the stove. This little gem is a tribute to Chuck's skill, both in design and production. Even a very old guy like me would have trouble screwing it up. A fun item. I tried some weathering, but liked it better without, so repainted over it.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_bed.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bee.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bef.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bf1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bf2.jpeg

Work is now complete on chapter eight. This included the making and mounting of the aft riding bitts, mounting of the previously made stove, mounting of the partial bulkhead, mounting of the remaining  focs'l deck beams with their hanging and lodging knees, the mizzen mast partner, and making and installation of the carlings and ledges for both the focs'l and quarterdeck, and the mounting of the cat tails.

A lot of tasks done, but mostly straightforwardThe last attached photo shows the overall  current  state of completion. further work will await Chuck's completion of chapter nine and release of it's parts.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_bf3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bf4.jpeg

kx4szWT5TJ+%rUgqDxbIvw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_bfd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bfc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bf8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bf5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bfa.jpeg

Incredible work Bob, as usual! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Its going to be a while.  You are too quick for me.   How about the gunport lids….did you make those yet?

I am making steady progress now so hopefully soon enough.  But you will run through Chapter 9 and be ready for ten really quickly too.

Thanks so much Hamilton. 

Thanks Chuck for the update. I haven’t done the lids yet and probably won't for a while,  as I find them an attractive nuisance that draws body parts to them during other work. With regard to pace of work, as I told Frank, at 82, I’m afraid that I can’t afford to slow down. 

Bob