Swallow 1779 by tlevine - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

This is how it looks with the upper mold removed and then out of the mold.

98185625_Casting6a.thumb.jpg.98803a1f390a357fc9719919ffc3402e.jpg608608686_Casting7c2.jpg.e35f8b64fb4ba10d4eb0e067d1090c6e.jpg

In the middle is the master anchor, to the right is the cast anchor after polishing and to the left is the anchor after taking a bath in Blue Jacket's Pewter Black.

2071987418_Casting8b.jpg.799a0960056b63113819ca5f366a59bc.jpg

I applied the seizing and puddening to the anchor ring and then installed them on the anchors.

1362061330_Casting9a.thumb.jpg.9884e964b196c350bba3588ea1f2f47a.jpg

The anchor stock was made next.  You can see the holes drilled for the bolts and treenails. 

1902143693_Anchorcomponentsa.thumb.jpg.1bcc2c5ba15b0d7ea91823958b99f3ac.jpg
The stock was then applied to the anchor and the "iron" rings were applied.   These are actually made from paper.  Overall, I am pleased with the result.

694528831_Anchorcompleteda.thumb.jpg.951dd325907b638b7f49f5687c31c348.jpg

As I mentioned previously, I want to show the starboard anchor lashed to the hull.  As the ship's base will be a launching ways, the hawser cable would not be attached.  These pictures show the only location for the anchor that does not block any of the ports.  I have been looking in all the books I have, as well as looking at models on the RMG site, and cannot figure out how it should be secured.  I presume the shaft would be lashed to the aft timberhead but there must be some other rope securing it.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

1302371806_Anchorinplace1a.thumb.jpg.907e1319cdb34d54da03454c0e49e37f.jpg997025316_Anchorinplace2a.thumb.jpg.8d66f67240e47c121d5fe3217a0056ce.jpg

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Toni-

First:  fantastic work!

Second: while no expert on the subject, it seems to me that some sort of temporary block and tackle would have been rigged through the cathead to support the "forward" end of the anchor while a lashing was made to the timber head to support the "aft" end (as you mentioned).  Sometime after launch, during fitting out, the permanent tackle for the cathead would replace the temporary one. This is all conjecture, though, in light of the high probability that the anchors would not have been shipped at all until final fitting out and the installation of the hawsers.

Jack

Nice castings and finish, Toni!

There may well have been a shankpainter chain used to secure the anchor, rather than the anchor lovingly hugging the swivel mount. It would be about in line with the aft end of the billboard/lining. This would raise the anchor shank parallel to the rail and the stock should then clear the water.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Although I installed a shankpainter chain on Atalanta, I have no idea how they worked.  Getting the stock out of the water sounds like a good idea.

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

How does this look?  The shankpainter would be bolted to the hull and drawn up over the bottom of the anchor shank and secured to a cleat on the inside bulwark.  The top of the shank would be secured to a timberhead.

1114159078_Shankpaintera.jpg.66e378d029af961c30ff259af156727d.jpg

Toni

1 hour ago, tlevine said:

Getting the stock out of the water sounds like a good idea.

Yep. Sounds good to me too.

"Anchors Aweigh!"...Nice work, Toni.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

That's the general idea, Toni. There would also be sacrificial blocks of wood on the rail to protect it. However, there is one drawback: it would be tricky to get the anchor past the fore channel, deadeyes and laniards. I think that the chain would be secured to an eyebolt inside the bulwark with a hook on the 'free' end that engages a second eyebolt inside. Call in the Time Machine to be really sure!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi Toni - 

Those are two excellent anchors.  And thanks for showing your casting methods.  My own experiments in that area have been less than completely satisfactory.

Next time I will turn back to your explanations and try again.

As for handling the anchor, since I don't have access to druxey's time machine, I pull out "The Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor" by Darcy Lever and see what he says.

There is usually a good explanation of the process.

Congratulations on the completion, or near completion, of a really sweet ship model.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Thank you to everyone who has looked in.  Dan, I looked at Darcy Lever initially and (possibly because of his archaic writing style) ended up more confused then ever.  A 21st century interpretation would be great.  In the meantime, I will try druxey's advise.

Toni

After looking at other models for ships this size, I decided to secure the lower shank with the shank painter.  As druxey suggested, one end is attached to a ringbolt inside the bulwark and the free end terminates in a hook which is secured in a second ringbolt. The upper part of the shaft and the ring were tied off to timberheads.  I have added a block of wood on the rail under the anchor to protect the rail from damage.

1768938855_Anchorinstalled1a.thumb.jpg.cdf81667cbd4ee054800213fd699ae54.jpg

399585949_Anchorinstalled3a.jpg.254819574b39062ba869fdeb69508721.jpg

1536035661_Anchorinstalled2a.thumb.jpg.ec1f7a438205abb68670414212727607.jpg

309149302_Anchorinstalledstacked2a.jpg.c7dae8d539afeaa4fd150261d1805749.jpg

1806655266_Anchorinstalledstacked3a.jpg.114fb0022b702b9efdc37385803385bf.jpg

Toni

I am getting ready to install the swivel guns I made last year.  They look too tall to be used comfortably.  Does anyone know what elevation the muzzle should be from the deck when it is horizontal?  I am guessing eye level but would hate to install them and then find out I guessed wrong.

Toni

Based in information obtained in another thread (thanks to everyone for their input), I have decided to have the muzzle height at 4 feet from the deck.  Leaving for the Admiralty Models workshop tomorrow morning so there will not be any updates for a week.

Toni

Thanks, Greg.

Toni

Swallow is finished, other than a few touch-ups which will be addressed after I mount her.  My plan is to duplicate the base from RMG as much as possible.  It will probably take me a few weeks to source the wood and draw up the plans.

253949067_Finishedstarboardcopya.thumb.jpg.fbbf10ec2c7fbbdcc081545626ecf26f.jpg

802308756_Finishedstarboardforequartercopya.thumb.jpg.e18dd9bc6c4f929bc32611baed716b9f.jpg

65776084_Finishedstarboardaftquartera.thumb.jpg.4545b0274c2d0c5144839c945dbf737b.jpg

821937447_Finishedbowcopyacopy.thumb.jpg.9f9eb7b624600737a24baa7d90276634.jpg

985330258_Finishedaftcopya.thumb.jpg.cacfaf57a8aa88bf3a8817b8b1a1975d.jpg  

Toni

Would you build a model of the model (which is what I seriously thought of doing) or a model of how she and her sister ship Drake were built?

Toni

I would have probably built a model of the model....because source info is scarce on her.   The model in the NMM of course.  I would have found a draft of a similar ship and used those lines but then I would try and replicate the model.  It would be tough with it being in the UK however.  But if it was in the Rogers Collection I would do it for certain.

A beautiful model, Toni, with great attention to detail.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's a beautiful model Toni. I especially admire the fact that you have cast all the iron work yourself despite the presence of perfectly respectable items in the market place. Perhaps one day you'll come back and rig her when the mood strikes.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks to everyone for your support.  Greg, rigging her is not on the horizon.  I already have three models that are incomplete because I abandoned their rigging.  As to what's next, the base will take a bit of time.  I have been considering Chapelle's  Glad Tidings as a change of century.  It only took the Smithsonian a year to send me the plans.  Their excuse was that their copier was broken (and, no, I did not suggest Office Max).

Toni